Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new Eircom ads on Xbox 360...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was about to ask if games featuring these ads were going to be reduced.

Imagine Fallout3 having a big ad on a billboard in the deserted land:mad:

Lol yes at least in skate they are not so out of place even though eircom being the only bb provider in san van is a bit unrealistic :rolleyes:

Thankfully not the case in real life :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you tolerate this... everything will be next.

You pay for games, you pay for XBOX Live and they still ram ads down your throat.

I intensely dislike it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

DeVore wrote: »
    If you tolerate this... everything will be next.

You pay for games, you pay for XBOX Live and they still ram ads down your throat.

I intensely dislike it.

DeV.

Tolerate what? a billboard in a game? oooh very frightening prospect next they'll have ads in movies or in songs or god forbid tv!! fact is it'll always be around, product placement in movies/tv, sports stars, movies stars campaigning for companies... muscians supporting a particular type of brand.. even office talk,friends talking,ppl, human nature... recommending a product to a friend is that nto a word of mouth style advertisement?

what about the music of bands in games i personally hate some of the bands that they pay to put on their game but i tolerate it as i know there are ppl out there that hate the stuff i listen to... point being if u were offended it just means you've taken notice and it has worked... i personallay take ads for what they are i dont buy a product because it has a cool ad or likewise i wouldnt not buy something i wanted or needed because its ads were offensive.

its just there and thats it.. i just wasted my time writing that hah

plus its not your games its their games! wit the increase in piracy and les money coming in through sales and the prices of consoles being driven down this is a source of income for the developers of the games that you love to use the money for wages/r&D/research and everything that made the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

well ive not come accross it properly yet but as the other lad pointed out having billboards on a deserted island saying grab your 7 meg download is a bit out of place aint it and ruins the game for some dont ya think??

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Tolerate what? a billboard in a game? oooh very frightening prospect next they'll have ads in movies or in songs or god forbid tv!! fact is it'll always be around, product placement in movies/tv, sports stars, movies stars campaigning for companies... muscians supporting a particular type of brand.. even office talk,friends talking,ppl, human nature... recommending a product to a friend is that nto a word of mouth style advertisement?

I disagree, the reason most people play games is for a bit of escapism, if I wanted adverts I would use a medium that encouraged them. If in a post apocalyptic wasteland I see orange advert's for a certain phone company's "super fast" 7mb line I can't help but think that the illusion is somewhat damaged.

Also why are they advertising broadband to those with broadband connections already, it seems to be somewhat redundant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

escapism.... ah the cop out... fair enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

In Splinter Cell; DA They started updating the game to put in ads in levels like boss house, ads for assasins creed and other crap like that, it looked so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

escapism.... ah the cop out... fair enough!

while the condescending talk down is much more appropriate. I bow to your superior intellect.

I don't want to pay to have adverts thrown at me, if the games were subsidized then maybe it would make sense but we're paying more than ever and the adverts are getting more intrusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,752 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I didnt realise they had started doing this in games already.
    A complete joke if you ask me. I have to agree with numerous posters here who do not agree with this. What next?
    For those who says it actually adds to the realism.....please.......its pure and unadulterated creaming the thing for every penny it is worth.
    You pay for the game, the hardware to play it on, your XBL gold account and then get hammered by adds (this is what will eventually happen).
    It cant be compared to TV/Radio or Billboard adds either in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I was about to ask if games featuring these ads were going to be reduced.

Imagine Fallout3 having a big ad on a billboard in the deserted land:mad:

In a game like Fallout, you're right, it would be totally out of place.

Hopefully it's managed correctly. I have no problem with the ads appearing in Skate 2 or similar games set in a modern world. The ones shown in this thread don't really ruin anything of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The setting is San Vanelona; a mixture of San Francisco, Vancouver and Barcelona.

Yeah, an Eircom ad is reeaaaaally in context. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

DeVore wrote: »
    The setting is San Vanelona; a mixture of San Francisco, Vancouver and Barcelona.

Yeah, an Eircom ad is reeaaaaally in context. :)

DeV.

If it's a fictional place with a mix of San Francisco, Vancouver and Barcelona, why can't it have a bit of Dublin in there too with an Eircom ad? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

ggeeerrrruuuuupppp owa dat will ya the game i think should be left alone and in its un touched state ads for scare com in the middle of a desert island is not right do ya agree
    on the side o the pitch on pro evo on the billboard is where ya'd expect to see them and i think they should stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Similar to Burnout Paradise, set in a fictional American city. Eircom ads are out of place. Ads for something more international like Coke or the latest Hollywood film or something wouldn't be.

Advertisement