Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Build

Options
  • 05-02-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi i've been intrested in building a computer for a while now and recently got a free Quad Core from a friend who works at intel. I wanted some advice on the best value other components i need i dont want it to be top of range or even close to that if i was going to use it at all it would be as a replacement for my mothers old one or maybe as a homemade DVR. I don't mind buying second hand as i dont want to spend much money on this its more to learn how to build one first.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What is the cpu? If it's a high end one worth a bit of money, then you could sell it and use the money to get a pre-build pc like dell, hp etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 1sttimebuild

Its a Q9450 I don't want to sell it the whole point is to learn about building a computer I did some research on putting together a top end one 6 months ago but I don't need one so using the cpu I want to build a basic enough model myself that will only be used as above the main object of the exercise is to learn how to put one together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Its a Q9450 I don't want to sell it the whole point is to learn about building a computer I did some research on putting together a top end one 6 months ago but I don't need one so using the cpu I want to build a basic enough model myself that will only be used as above the main object of the exercise is to learn how to put one together.

1) nail down exactly what you want the pc to do.

2) Specify your max budget.

A good pc for gaming does not need to cost a huge amount. (if that was putting you off building one)

Don't skimp on the case, fans or the power supply: makes a huge difference to cooling and noise levels

uberpixie wrote: »
    1) nail down exactly what you want the pc to do.

2) Specify your max budget.

A good pc for gaming does not need to cost a huge amount. (if that was putting you off building one)

Don't skimp on the case, fans or the power supply: makes a huge difference to cooling and noise levels

I would like to try and make it a PVR or at least try my brother in law in has some software that he uses to make one he has a PVR.

Max budget is €300 I have CPU and can get Vista for free also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Personally I would sell the CPU as well, using that in a PC just to learn how to build and then be passed onto someone who won't use it much for anything heavy is borderline criminal. The cost of that CPU on the 2nd hand market would nearly get you a decent CPU, board and ram....

• Advertisement

Can't sell as it is offically part of a chip loan programme and if my mate ever leaves Intel he has to give it back, I know its not likely they'll ask for it but it isn't my choice so can we move away from this issue and towards ideas of what I should buy from the info i gave above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

CASE + PSU: (€119) Antec sonata III with 500W PSU
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338137

Memory: any generic pc6400 2gig (€20)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344667

Harddrive: 500gig (samsung F1 spinpoint) (€55)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=355538

gfx card:radeon 4350 (will do sound over hdmi) (€39.50)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=387352

Running total: €233.50

After that go pick a motherboard.
    (circa €70 to bring you up to the €300 mark)

In all honesty the two most important parts of building a PC are:

1:Research, Research,Research.........learning how to research parts and build up your knowledge of PC tech.

2:Getting it to work after its built and troubleshooting it.

The actual assembly is the easy part......

If you honestly want to learn about PCs: research the parts I picked and find out why I picked em. Look at other parts at a similar price and try see if there is a difference.

Seriously:I spent ages (1yr+) reading up on parts, how-to guides and benchmarks and keeping up with current tech before I build my first PC. I learned a lot by just researching without even touching a part.

Always do your own research, it always pays off.

Advertisement