Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Draft - Knockout Stage Round 1 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd assume it is a case of taking the winners from the last round and the people who got a bye, and drawing another set of fixtures at random from that group. Then, setting up the discussion thread and 'match' threads/polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

So the results were as follows:

Shoutman beat Wreck

Mr Nice Guy beat Xavi6

NekidBibleMan beat DITpoker

Bubs101 beat Meilion

Mitch Connor beat Janets on Clubs

Whatawaster beat Gonzovision

Rasta beat Iago

Necronomicron beat Frisbee

so the following are in the last 16
    1.Trippie
    2.eagle eye
    3.wardie
    4.titan18
    5.Eirebear
    6.LuckyLloyd
    7.bohsman
    8.mayordenis
    9.Shoutman
    10.MrNiceGuy
    11.NekkidBibleMan
    12.Bubs101
    13.Mitch Connor
    14.Whatawaster
    15.Nicronomicron
    16.Rasta

Once the results of all these matches have been confirmed I'll do a draw for the next round.

Can someone just confirm that the results are right, i'm not sure as some of the polls have more then 25 votes cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

shoutman wrote: »
    Can someone just confirm that the results are right, i'm not sure as some of the polls have more then 25 votes cast.

i'll check through them now

Eliminating those that weren't eligible to vote, just the participants and Eirebhoy allowed:

Shoutman 9 - 9 Wreck

Mr Nice Guy 14 - 5 Xavi

Nekkidbibleman 11 - 5 Ditpoker

Bubs101 13 - 6 Melion

Mitch Connor 12 - 6 Janets on Clubs

Whatawaster 16 - 1 Gonzovision

RasTa 10 - 8 Iago

Frisbee 1 - 16 Necronomicon

The only game in a tie is Shoutman v Wreck. I don't know how we're going to choose between them, but if we are to allow some of those who hadn't cast their vote yet to do so, then my vote goes to Shoutman, and not just because of the effort you're putting in here, but because i think your team is better. i'm not sure how we will do it though. It's the only real close match, so maybe someone should check my figures on that one.

anyone any ideas about what to do with the drawn match? Allow more votes?

anyone any ideas about what to do with the drawn match? Allow more votes?

with the drawn match, maybe take the full vote?

with the drawn match, maybe take the full vote?

i'd be happy with that if others are

i'd be happy with that if others are

Make a note of who is in the lead now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Well since the purpose of Eirebhoy voting was to stop draws in the event of a tie and his vote is used then surely just knock his out.

Also, does someone just want to make a draw tonight. I can do it allocating songs to people on Itunes and pressing shuffle then just matching those beside each other

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Well since the purpose of Eirebhoy voting was to stop draws in the event of a tie and his vote is used then surely just knock his out.

Also, does someone just want to make a draw tonight. I can do it allocating songs to people on Itunes and pressing shuffle then just matching those beside each other

In either of those events i think Shoutman wins.

That's genius, and there was me ready to cut up bits of paper to put in my best hat. if we're going ahead you can do the draw that way if you like

Lol yea i had been searching google for a program that randomly picks numbers between 1 and 16 lol.

Provisional draw is the following as done according to White Blood Cells

Mitch Connor vs. Shoutman
    Eagle Eye vs. Trippie
    LuckyLlyod vs. Bubs101
    Whatawaster vs. MayorDenis
    Necronomicon vs. Rasta
    Wardie vs. Bohsman
    Titan18 vs. Eirebear
    MNG vs NBM

Will hold off making threads until enough people give a go ahead. Thinks it's safe to assume it's no fix given my draw

my god - random number generators, assigning people to songs, shuffling....SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO NERDY!! :D

the fact that he used White Blood Cells makes it all ok

It's quite hard to find an album with 16 tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm fully confident that my team can go to MNG's fortress and get the away goal.

(If only I was the home side. My ground is in Eastern Europe you see, and Bergkamp wouldn't be making that journey!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Eliminating those that weren't eligible to vote, just the participants and Eirebhoy allowed:

Shoutman 9 - 9 Wreck

The only game in a tie is Shoutman v Wreck. I don't know how we're going to choose between them, but if we are to allow some of those who hadn't cast their vote yet to do so, then my vote goes to Shoutman, and not just because of the effort you're putting in here, but because i think your team is better. i'm not sure how we will do it though. It's the only real close match, so maybe someone should check my figures on that one.

