Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying used car from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 05-02-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi, I am thinking of buying a used car in the very near future but not sure whether its worth my while going to Northern Ireland or just search around the South for a good deal. Is it worth all the hassle of driving from Clare to NI and searching around for a good deal and then having to pay VRT etc. or should I just search for a deal locally? I am thinking of getting an '05 or '06 Focus. Are the price differences between dealers in the South and North large enough for this age of car in the current climate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well, I recently got myself a car up north and even with the VRT added on I still made a saving of around €800 compared with the same spec car at my local dealer.

PS if you got a good phone manner and you tell them you're a Protestant they'll deliver to your door;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mowgli-mcnob

Make 'em drive the whole way to Clare?! good idea, wonder would they fall for it! That's not a bad saving, and a day out as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badinfleunce

Go to the UK the savings are much better than the North. Check out www.autoquake.co.uk According to a recent radio play they are selling 60 - 70 cars to the irish market every month. I bought a car from them and to be honest I made a huge saving even incuding the travel and vrt. It worked out that I saved more than 9500 on a 06 BMW with 17k on the clock. total cost inc. Vrt 14500 euro. Bmw in Dublin quoting 24999 with 7k marked off the price. also look at www.autotrader.co.uk etc. Definetly worth the trip to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Make sure you check local prices and that you can't get what you want locally. Most of the Irish main dealers have ridiculous prices but there can be value with the independent dealers. I spoke to a guy the other day who was proud of the 05 Peugeot 407HDi which he had bought in the North for 12,000 euros when home and cleared ... but I could have sold him a 06 one for 11,000 euros !

You should be able to buy a 05 Focus diesel locally for 9000 euro, 1.4 petrol for less (around 8000). 06 will be approx 1500-2000 more. If you can beat this by a decent amount then it makes sense, but if you are only saving say 500 euro then why bother (unless you want an adventure !). All depends on what the price differential is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aiki

Hi!
    I do not know the prices in Ireland, but I guess before you come to NI, you could just check prices in the Internet. There are some websites that offer used cars only from Northern Ireland, like www.ulstercars.co.uk
    You could do a research, make some phone calls and then decide if it's worth going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement