Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 1: Mitch Connor vs janets on clubs

• 05-02-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭

Pick 01 - Ruud Van Nisteelroy
    Pick 02 - Frank Lampard
    Pick 03 - Andrie Kanchelskis
    Pick 04 - Kolo Toure
    Pick 05 - Xabi Alonso
    Pick 06 - Mikel Arteta
    Pick 07 - Sylvan Distin
    Pick 08 - Obafemi Martins
    Pick 09 - Joleen Lescott
    Pick 10 - Pascal Chimbonda
    Pick 11 - Tim Howard

Team Name - Drenai FC.
    Captain - Lampard
    Free Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Corner Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Penalties - Lampard.

Tim Howard.

Voted Premiership 'Keeper of the Year in his first season with United. In his time at Everton, he has established himself as the first choice keeper in a team that has performed very well over his time with them, and I think he has been a big reason for that. Got him as my last pick, so I was delighted to have a keeper of his class available at that stage.

Pascal Chimbonda.

Another player who has been very impressive when he has played in the premiership, and another player to be voted as the best in his position - voted premiership right back of the season in his debut season with Wigan. Fast and strong, good going forward with the ball. A solid and top right back.

Joleen Lescott.

An absolute star for Everton over the last few seasons. Strong defensively, solid going forward and a very dependable goal scoring threat from set pieces. As far as left backs go, I'll admit he is not world class, but he is a damned fine choice, and a damned fine player. I don't think there will be any wingers that will have the ability to dominate him, and he will force them back up the pitch themselves.

Kolo Toure

The first of my centre backs. Strong, fast, good on the ball and not afraid to move forward with it. A solid central defender, who has been rated as among the best in the world during his career at Arsenal. With him at the back, along with his defensive partner, no one is going to be beating my team pace, and we'll go toe to toe with them for power too.

Sylvan Distin

Another big, fast, strong centre back. A massive player for Newcastle, City and Portsmouth in his time win the premiership. Recently named vice-captain at Pompey, so has definate leadership qualities which i think is important.

Xabi Alonso

Probably the most defensive of my midfielders, which isn't too great i'll admit. However, he is a top player, and on his day one of the very best central midfielders in world football. A great passer, with great vision, and quality with set pieces. Great positional play as well and not afraid to tackle either. Was delighted to get him into central midfield.

Mikel Arteta

Again, another great midfielder, a great passer and creative force and a great goal threat, from open play and set pieces. A massive reason for the recent success of Everton (along with Howard and Lescott). Can play centrally and left sided, so offers me a bit of variety in my midfield deployment, which was a reason for going for him. Has won the Everton Players Player, and Fan player of the year awards, so his quality should be undoubted.

Frank Lampard

Frank gets me goals - there can be no argument about that. 80 goals and counting for Chelsea, and there are his assists too. Leadership qualities also, so i think he is a very good pick.

Andrie Kanchelskis.

A bit of a 'heart' pick - one of my favourite ever players. Lightening quick and and a goal threat - 50 premiership goals, and Uniteds leading goal scorer in the 94/95 season. Goals, assists and frightening pace for swift and deadly counter attacks.

Obafemi Martins.

Another player bringing undoubtable power and pace to my side. A quality striking partner for my main striker; with a 1 in 3 strike rate for Newcastle. Gives me the option of putting the ball over the top for him to chase, as i don't think there is a defender who will beat him to the ball, and another player adding to my counter attacking ability with Kanchelskis.

Ruud van Nistlerooy.

My first pick, and one i was delighted with. A premeership goal scoring king - hammering in 23 premiership goals in his debut season, his first full season after injury. Followed this up with 25 prem goals the next season, 20 the following season, then 6 (in a season ruined by injury) and 21 in his final season. 95 prem goals in 5 seasons (with one ruined by injury), and another 14 FA Cup goals in 14 appearances. A player i think would thrive on the service he would get from my midfield.

Formation.

With the players I have, i think i can succesfully go 442, 433 attacking of 451 defensive. Attack being the best form of defence; my team will be one of the best on possession of ball, some great passers in midfield and a defence not afraid to actually lose the ball. In Ruud, I have a striker my team can play to and off in any of those formations. Martins can drop out wide to the left offering a pacey outlet down the left to mirror Kanchelskis on the right, giving my team possibly the best counter attack in the game, and the ability to streatch the opposition down both flanks and get in behind. Chimbonda and Lescott down each side offer more width on each side.

vs
    Had already posted this in the discussion thread but how and ever....

