Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copying OS temporarily

• 05-02-2009 8:52pm

I'm just wondering would this be possible.

If I copy every single file from a partition with an OS (including hidden files etc.) onto an external OS, then format the drive, could I transfer all of the files back at the later date to restart the OS without any problems? I already have 4 partitions so I can't create a new one to install a new OS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭corkie

Use partimage or parted under Linux to clone the partition, remember to take a copy of the MBR as well to avoid problems when copying back the partition.

It's a very handy way of getting your system set-up and software installed then you always have a backup copy if it gets corrupted (i.e. virus, bad installs etc!)

Trick is to keep the OS partition as small as necessary to install your system/software on.

Regards,
    John.

TIP: google <
    : clone windows os

Thanks for the comment John.

I'm using Acronis True Image to make an image of the entire partition and saving it to an external HDD. I want to re-format the existing partition to HFS+. Would you imagine there would be any problems when I want to re-format the partition to NTFS, then copy the image back on? Would this work? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭corkie

I don't see a problem, as long as the image will be copied back to the same size partition on the Hard Drive.

But just make sure you get a good image of the partition. Make sure you have a recovery CD/DVD or clone the Recovery partition as well. Restoring later to the same location's.

If it goes wrong, don't blame me! ;)

Regards,
    J.

I'll give it a try sure!

If all goes wrong I can always re-install the OS that I would of lost (Windows 7)

Oh, a question for anybody that knows - can I still re-install Windows 7 with a valid serial number after the 10th of this month, and have it until August? Is it just that downloads will no longer be available after the 10th? Or will no serials be validated?

Thanks.

Ok things have gone horribly wrong...

The installation failed. When I start my PC it doesn't boot to any OS. It just says "no boot device available". I know that Vista is still installed on it's own intact partition, as is all of my data. But, the windows bootloader or whatever it is just doesn't seem to pick it up/work. I've tried inserting the Vista CD, but, the option for repair doesn't come up. (I know vista is still intact because I put in a Windows 2k installation CD, and, I could see the Vista partition).

Any advice on what to do? I don't want to lose Vista or my data files.

Thanks.

Edit: Fixed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement