Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vapour Control Layer

• 05-02-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was wondering do i need a vapour control layer on my external block walls. i have a double leaf block wall with 65mm PIR insulation in 100mm cavity I want to use a Insulated board 30mm insulation 12.5 plasterboard, i have a couple of questions,
    1. Can i fix directly onto block wall with mushroom fixings, or is it better to dot and dab.
    2. Should i use a product with a Vapour control layer built in or if i use a product that does'nt have it built in, how do i install it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

1. Can i fix directly onto block wall with mushroom fixings, or is it better to dot and dab.

Install as per manufacturers recommendation. IMO 30mm with mushroom fixings is fine, others may worry about condensation but IMO 30mm won't make that much of a difference in a habital home.
    2. Should i use a product with a Vapour control layer built in or if i use a product that does'nt have it built in, how do i install it.
    Thanks.

IMO its better to fit a proper certified vapour barrier. The junction of the wall with the floor and the wall with the roof / ceiling is critical. These areas require overlapping of materials and proper sealing. Have a look at Siga, ProClima & Moy web sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Independent

RKQ wrote: »
    Install as per manufacturers recommendation. IMO 30mm with mushroom fixings is fine, others may worry about condensation but IMO 30mm won't make that much of a difference in a habital home.

Thanks RKO, when you say 30mm wont make much difference in a home, what would and how?

Advertisement