Team Name: Harchester City(cos United were sheeeeeeet)

Order Picked:
    Fowler
    Speed
    Torres
    Bosnich
    Staunton
    Van Persie
    Mellberg
    Danny Murphy
    Carbone
    Melchiot
    Nelsen

Line Up:

Bosnich

Melchiot ---Mellberg --- Nelsen ----Staunton

Murphy
    Speed

Carbone
    Van Persie

Torres
    Fowler

Draft Summary:
    It's fair to say that my team didn't shape up exactly as I had planned at the beginning of the draft. I believe I hindered myself in having a limit shortlist at the start of each round and as that would be whittled away I didnt take the time to look at other options available. That said I'm happy with both the shape and the players I did get and more importantly their ability to play the system that I want to employ.

A lot of people seem to be lamenting their decision to pick a goalkeeper early in the draft because of the amount of decent keepers available towards the end. I'm firmly in the opposite camp because while there were a few good goalkeepers picked towards the end I wouldnt describe any of them as great and great keepers win you points. Bosnich in his prime was a great keeper, certainly one of the best to ever grace the premiership. If it wasnt for his off field problems I believe he could have cemented his place in the United side and added to his medal haul in the process

My defence is the epitomy of solid and unspectacular which was necessary given the formation I want to play. Mellberg and Nelsen are tough, no nonsense defenders who are both good in the air and strong in the tackle. Both have decent pace too which allows them to make vital challenges against quicker forwards.

I will want my full backs to offer something going forward but not to the extent of an Evra or a Cole because I wont be asking too much defensively of RVP or Carbone. Melchiot and praticularly Staunton are good crossers of the ball and dont need to beat their man to whip in a cross from the by-line. Both have pace and while their forays forward wont be too aggressive this pace will allow them to get back into a defensive position quickly and to get a solid defensive unit organised quickly. Staunton, while I'm happy with him in my team,was definitely a poor pick for the 5th round but c'est la vie.

In the middle I wanted two players who can pick a pass but also get stuck in and win the ball that will be vital to allow my front players to be creative. Speed and Murphy are perfect for this role. Both are tenacious in the middle of the park and both can pick out a pass and get involved further up the field. Speed is also a great leader and will be my captain. He's also a handy threat from corners too but his real effect will be felt in the engine room and his overall leadership on the field.

Carbone and Van Persie are the aces up my sleeve and I will be looking to them to score goals, be creative and make chances for the front two. Both have question marks over them. Carbone because he can be erratic and Van Persie because he cant stay fit enough to really get into his stride. As I said when I picked him though he is a worthwhile gamble because he offers things that few players in the draft have. Guile, a lethal shot and a genuine left foot. I've lined them up to favour their stronger feet but as a manager I would be encouraging them to pop up anywhere across that line behind the front two, get on the ball and make things happen.

What you get from my front two is goals. Fowler in his pomp was the best natural finisher in the premiership and one of a rare breed of strikers who could score every type of goal. Left foot, right foot, head, you name it he used it to great effect in putting the ball in the net. A god on the red half of Merseyside and rightly so. Slowed in his later years but definitely a worthy first round pick.

Now my most contentious pick which seems to have split people. I was delighted that my pick happened to fall just as Torres passed his 40 PL game because I believe him to be one of the most awesome strikers I've seen. First Liverpool player to score 20 goals in a season since, ironically, Robbie Fowler, and broke the record for most goals in a debut season for a foreign player. Simply put the lad is a goalscorer and more than that he is a proper footballer. Pace to burn and an eye for a pass he complements Fowler perfectly I believe as they both have attributes the other is lacking but together they would be unbelievable. I believe they could form the kind of partnership that Torres enjoys with David Villa at International level and that hasnt been going too badly.

Now to the issue of his selection. Agreed he doesnt have a long career to judge from and as such its difficult to assess his long term affect on the league but judging from the sample we have seen so far I believe him to be an excellent third round pick for two reasons. Firstly he fits perfectly in with my team. When I picked Fowler I always had Torres in mind to partner him and secondly because I dont think he would have lasted any further and to my mind there was no striker taken after him that is as talented, skillful or had such an explosive effect on the premiership as Torres. For that reason I believe he fits the criteria needed to be considered a good pick and a great asset to my team

Which Team Would perform better over the course of a league season? 26 votes

Mitch Connor
    0%
    janets on clubs
    100%
    Bounty HunterbytePepe LeFritsHelixHeadshotmayordenisJuan PabloJazzyMr.Nice GuywhatawastershoutmaniregkNecronomiconMitch ConnorMelioneZe^Fuzzy_DunlopTrippieXavi6Eirebear 26 votes

Advertisement