Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new Eircom ads on Xbox 360...

• 05-02-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Anyone else been noticing these? They're horrible orange things that stick out like a sore thumb. I noticed it yesterday while playing Pro Evo and then I saw them in Skate 2 (plastered nearly everywhere) today.

Anyone know if there's an option to turn them off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Nope. They paid for the advertising to be there online. It's another way for games to make money. I posted a photo in the Skate 2 thread...

P2040459.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha brillent. I think thats kinda funny seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Are these only when you play online?

Are these only when you play online?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

no thanks :cool:

anyone ever notice most people who have problems with there net connection have eircom

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

In tiger woods 08 there were shampoo ads all over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dazftw wrote: »

anyone ever notice most people who have problems with there net connection have eircom

I never really had that much of a problem with eircom.

PS. Holy crap batman you have some gaming points boy. Your also in Waterford, hmmm, Wanna loan of my xbox so ya can play all your games again then Ill have a cool score like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There was Barack O' Bama and Irish vodafone ads in Burnout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

i'd like to see them plaster eircom posters on a wall in world at war lol
    havin seen anything on mine yet sure i only played cod 4 for 20 mins today
    whats the world coming to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anyone else been noticing these? They're horrible orange things that stick out like a sore thumb. I noticed it yesterday while playing Pro Evo and then I saw them in Skate 2 (plastered nearly everywhere) today.

Anyone know if there's an option to turn them off?

haha funny guy... nope cant turn em off.. its the new 'super cool' media machine taking over the gameworlds... its now goign to be widley used in games that there will be advertisements ingame, its a source of income for publishers and developers... but they have also stated that they will only use relevant advertisement to relevant games... not like womens lingerie in cod or ads for fairy liquid in fifa!! would be funny tho!!
    dazftw wrote: »

been with eircom years! never had any problems.. the odd logout here and there but very consistent much more than them brit servers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

There'll all over Burnout Paradise too - some crap slogan like "Pimp your engine! Get Eircom blah, blah, blah..." - no thanks, I'll stick with my 20Mb UPC! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

There's some pretty bad examples of this in Far Cry 2 as well 58554emotsuicide.gif

7318FC2_ads_02.jpg
    51662FC2_ads_04.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ffs. Way to ruin any sense of immersion.

the burger add got me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

rizzla wrote: »
    Yes.
    :confused:
    I get them on single player too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lol at the "Relyable" bit :D :pac:

Nick

ShaneU wrote: »
    :confused:
    I get them on single player too

What I meant was, if your connected online.

Saw more eircom ads in NFS: Undercover. They said "Slow down and read this".

There's some pretty bad examples of this in Far Cry 2 as well 58554emotsuicide.gif

7318FC2_ads_02.jpg
    51662FC2_ads_04.jpg

haha.. this should be a sticky.. funny ads in games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Stephen wrote: »
    Ffs. Way to ruin any sense of immersion.

well it is actually more true to life no? :pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why did I pay 55 euro for a transport package for ads?

Shouldnt they be handing these games out for free or at least discounted since you are getting ads by the backdoor (and with no conscious agreement from me).

DeV.

• Advertisement

i agree with ya
    i dont remember being asked anything about games been disrupted with adds or have my xbox live discounted

what happins if some off them ads offend me?

Wy don't you guys complain to the people who matter, Microsoft?

Same can be said for irish tv stations who recieve money from the licence fee yet still subdue us to ads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Looks like it's the way of the future - no different from magazines, papers etc if you ask me. Always been ads inbetween news, articles etc.

rizzla wrote: »
    Wy don't you guys complain to the people who matter, Microsoft?

Same can be said for irish tv stations who recieve money from the licence fee yet still subdue us to ads.

hang on ill check me phone for bill's number
    ya know quite well what happins when you talk to them at the xbox customer care told nothing they can do its not their department have a nice day

as said before only the appropriate material will be used in the ads for the genre of game it will be applied too... while i dont fully endorse ads in games it does bring the sense of realism more into the experience like walking through the ruins of berlin/stalingrad and walking by shops with ads on the windows or ground... or in football games which have being doing it for years around the sides of ptiches...

dont know how u can be offended by ads as if u were offended it just means you've taken notice and it has worked... i personallay take ads for what they are i dont buy a product because it has a cool ad or likewise i wouldnt not buy something i wanted or needed because its ads were offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I saw a Royal Navy billboard in one of the Need For Speed games, there's also Golden Delicious apples in Cod4

[quote=wandatowell there's also Golden Delicious apples in Cod4[/quote]

was that on muti player or just sigle player?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think most of the comments in here are founded completely not in reality,
    firstly I think any dig at Xbox love here is completely unfounded it would be with the devs,
    some saying it breaks immersion? not really, normal real cities have ad's it would make sense for fake cities like new san vanelona to have them also,
    I don't know why you would be requested to agree to have adds in your game, It's like saying that in a movie that is set in new york can't show the ad's all over time square or something equally ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think most of the comments in here are founded completely not in reality,
    firstly I think any dig at Xbox love here is completely unfounded it would be with the devs,
    some saying it breaks immersion? not really, normal real cities have ad's it would make sense for fake cities like new san vanelona to have them also,
    I don't know why you would be requested to agree to have adds in your game, It's like saying that in a movie that is set in new york can't show the ad's all over time square or something equally ridiculous.

At least on tv you can change channels / shut your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears and activally choose not to view the ad's.

Try doing that in skate 2 = instant bail :D

Might be a bit dangerous doint in times square in real life id imagine :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

DeVore wrote: »
    Why did I pay 55 euro for a transport package for ads?

Shouldnt they be handing these games out for free or at least discounted since you are getting ads by the backdoor (and with no conscious agreement from me).

DeV.

I was about to ask if games featuring these ads were going to be reduced.

Imagine Fallout3 having a big ad on a billboard in the deserted land:mad:

Advertisement