Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots for a once-off hike

Options
  • 05-02-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am looking to do a trip to abroad this year that involves some hiking (sometimes snowy, mountaineous, dark - but just for a few hours at a time over a few days). I've been advised that I need 'good hiking boots'. Thing is, I don't want to spend too much money on them because I'm not planning on taking it up as a regular hobby. But would I be right in thinking they'd come in useful when out and about in bad weather (watching sports events in muddy fields etc)?

So what should I look for and how much should I spend?

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

'I want really good boots really cheap'! The question that everyone wants answered!

There is a shopping for boots thread here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239696

I got HiTec VLites, seem fine for trekking but haven't exactly been using them too long or clambering up the Khyber in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It depends on where you're going treking - snowy and mountainous? Could require a pair of 4 seasons that will cost more. We need more details really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Evil Phil wrote: »
    It depends on where you're going treking - snowy and mountainous? Could require a pair of 4 seasons that will cost more. We need more details really.

Tracking wildlife in Piatra Craiului, near Brasov, Romania in April.

Ok, I've had a look around, and with all the sales going on, it looks to me like I could get something suitable for under 50 EUR (?). So, where in Leinster would be a good place for me to look for my hiking boots?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say that Mary Street and Capel Street in Dublin have good outdoors shops. As does Great Outdoors on Chatam Street. Going to sound like a broken down record player to my regular readers (:pac:) but whatever you buy go and get them fitted properly in Great Outdoors. Its well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, doing the Salkantay trek to Machu Piccu and said I'd buy a pair when I got there since Peru should be well cheap.

Turns out that Peruvians have smaller feet than Irishmen! Couldn't buy a size 11 boot for love or money, just when I was giving up all hope I got pointed in the direction of a rental shop.

Rented a rock solid, well broken in pair of boots for the 5 days which fit like slippers!

If I were you I'd look into any rental options there might be wherever you're hiking, you should be able to get a good pair for cheap, they should be well broken in and you avoid having to lug the things around with you.

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Belfast this weekend so do any of you know of any good shops there that I could try?

Cheers

Advertisement