Sorry, I've only just seen this today. Given that I've already conceded in the match up thread, I hereby forfeit the match to Shoutman. Don't confuse this we me not caring - I'm still very bitter about this loss :pac:.

Good luck to everyone still in for the next rounds.

I think that in similar circumstances taking Eirebhoy's vote out is the fairest way to do it since he was meant to stop this

• Advertisement

I think that in similar circumstances taking Eirebhoy's vote out is the fairest way to do it since he was meant to stop this

as Eirebhoys vote is supposed to break a deadlock, should his vote count if there is no deadlock? just wondering....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Eirebhoy's vote is to be taken as any other vote as far as i know because we had 24 runners. It was to create a voting imbalance not for him to be the judge in tied match's. Im pretty sure he wasnt under the impression that he was only allowed vote if the games were tied.

It doesn't make a difference. If there's no deadlock, the result will be the same regardless of Eirebhoy's vote.

Trippie wrote: »
    Eirebhoy's vote is to be taken as any other vote as far as i know because we had 24 runners. It was to create a voting imbalance not for him to be the judge in tied match's. Im pretty sure he wasnt under the impression that he was only allowed vote if the games were tied.

It's not that. The reason he was allowed to vote in the first place was to stop a tie. In any match that's not a tie his vote will be counted. In the event that the match is a tie and he has voted than without his vote it wouldn't have been a tie making the reason for his voting in the first place backfire completely.

I'll put up the other 4 matches around monday/tuesday btw

I must say lads i'm disappointed that no one spotted Jags photo beside Short beforehand, ah well. I've posted my reasons for why I think my team is better then Mitch's.

Some of the write-ups are addressing the question of who would win in a match between the two sides... which isn't really the question we're voting on.

• Advertisement

Some of the write-ups are addressing the question of who would win in a match between the two sides... which isn't really the question we're voting on.

I've made that point in my writeup, hopefully people take it on board. However, I suppose if one team is considered better in a one off game by the majority, the majority would probably bacnk them to do better over a season too. I think the one off game/season issue really comes into when looking at injury prone players.

However, I suppose if one team is considered better in a one off game by the majority, the majority would probably bacnk them to do better over a season too. I think the one off game/season issue really comes into when looking at injury prone players.

That's a debatable point. In the draw, one team's strengths may effectively target their drawn opponent's weaknesses, but that doesn't tell us which team would win over 38 games against varying opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm fully confident that my team can go to MNG's fortress and get the away goal.

(If only I was the home side. My ground is in Eastern Europe you see, and Bergkamp wouldn't be making that journey!)

Denis asked me if he can pull a sickie but I told him I'd give him a small dose of Dreamy Sleepy Night Snoozey Snooze which will hopefully get him through the flight. Not too much though or I'll have to find me some fake rubber arms and a remote controlled wheelchair. :D

How long does the voting in this round run for?

How long does the voting in this round run for?

I set it up for a week because i was in England this weekend. I'll lash up the last of the matches now and have them on for four days so it should be in sync a little. Normally it won't take as long. My computer is ****ed at the moment so i'm using a much slower one

• Advertisement

7 days for first batch, 4 for next. I'm having a bit of a problem here I think. Just typed out all of those threads but I can't see them here at all. Massive computer problems. If people want them up tonight and they aren't there could someone else do these 4, if not I can do them round 10-ish tommorow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

I was doing my update and it took a while to get all the games up.

Added them in so easier to go through and vote in each one

Titan18 vs Eirebear

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055502272

Mr. Nice Guy vs.NekkidBibleman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055502278

Bubs101 vs. Luckylloyd

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499654

Whatawaster vs. Mayor Dennis

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499657

Shoutman vs. Mitch Connor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499646

Wardie vs. bohsman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055502262

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

when will the results be available?

I made a mistake thinking that 7 days for the first one and 4 for the next one would be a good idea because I couldn't put them up on the weekend. I think they're finished today and if they are I'll put all the rounds up at once this time for four days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Most of the polls have closed and the results are now viewable. The rest all close by 19.00 this evening. Good game Bubs, close one in the end.

EDIT

Actually, I think I won my match.

Shoutman won the 'popular vote' 13 to 12. But not all people voting were involved so I don't think their votes count.

