Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Galway - Gimme a job!!

Options
  • 05-02-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've just recently relocated to Galway and so far I'm loving it. I was made redundant just after Christmas and was struggling to pay my high rent in Dublin so took the offer of a cheaper room in Galway city.

I've been job hunting all week and while I realise it's only been a week of trying, I'm getting seriously worried by the lack of jobs. I knew it would be tough but thought there might be a slightly better chance here seeing as it's smaller and there are fewer people but that's flawed logic admittedly.

I've 6 years experience working as a PA/Receptionist and am willing to do any office based job. I'd also happily work in a cafe, bar or restaurant but don't know if they'd hire someone someone with no experience. I could always lie and say I have experience but..I just don't know!

Any advice on where to look etc? I've been to Fas and on every job site...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Sorry to here your job situation. I know the title might be misleading but have a read through this thread <clicky> and keep walking about the town for work. PA work can be hard to get because Galway is so small. You would need to be well known and come with good recommendations. Executives tend tohold on to their PAs if they are good. You would think that their would be Receptionists jobs but a lot of trades like Auctioneers and Car Dealers let go there Receptionists because the phone were not ringing and nobody was calling in. I'd also recommend the Galway Advertiser which is online and published today. Your not alone. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Two months and counting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Have you seen the queue outside the dole office in Galway on signing days?

Galway was always harder to find work even during the boom. Not only the pay was less than Dublin even though the cost of living is similar. There is a very narrow range of jobs to be had in Galway. You wouldn't believe how many graduates with decent degrees were working in places like Boston Scientific and Medtronics as product builders earning barely €400 a week. Not only that the kind of places you would have found work have gone quiet and don't need new staff. You will probably find a job but the pay will mean that you'll probably be no better off than in Dublin. But good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

its hard got atm, i got fed up waiting so i went on a back to eduaction scheme in the meantime, great time to be further educating yourself while jobs are scarce, good luck with the job hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I've just recently relocated to Galway and so far I'm loving it. I was made redundant just after Christmas and was struggling to pay my high rent in Dublin so took the offer of a cheaper room in Galway city.

I've been job hunting all week and while I realise it's only been a week of trying, I'm getting seriously worried by the lack of jobs. I knew it would be tough but thought there might be a slightly better chance here seeing as it's smaller and there are fewer people but that's flawed logic admittedly.

I've 6 years experience working as a PA/Receptionist and am willing to do any office based job. I'd also happily work in a cafe, bar or restaurant but don't know if they'd hire someone someone with no experience. I could always lie and say I have experience but..I just don't know!

Any advice on where to look etc? I've been to Fas and on every job site...thanks

Saw a job in the advertiser as a hotel receptionist if that floats your boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »
    Two months and counting....

Three months and counting.

On the verge of looking for jobs in Dublin and commuting on weekends. But the thought of getting up at 4:45am on Monday morning to get that train is putting me off. Some folks do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I wouldn't be able to do the Dublin thing. Plus my marriage would fall apart.

I've simply dumbed down my CV and began applying for minimum wage positions. Anything is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

Join the ****ing que mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

gd1987 wrote: »
    Join the ****ing que mate.

Be nice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Xiney wrote: »
    Anything is better than nothing.
    This is very true imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement