Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta Sports

Options
  • 05-02-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Is there a thread on this already?

I'm looking to cancel and read on another site that it can be extremely hard to finalise it.

Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hayden*

I only joined 2 weeks ago and they said that if you want to cancel you have to do it in writing either by post or e-mail and you have to do it 30 days before your next payment is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Yeh I've understood all that. The site I read it on was in the UK and it basically says what u said but when it comes to actually cancelling they either do not reply and spin a yarn saying you need to do this and that.

Just looking for info on anyone in Ireland who cancelled and what measures they took to do so and if it's the same farce that uk customers experience.

Whilst I'm here do you think that the cost of having Setanta, I think it's €20 a month I pay, I do watch the golf on a weekly basis and it's great for a match now and again on a sat afternoon and evening, but that's about it, twice a week is all I watch it, does anyone think it's good value at the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Famous45 wrote: »
    Yeh I've understood all that. The site I read it on was in the UK and it basically says what u said but when it comes to actually cancelling they either do not reply and spin a yarn saying you need to do this and that.

Just looking for info on anyone in Ireland who cancelled and what measures they took to do so and if it's the same farce that uk customers experience.

Whilst I'm here do you think that the cost of having Setanta, I think it's €20 a month I pay, I do watch the golf on a weekly basis and it's great for a match now and again on a sat afternoon and evening, but that's about it, twice a week is all I watch it, does anyone think it's good value at the price?

We were talking about this last night actually, and while it probably sounds like a lot, you can rationalise it.

Let's say you wanted to go to the pub to watch a single match, or a round of golf, you'd comfortably spend €20, and probably more. You'd do this once a week perhaps, which suddenly is €80 a month, and that's just having a couple of pints, it's not even going on the beer into town. Now that wouldn't feel as much because you're spending it in drips and drabs, but €20 is a round of drinks.

We have broadband, digital television with Sky Sports & Setanta packages with UPC, and the bill is around €215 every two months. There's no doubt that is a wedge of money, but if you spread it over two months and consider what else you spend €215 on over the same time period, it's not that much of a rip off IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I totally agree with you. I don't think it's a rip off, I just wonder if it's sensible to justify paying that amount when it's only twice a week at most that it's tuned into to.

I can watch the same golf coverage online without the delay that Setanta have so it's kinda swaying me to end my subscrition with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Only you can say if it's sensible or good value. Lets be honest we know nothing about your means so it's impossible to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 biggerry

I cancelled in November. I called customer support to cancel. They put me through to somebody else who offered me 3 months subscription for €10 per month as I was a "valuable customer":). I declined and was then told that I needed to write or e-mail saying I wanted to un-subscribe and that I would be disconnected 30 days after my next payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Same as biggerry above. They now accept cancellation notices via email (they usen't). I've blogged the gorey details, in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Like some of the others have said, if you ring them to cancel, they will try to keep you as a customer and offer you a 'deal' for something like 10.99/month for 3 months. So you might be inclined to keep it on at that price, which is excellent value.

Actually in my own experience when the special 'deal' ends (after the 3 months say) if you call to cancel again they will just offer another deal! If you play this game, Setanta is great value. They have alot of sport these days compared with Sky Sports, although I think they have lost the rights to the premiership next season if I'm not mistaken.

Advertisement