Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pumped insulation?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

My bathroom,an extension at the back of the house, is bloody cold. I know for sure when it was built,about 25 years ago,that it wasn't insulated. I'm fairly sure it was built with cavities, well I hope so,because I'd like to get insulation put in. Not sure what it's called,but you get holes drilled and the insulation pumped in.
    I know some companies do it, haven't bothered checking prices because I'm seriously smashed, but was wondering if any DIYer's here have had a go. Is it possibly to buy the insulation,(I believe it's old newspaper or similar) and perhaps rent the pump. It's definatly something I need to get done this year,won't go through another winter of freezing weather,inside!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's not a DIY job, unfortunately. The products (there a several- "Certainfil", "bonded bead" "blown fibre" etc) should be Agrement approved and installed by licensed operatives who are trained. They must inspect the walls to ensure their suitability for pumping and check during the work to ensure a full fill of the cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks for that jack of all. Just did a little search and I see that the term cavity,refers to a block and brick build with a 'cavity' in between. In my case only cavity blocks were used,is it still possible to get insulation injected in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've heard of it being done, although I'd question it's effectiveness and the risk of problems with water ingress, your best bet in this case is to dryline and insulate the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks for that Jack,I feared as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

dubtom wrote: »
    Thanks for that jack of all. Just did a little search and I see that the term cavity,refers to a block and brick build with a 'cavity' in between. In my case only cavity blocks were used,is it still possible to get insulation injected in that case.
    It can be done but has negligable insulation effect! If thinking of internally insulating (dylining) then make sure to leave a 50mm ventilated gap between insulation and wall otherwise the risk of mould growth is very high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

MicktheMan wrote: »
    It can be done but has negligable insulation effect! If thinking of internally insulating (dylining) then make sure to leave a 50mm ventilated gap between insulation and wall otherwise the risk of mould growth is very high.

i don't understand. could you elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i don't understand. could you elaborate
    Elaborate on which part, negligable insulation effect or mould growth?

Advertisement