Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

revision books

Options
  • 05-02-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i havent started studying for my leaving or my mocks yet and i have never been able to study.i lose concentration really easily especially when just reading stuff that isnt really important.

so i was wondering what revision books are best for these subjects:
    maths (h)
    irish (h)
    history (h)
    english (h)
    german (h)

i'm quite good at geography and business so i dont think i would need revision books to help me there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

I don't do Higher Maths, History or German, and I have Revise Wise for English, Irish, Geography and Business.

It's really good for both papers of Irish, has all the poems done in detail but not too overwhelming in terms of pages of things to learn. Very concise. It's got great overviews and tips for the Listening and Oral too as well as the Ceapadoireacht. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a listening disc but perhaps your normal Irish book does anyway?

For English, Revise Wise isn't so great. It's more focused on Paper 1 rather than the things that have to be learned for Paper 2. There's another book out called New English Key Notes 2009, for Paper 2, which focuses on Macbeth for the single text and Cinema Paradiso/Philly Here I Come/My Oedipus Complex for the comparative. It's got summaries and key notes on all the poems though the poems aren't printed in it. It's pretty good, and if you're really in need you could always buy the two of them for the two papers, although I hear New English Key Notes is a bit hard to find currently.

You say you don't need them for Geography and Business and I suppose the textbooks and notes or whatever are enough, which they probably are. If the mocks don't go as well as you may have hoped though, the Revise Wise for those two along with Biology are top notch (Biologists be warned - the Biology Revise Wise is still a big book!). The Geography one also comes with a separately printed sheet of maps and aerial photos, though I think they're the same ones as there have been on the exam papers in the past few years so you probably have them already

Phew, don't I sound like I'm on a commission from Revise Wise! They're really very good. Another tip for the Francophones: Less Stress More Success for Hons French is supposed to be dire. Hope I've helped and good luck with your mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There was loads of New English Keynotes 2009 books in Easons O' Connell St. The book is really good, It's worth it for poetry and Macbeth alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

thanks edsgravy and creggy.

i have the revise wise for english put i have to say its not that good really but that keynotes one could really help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

text fr tests in maths, think its book 4 and 5

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Revision books aren't the lazy student's answer either.
    To do well, you're going to have to work.
    You say you can't study.
    Looking at all the work you have to do, it can be really daunting.
    Get the revision books if you want, but remember to use your textbooks and past papers as well.
    I hate sitting down reading the same stuff over and over, so I prefer to write essays out and do questions on pass papers. That might work for you too.
    Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement