Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collectors Editions - Worth it?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Im at present debating on whether to get the SFIV collector's edition or not. Its a bit pricey (78 euro on play.com) whereas the normal version is 36 euro. Not sure which to get but the CE is looking promising ATM.

So what is your opinion on Collector's editions? Are they worth the extra euros or are they just an easy way for companies to squeeze extra cash from us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well if its 36 euro...and your willing to pay 78. Thats 42 euro extra ?

What do you get ?...who is gonna be impressed by a figure, or a flask, or a tin or some extra clothes your man can wear.

Both have the game at the end of the day, only one has an extra 40 quid for another game in his pocket.

Sense :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought the OP was talking to himself for a second there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I was more or less talking to myself. As such I have come to a conclusion - Im getting the CE. Sense is much overrated. Plus this way I get a film, 2 figures and a book. Might as well spend my money while I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

They're only worth the extra Euro if you want the extra content enough.

I'm a big fan of SF but the collectors edition doesn't impress me much. The figure looks pretty crap as does the film (which will probably appear on torrent soon enough) and the strategy guide, if you can call it that, is only for the four new characters. Oh and downloadable costumes, :rolleyes: I couldn't care less about that tbh. It's SF not Dead or Alive.

I've bought collectors editions games in the past but probably wont be bothering with the one for SF4. For me it totally depends on whats included in the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

fitz0 wrote: »
    Sense is much overrated.

+1 to that. I'll get the odd collectors edition if they have good stuff in them and I have the cash to spare. It does depend on what's included though. I'm not too pushed on the likes of "making of" DVD's or art booklets. I love getting figures though but only if they're well done like the Big Daddy in the Bioshock CE. I got the Warhammer CE and the figure it had in that was a standard Warhammer Fantasy figure that was unpainted and still in it's packet. I thought that that was a bit cheap especially since everything else in the pack was of such high quality.

I know it's stupid to pay so much for a game just to get a few feelies, and what makes it feel worse is the fact that you used to get them free with a lot of games back in the day. But I'm a simple man of simple pleasures, so I simply love these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I wont be getting it anyway, already spent too much on this game, and will hopefully be buying the pads if I can find somewhere selling 'em:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I bought the World in Conflict Collectors Edition when it came out. Got the game, an documentary about some war stuff, a decent headset which i still use, and a piece of the Berlin freakin Wall. So, ya, that was definitly worth it. It depends on what you get with it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the way i look at it is this:

standard edition game when it hits the shops here 60-70 (Ps3/360)

collectors edition game when bought from www.gameplay.co.uk 59.99 stg which is just under 70 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If the extras are a bit weak, then I'd still consider spending a few quid more on the game if the case was nice (Bioshock being the perfect example - love that aged metal look)
    €78 for SFIV is taking the bloody piss though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Bah, damn humans and your emotional attachment to junk. You need to stop Livin' la Vida Loca and get out of this Celtic Tiger mindset. :D
    this way I get a film, 2 figures and a book.
    Thought it was one figure for each; one for PS3 edition (Ryu) and one for the 360 (C. Viper). Also thought it was going to be less 'a book' than 'a leaflet'.
    humanji wrote: »
    I love getting figures though but only if they're well done like the Big Daddy in the Bioshock CE.

Thought that big daddy figure ended up kinda looking like (cheap) junk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Compared to the usual shìte you get in these things, it was pretty good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I have a limit when buying limited or collectors editions, needs to be €10 or under more to buy it and have something of value that will add to the game.

Making of and Documentaries seem to be what you get most of the time though, but it's nice to see more and more games giving you more for the game such as unlockables or downloadable content with your collectors edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kiith wrote: »
    I bought the World in Conflict Collectors Edition when it came out. Got the game, an documentary about some war stuff, a decent headset which i still use, and a piece of the Berlin freakin Wall. So, ya, that was definitly worth it. It depends on what you get with it really.

Funny, because you haven't had that game in over a year. I have... must give it back to ya before it gets "lost" :P

I bought the warhammer online CE, all I really use is the bloody mousemat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't see the attraction of collectors editions. The additions are usually fairly crap and are really just tacked on to cash in on the hype around the game.

Maybe its because I'm not a collector of anything really that I can't see the appeal. I always reason that if it isn't functional or isn't something I would grab if my house was on fire then I shouldn't be wasting money buying it.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I always reason that if it isn't functional or isn't something I would grab if my house was on fire then I shouldn't be wasting money buying it.