I think the votes are:

For Shoutman: eagle eye, eirebhoy, NekkidBibleMan, shoutman, wardie, (5)
    For Me: Frisbee, Iago, Mitch Connor, Mr.Nice Guy, Necronomicon, RasTa, titan18, Trippie, whatawaster, (9)

votes i don't think count:

For Shoutman - Bounty Hunter, MementoMori, menoscemo, Pacifico, PiE, redout, RichTea, smackbunnybaby
    For Me - Idu, Pepe LeFrits, Shaque attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So now what happens, that the results are up?

Mitch did indeed win comfortably .Dissapointed to have lost because I feel I have a better team than a few of the 8 below but having said that Lloyd's team would be near the top of the pile of those 8

Whatawaster vs. Wardie
    MNG vs. Eagle Eye
    Lloyd vs. Necromicon
    Mitch Connor vs. Titan18

Considering there are only 4 I'll put them all up now and they'll run for 4 days. Usual rules apply. MNG vs. Eagle Eye should be very very interesting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

O well my horse has dropped outta the race... go mitch Conner! if your team is better than McGrath, Gerrard, Drogba and Co. then your my new pick to go all the way :D

• Advertisement

Okay good news and bad news, so thanks to Eagle Eye I added a poll to the Mitch Titan match. However, I'm tired and I ****ed up and put 2 in instead of 4 for the days allowed for the poll so if anyone wants to vote in that match after the two days could they please just post once in the thread with the name of their choice only

Sorry Mitch and Titan, thanks Eagle Eye

Well done Mitch, tbh I thought you had the stronger team so surprised I won any sort of popular vote.

Congrats and good luck with the rest of it.

given the various debates in the match threads it might be an idea for the semi final and final to let the protagonists have a day or two to post their arguments back and forth before the voting opens. The way it is at the moment one player might not even read the match thread until 5 or 10 people have voted.

given the various debates in the match threads it might be an idea for the semi final and final to let the protagonists have a day or two to post their arguments back and forth before the voting opens. The way it is at the moment one player might not even read the match thread until 5 or 10 people have voted.

Not a bad idea.

I have edited all of the polls so that the results should now be viewable to everyone...

I seem to have edged a close one against Necronomicon by 8 - 7 in terms of eligible voters, though I lost the overall vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I seem to have edged a close one against Necronomicon by 8 - 7 in terms of eligible voters, though I lost the overall vote!

I call shennanigans :p

Only joking, congrats. Disappointed to go out because I felt this one could really go either way, but at the outset I would've conceded there were a couple of stronger teams than mine so happy enough to have made it to the third round.

Been a pleasure guys.

Only joking, congrats. Disappointed to go out because I felt this one could really go either way, but at the outset I would've conceded there were a couple of stronger teams than mine so happy enough to have made it to the third round.

Been a pleasure guys.
    The fact that injury prone players are given credit for a full season means I could have had a dream team instead of picking a team with a bit more realism as regards a full season.
    Your team was excellent and I'm very surprised that you were beaten. Again you are up against a team with players who had periods of terrible form in the Premier League as well as injury prone players. Its just laughable really that you were beaten.

On my own team, well I believe that it was one of the best teams but I stood no hope of getting any votes after the thread exploded. I still don't believe that Mr Nice Guy should win it, if he does it makes a complete joke of the whole thing imo. And yes I'm talking about the injury prone players. Nothing personal Mr Nice Guy.

Been a pleasure guys.

Yeah gg, as I said in our match thread - I felt you drafted very well and put together a good group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eagle eye wrote: »
    The fact that injury prone players are given credit for a full season means I could have had a dream team instead of picking a team with a bit more realism as regards a full season.
    Your team was excellent and I'm very surprised that you were beaten. Again you are up against a team with players who had periods of terrible form in the Premier League as well as injury prone players. Its just laughable really that you were beaten.

On my own team, well I believe that it was one of the best teams but I stood no hope of getting any votes after the thread exploded. I still don't believe that Mr Nice Guy should win it, if he does it makes a complete joke of the whole thing imo. And yes I'm talking about the injury prone players. Nothing personal Mr Nice Guy.

Cheers. I didn't actually end up voting in yours because for the first day or two I was following the debate between you and MNG which started out well (which incidentally is why I like whatawaster's suggestion above) - then the thread kind of exploded which was a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eagle eye wrote: »

And you couldn't have been beaten because people preferred MNG's team to yours?
    That's not a possibility of course.
    Easier to blame it on people not liking you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    And you couldn't have been beaten because people preferred MNG's team to yours?
    That's not a possibility of course.
    Easier to blame it on people not liking you :rolleyes:
    I never said that. :rolleyes:

places on ignore list.

Advertisement