Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen doors peeling

Options
  • 05-02-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

i recently bought a second hand house { 5 years old } and the plastic coating on kitchen doors has started lifting off , who should i approach about this problem { seller or kitchen supplier }and should i be getting new doors as replacements for free or would any guarantee period be up by now ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

foureyes wrote: »
    i recently bought a second hand house { 5 years old } and the plastic coating on kitchen doors has started lifting off , who should i approach about this problem { seller or kitchen supplier }and should i be getting new doors as replacements for free or would any guarantee period be up by now ?

LOL at the idea.

Kitchen company probably bankrupt
    Builder probably bankrupt
    Your engineer never caught the problem when he did a survey .
    This shoddiness is probably replicated in other parts of the house, eg the windows .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Your engineer never caught the problem when he did a survey .

AFAIK it would not be in engineers remit to check kitchen fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Believe it or not but you signed a contract when buying the house saying you were happy with everything faults and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

foureyes wrote: »

Doors are cheap nowadays but shop around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Place a teatowel over the part that is peeling and using an iron that is half of it's max temp with steem turned off. Hold the over the the part that is peeling and press down as if ironing the tea towel. It should iron the peeling part back down again. The iron heats the glue that would stick the plastic to the door. Did it on a wardrobe myself last year and still perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 eugened

pvc doors wont last long if there is a lot of heat in the kitchen,no kitchen manufacturing croud will stand over pvc kitchen doors for 5 years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

matchthis wrote: »
    Place a teatowel over the part that is peeling and using an iron that is half of it's max temp with steem turned off. Hold the over the the part that is peeling and press down as if ironing the tea towel. It should iron the peeling part back down again. The iron heats the glue that would stick the plastic to the door. Did it on a wardrobe myself last year and still perfect.

Believe it or not this was exactly how i applied these to doors in the 1st place when i worked as a carpenter long long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mick Bloggs

Moral of the story:- pvc frontals are are rubbish, always ask what’s behind the shiny new appearance before committing. At the end of the day you get what you pay for, the real rip off is the price some suppliers charge for this rubbish!

Always ask for a written guarantee specifically relating to lifespan of the product, if you can’t get this out of the supplier (& you will not from 99%) forget about it. There some suppliers out there with reputable product.

In this case there is most lightly no guarantee specific to the product in question but you would have a good case under the "sale of goods act" in that a product must be fit for purpose for a reasonable period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

If it one of the doors, remove door and bring to likes on panelling centre ,buy a new one and repalce it if the ironing solution wont work.

One thing that would quicken the peeling process would be steam from a kettle, so position kettle where it will do least damage

Advertisement