Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Sex

Options
  • 05-02-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

if two men have been fully screened for STIs and come back negative and have unprotected anal sex can u catch any infections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I would say it's safe bearing three things in mind*; Firstly they don't always test for everything, so you need to check what was tested for. Secondly, some things can have a dormant period, I think maybe 3 to 6 months before they'll show up on tests. Thirdly, although people in long term relationships do this, you are basically putting your life in the other person's hands. If they have unprotected sex with someone behind your back then you're going to catch whatever they get too.

*I'm not an expert, don't take my word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Even if both parties have been screened and came back in the clear and screened again 6 months later and come back in the clear some sti can only be detected when they flare up like the strains of hpv which reslut in warts and some people can be asympathic carriers in terms of herpes.

STI tests don't check for HPV as it is assumed most people have it once they become sexually active.

But even if you had say to virgin guys having anal if a condom is not used and even if
    a douched was used to clean out the anus there is a small chance of a urinary tract infection, but that can be lessened again by the penetrator urinating after sex.

IT may also be possible that the person being penetrated could devleope a tear in the anal walls and develop an infection but using enough lube and being careful and enough foreplay will lessen the chances of that happening.

Nothing in life is risk free, all we can do is lessen the risk as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Before we knew about HIV, a HIV+ person may have returned a clean STI screening.

What I'm trying to say is, even if you're clean of known STIs, future STIs could enter into the human chain that for a time would be undetectable, leaving you with false sense of security about practising sex without a condom.

Same reason I shudder when I see people saying they'd get rid of condoms if HIV/Aids was cured. It's that mentality that just sets us up for the 'next' HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

LookingFor and Thaedyal are both right, but nonetheless I'd say that in a long-term monogamous relationship where both partners have tested clean, and then retested several months later to be sure, it should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Easykurt wrote: »
    if two men have been fully screened for STIs and come back negative and have unprotected anal sex can u catch any infections?

Theres been good advice but maybe ask the experts

http://www.gayhealthproject.com/helpline/index.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ChuckhighÁrLá

its up to you babe...

but i always strap a j on my mick when im ridin fellahs

betta safe than sorri:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

snippt

In your case, I would recommend applying liberal amounts of Deep Heat to the affected area.

Advertisement