Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 X Nvidia 8800gtx Cards (SLI)

Options
  • 05-02-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,
    have just gotten these - 2 X Nvidia 8800gtx Cards. I've 2 questions to ask.

Can anyone recommend a decent mobo for these cards (SLI) with what've I got (Core 2 Duo 2.13 & 2 gb Ram).

Could be looking here also at the possibility of including new CPU & RAM as I don't want this upgrade to cost a fortune.
    Any solutions to both would be appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    RF :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Man you got some bargain, 170 for both wasn't it?

I had a 650i board for a good while, they can be had for nothing on ebay and no difference in sli performance between them and the newer boards, even though they are only 8x/8x.

Your cpu is fine, overclock it to 3ghz or near it and you are set.I would get another 2 gigs of ram though.

750i board here on komplett for €50, I haven't used these boards but have used 680i and 780i, both were very good and going by reviews 750i is just as good.I buy komplett used and dabs used mobos all the time, they usually dont come with manuals and stuff, but you dont need those.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356107

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320721

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

Thanks Squall20.
    I have ordered that mobo you said was good, 750i. I was wonder if this PSU
    would suffice:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337116

I also got 4gb of Ram (Cosair) to got with the mobo.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I'd go with a better (read more expensive) PSU for two GTXs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Same here.
    Try and get a better PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

TBH from my experience with power supplys more expensive well brandes psu's are always best, but if money is tight just make sure the cheaper psu has all the industry standards certs and it should be fine

I got the Cosair TX 650W PSU but it only comes with 2 x PCI-E 8 pin. Question: If each card requires 2 PCI-E connections, should I of bought the Cosair TX 750W with comes with 4 x PCI-E 8 pins or should I buy Molex to PCI-E convertors.
    Thanks to all who have posted replies so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should be able to get a molex to pcie 8 pin cable. It will use two molex connections so you'll need four free molex connections in total.

The Gtx's need 2 x 6.I have the 620watt Corsair psu and have used 2 x 9800gx2, so you will have no problems.They are the best psu's around imo

The Gtx's came boxed with two molex-pci-e adaptors when they came out, I got a few of them in Maplin for a few euro a while back.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    The Gtx's need 2 x 6.I have the 620watt Corsair psu and have used 2 x 9800gx2, so you will have no problems.They are the best psu's around imo

The Gtx's came boxed with two molex-pci-e adaptors when they came out, I got a few of them in Maplin for a few euro a while back.
    I got the Cards today but they didn't come with molex to Pci-e adaptors.
    I think I'll go with the TX750W because I will be using 4 molex connectors which would leave me with 4 and the extra power for € 26 is worth it.
    any thoughts??

• Advertisement

Red Fan X5 wrote: »
    I got the Cards today but they didn't come with molex to Pci-e adaptors.
    I think I'll go with the TX750W because I will be using 4 molex connectors which would leave me with 4 and the extra power for € 26 is worth it.
    any thoughts??

Oh yeah go for that one, I thought you already had the 650w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got that Corsair TX750, nice quiet psu, I highly recommend (got rid of a noisy OCZ 600W GameXtream in favour of it), not being modular is its only drawback, but you'll live with that

I haven't got the goods yet but I had a look inside at the case of my current machine. Guess what, the new board won't fit, :( . Can someone recommend a nice & reasonable priced case for my new set up to include front USB's and with/without memory card reader. NB. I don't want a monster case either, :o

New Set Up =
    MSI P7N Zilent,nF-750i SLI,S-775,ATX,
    TX750 W Cosair PSU,
    4 Gb RAM, DDR2, PC6400,
    2 x nVidia 8800GTX (SLi).
    Will have 2 SATA Drives,
    1 x DVD Burner,
    1 x DVD-Rom,
    Possible memory card reader to the front.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have an antec 900 and it's a pretty sweet case. It's not massive either but it'll fit everything you need alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I was considering one of those before I decided to get the 900. Nice case. I preferred the look of the antec so that swung it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

The Tsunami is an OK case.

The best part of it is that its very light which is nice if you are going to a lot of lans, the cooling for it is not bad either.

Otherwise: not great sound proofing, the drive trays for holding the harddrives are made from very cheap metal that warps very easily: had caused my mate a lot of sound issues with vibration from harddrives.

Personally noise bugs me the most when it comes to custom PCs.

I personally would go with an antec p182. (I have an antec p180 which is a farily similar older revision which is a great case.)
    Not a flash case, tis a wee bit heavy, but it has fantastic airflow, thick cladding on the case panels which reduce noise from the pc a lot and good cable management.
    Not cheap @ €130 but worth it. (it is a fairly tight case on the inside though so you need to take your time to run cables properly when building)

The Antec 900 would be similar and from the same family but has much less sound proofing and less cable management. It still has epic air cooling: much better than the thermaltake.

I would get at least an Antec 900 which is priced around €90 which if you are on a tight budget is a very very good case especially if you are going SLI: you will need all the airflow you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

oh jesus no.. the tsunami is horrible. Its small, cramped and has **** cabeling optins. Antec 900 is a mch better choice. Also the cooling is horrible if you are going with a high end system. And this is comming from someon who owned this and the coolermaster equivilent of the case. void it like the plague. Oh yeah its also really badly put together, lots of jagged edges and panels that dont properly fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have both tsunami + the antec 900. Antec 900 wins hands down.
    Also have the antec 1200 and that i like more then the 900. 1200 is big and would not be great for lans very heavy when you have all your kit inside.

Advertisement