Yeah, but all you have in your house is a computer and a fire extinguisher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jesus 78 euro is a lot of money to pay for a specal edition.The only special edition game I ever got was world in conflict,you a stone (which was supposedly from the berlin wall)headphone that you could talk into and a "the making of world in conflict cd"and it cost 50 from what I remember,if you did'nt want the special edition it was 45 euro.what do you get with it? also what are you talking about :o? SF VI?

Fnz wrote: »
    Yeah, but all you have in your house is a computer and a fire extinguisher.

lol ... although that would be my perfect house. Like that Fosters ad, just a laziboy, full HTPC setup and a mini-fridge... perfection :D living beside a pizza place would be nice also ;)

Getting back to collectors editions, I'm sure the one for X-Blades that's coming out in a week or so will sell in the bucket loads... I wonder why :rolleyes: I mean that's a collectors edition if ever I've seen one :D Pity the game is only average

X-Blades Collectors Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I must confess that I'm hooked on CEs. If it's a game I'm interested in, I get the CE! Most of the time, they're only alright, but the SFIV one is pretty class. The movie really makes in worthwhile, the figure isn't great.

Thought it was one figure for each; one for PS3 edition (Ryu) and one for the 360 (C. Viper). Also thought it was going to be less 'a book' than 'a leaflet'.

I was under the impression (Going from the picture here) that it was both figures. If it turns out to be only one Im complaining to play.com. I only really want the Ryu one, don't really care about the new character.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression (Going from the picture here) that it was both figures. If it turns out to be only one Im complaining to play.com. I only really want the Ryu one, don't really care about the new character.

If you're getting the Xbox version... and it's the same as the US releases... start commencing preparations to begin bracing yourself for disappointment, I'm sorry to say. :(

If you're getting the Xbox version... and it's the same as the US releases... start commencing preparations to begin bracing yourself for disappointment, I'm sorry to say. :(
    Ah balls! Why do the PS3 crowd get the good figure? MS usually pay for any advantage they can get over Sony. The real villain here, therefore, is Microsoft!

Also thats a VERY misleading picture then since it clearly shows both figures beside the 360 version and what looks like the two figures in the same box, although on closer inspection Ryu might be printed on the box.

EDIT: Why isn't it Ken and Ryu figures I wonder. Crimson Viper makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

humanji wrote: »
    +1 to that. I'll get the odd collectors edition if they have good stuff in them and I have the cash to spare. It does depend on what's included though. I'm not too pushed on the likes of "making of" DVD's or art booklets. I love getting figures though but only if they're well done like the Big Daddy in the Bioshock CE. I got the Warhammer CE and the figure it had in that was a standard Warhammer Fantasy figure that was unpainted and still in it's packet. I thought that that was a bit cheap especially since everything else in the pack was of such high quality.

I know it's stupid to pay so much for a game just to get a few feelies, and what makes it feel worse is the fact that you used to get them free with a lot of games back in the day. But I'm a simple man of simple pleasures, so I simply love these things.

have to agree on War collectors edition, everything was just amazing, really high quality, but that figurine was crap :(. i do love to buy collectors editions, but not like Gow2, where you just get a steel box and few minor ****s.

So far i got:

WoW Wotlk collectors edition
    War Collectors edition
    Assasins creed ( for ps3)

Assasins creed had kind of big figurine, which is pure awesome!

dscf0098ma3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

collectors editions are completely pointless imo. just ways for the games companies to extract a bit more cash from the buyer. If theres somthing that looks really decent and its no more than a fiver more than the standard edtion i'd consider it but thats it.

on sendit.com you can get the SF4 regular edition for €32 or the collectors for €66. more than double the price for a collectors edition!! complete madness imo and you'd have to be crazy to dish out the extra money.

After finding out that I would only get 1 figure I just can't in good conscience pay that much. For two figures it would have definately been worth it but for one... and not even the Ryu one I don't think so. Plus Im making a saving of €42.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well it depends, some collector editions cost a 10eu extra, but give you really some nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

sometimes the collectors editons are only around a 5iver dearer (perhaps when a shop over stocked on them and couldnt get rid of them) then they are worth it :) but otherwise are a complete waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The only special edition I've ever bought was for Metal Gear Solid on the original playstation, it was I think a tenner more than the standard and you got the soundtrack on CD, a poster, a t-shirt and dog tags. There might have been more but I can't remember. I like the idea of these editions (for games I'm really into) but invariably they're disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    sometimes the collectors editons are only around a 5iver dearer (perhaps when a shop over stocked on them and couldnt get rid of them) then they are worth it :) but otherwise are a complete waste of money

Agrred, for the sake of an extra tenner, a fair few are worth it.
    Wish they'd split the cases properly though so the feckers will fit in a DVD rack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement