Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduce Pings

Options
  • 05-02-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to use my PS3 to play online games.

However, there is a fair amount of lag.

I notice my ping times are usually around 110-400ms. This is meant to be very bad for onling gaming.

Any advice as to what I can do to reduce the time?

Comments

What ISP and connection speed do you have? The 7.6Mb ADSL packages are notorious for bad pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Same here, by BT connection was normally 49ms to an Irish game server, but in the last week it's fallen to 400ms .....

Something sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Karsini wrote: »
    What ISP and connection speed do you have? The 7.6Mb ADSL packages are notorious for bad pings.

I'm on Eircom 3mb (it's the best I can get in my area).

Looks like I'm stuck with serious lag :( ...thought 3mb would have done me!

jamieh wrote: »
    I'm on Eircom 3mb (it's the best I can get in my area).

Looks like I'm stuck with serious lag :( ...thought 3mb would have done me!

3Mb should be ok, it may be a contention issue so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Karsini wrote: »
    3Mb should be ok, it may be a contention issue so.

I forgot to mention I'm using Homeplug to connect my access point to my router (seperate ends of the house).

I thought this might make a difference, but I tested ping from my router and I'm still getting the same times :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Phone eircom and log a tech support call. Be patient, explain the problem plainly. Follow all their troubleshooting steps exactly.

You could ask them to turn off interleaving for your connection. It might help, but those ping times are already very high.

pingplotter.com has 30 days evaluation software to allow you to graph pings and may show where the issues are. tracert from a cmd prompt will help diagonose the issue too.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

In the vast number of cases Magnet or Smart would be able to offer low ping speeds for gamers. Have you explored any of those options?

Advertisement