Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

I reconnected the phone and there is a dialing tone I think, so does that mean its not switched off and eircom could switch it back on instantly if they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

SteJay wrote: »
    I reconnected the phone and there is a dialing tone I think, so does that mean its not switched off and eircom could switch it back on instantly if they wanted?

Exactly that. And it's the 25.09 EUR and not 150 EUR

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How the hell is 100GB a month not enough for someone???

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I use magnet 8mb Broadband Fibre....what annoys me is that they don't offer anything above that for purely broadband, even though I have fibre to home...you have to get the tv package to get up to 24mb broadband, really annoying...anyone know why they don't offer more on pure broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Marlow wrote: »
    Exactly that. And it's the 25.09 EUR and not 150 EUR

/M

Cheers for your help, appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Operator9

Avoid Magnet Broadband like the plague! They are definitely the worst for breakdowns in service. And their technical support is appalling. If you want to save yourself hassle and money go anywhere but Magnet!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Operator9 wrote: »
    Avoid Magnet Broadband like the plague! They are definitely the worst for breakdowns in service. And their technical support is appalling. If you want to save yourself hassle and money go anywhere but Magnet!

This is your second post, and the first was also Magnet related. Is there anything specific you are having a problem with?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

I have magnet broadband for over 1 year and I have to say its the best out there. I used NTL (UPC) before them and they are nothing compared to Magnet. If you phone magnet they answer the phone in about 30 seconds!

I use my internet (8mb) every day and it has never failed... not even once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 phoenixenter

FALC0NR15 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I am after ordering Magnet 7.6 mb broadband. I would like to know what you guys think about Magnet. What are the download restrictions?e.g could I download 200-250GB a month? Is Magnet better than BT? I recently got rid of BT because I could only download 100GB which for me is not enough. Was switching from BT to Magnet a wise decision?
    Thanks for reading.

This is my exact problem
    Magnet told me they throttle, but not until 250-300GB
    Still resonable

Can you tell me when you left bt were charges incurred
    And did they keep line rental or did it revert to eircom

Also if you are having any problems with magnet could you let me know

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

2nd post! :rolleyes:

I have Magnet and find them excellent. Good quality, good customer service and barely any down time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Marlow wrote: »
    Well, if you put it like this, then the whole internet is contended.

When talking about contention and subscriber lines, Magnet and Smart are not contended. That they not necessarily have a 1:1 backbone network to what they sell to the users is a different issue. That is also something, if the need arises, that is easily solved/scaled.

As for Eircom/BT, the contention is applied at the DSLAM and that's a huge difference.

For UPC and most wireless type service, the contention lies in the last mile, as it's a Point to Multi-Point setup.

But saying that Magnet and Smart are contended is BS, when the users never get contention and they are looking to, that that is the case. (Magnet bitstream obviously is contended due to the fact, that Eircom contention at DSLAM applies). That yer man only is getting 6.5 mbit/s is down to line quality and is rate adaption. Something that Eircom would throw on top of the contention.

/Martin

ALL ISPs have a contended service on their residential lines. That applies to Smart, Magnet, BT, etc. This contention is always applied at DSLAM level. At least the contention mentioned here.

A normal ADSL2+ card has 32 slots available (or sub units, that’s the number of lines or customers), and, on average there should be at least 16 cards per shelf. Each shelf has a limited bandwidth, normally a GigE, two STM-4 cards or even one STM-1. So, you have, at least, 512 customers per shelf or DSLAM. That's 512 customers sharing a common pipe, and a max bandwidth of 2 mb per customer (using a GigE card ~1 gb, as an example).

If Magnet of Smart wanted to have a true uncontented network they would need to have, base on the previous example, a maximum of 50 customers per DSLAM. This is probably not accurate as it will depend on each customer profile but I am assuming all customers have 20 mb profiles, this is just an estimation.

To put things in perspective a basic business line could perfectly have a Leca single port 2mb HDSL card, that means that the entire card will only connect one customer (in opposite to the 32 of the ADSL2+ card). A Leca card (old but still in use) costs 2000 euro, and the NTU (~modem) over 800. So a business or an ISP invest 2800 euro on a single 2 mb line, plus the cost of the SDH card plus the rest of the equipment. Newer cards (Lesa8/Stic1) have more sub units (max of 8 subs or 8 customers) and are much more expensive, and you are still talking of a max of 8 customers per card. These layouts do provide 1:1 uncontented service unlike all residential lines, as for every sub a part of the pipe is reserved, this means that if you have a customer with a 2 mb line you will, for example on if you are using a SDH card (STM-1/4...), assign 2 mb (1984 kbps) off the total bandwidth (155 mbps or whatever), to that particular card/customer.

Dont think that Magnet or Smart have bigger transmission links. Many Eircom DSLAMs interconnect using STM-1. Some still use T1/T3 (10/45 mb).

Even fibre isnt. For an ISP, the trick is to know how to manage their network and to try to make this "limitations" unnoticeable.

If you want an uncontented service you will have to pay the price, this doesn’t come cheap.

I have Magnet Fibre and I can tell that is a contented service, but thanks to good network management I can barely notice it.

The reason why Magnet and Smart say they have an uncontented service is due to the amount of customers (very low) they have per exchange (same could be said about BT ADSL2+).

This is in regards contention, congestion is something different, and can happen at several levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

TechieEddy wrote: »
    2nd post! :rolleyes:

I have Magnet and find them excellent. Good quality, good customer service and barely any down time.

So do I, couldnt agree more

Advertisement