Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Brian Cowen Step Down

Options
  • 05-02-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Does anyone share my view that its time for Brian Cowen to step aside, in the interests of the country? He appears unable to deal with the enormity of the problems he has to deal with, or offer any real leadership that might get us moving forward.

(This is NOT an anti-FF position, there's little evidence of constructive input from the opposition, either.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Cowen's biggest mistake was appointing inneffective idiots to his front bench. For that alone he should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I believe he should step down, and the sooner the better. He doesn't have the level of diplomacy, personality or the ability to communicate to the wider audience as a taoiseach should. I think he is sinking deeper and deeper and it's showing he is struggling every time he sets foot in the Dail. He was wrongly appointed in my opinion. I think Bertie did it to make him look good, knowing what lied ahead, (joking).

Since Mary Coughlan took the position as tanaiste she has over impressed and has handled every negative situation put to her with utmost brilliance.

She is a fantastic ambassador and speaker and has definitley shown she is qualified enough to be a taoiseach over the past few months. I believe she possesses all the characteristics of a good leader and without a doubt she would do a better job than incapable bully Brian Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

No. Two reasons:
    1. Cowen and FF partly made this mess, and it is their responsibility to account for it. FG shouldn't lose support just because they have to make tough measures to clean up another party's mess. FF will hopefully get demolished next general election (although knowing Ireland, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't).
    2. It will portray a bad picture of Ireland. Foriegn investors will not think we are a "safe haven" and will not be as keen to invest. Our reputation will suffer in other words.

Edit: LadyTBolt must be taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Make no mistake, the long-knifes of FF are there for Cowen, but they are currently sheathed.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Since Mary Coughlan took the position as tanaiste she has over impressed and has handled every negative situation put to her with utmost brilliance.

She is a fantastic ambassador and speaker and has definitley shown she is qualified enough to be a taoiseach over the past few months. I believe she possesses all the characteristics of a good leader and without a doubt she would do a better job than incapable bully Brian Cowen.

Thank you for the best laugh i've had in ages.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 funky.monkey

Yeah. I think he should resign, and there should be a quick general election. each of the parties can put down their plans on how to deal with the situation, and voters can make a democratic choice on who they think has the best answers. I think Brian Cowen needs to explain to the people why he didn't see any of this coming, and make a few preparations during the boom-times. It would have been a prudent and responsible thing to do to put something aside in case of a recession, and instead they are just running around like headless chickens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

turgon wrote: »

Edit: LadyTBolt must be taking the mick.

Sisters are doing it for themselves?

If she's not taking the mick I think it's fair to say we know what's wrong with the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Yes 100% he should step down. He may not be that long in office but he was long enough in Finance to have done the damage.
    On the other hand when he does resign I really cant see anyone in the mainstream opposition parties doing that much better. We would be only slightly better off. The damage has already been done. It would be like rearranging the deck chairs of the titanic. The hole is too big to close now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

No. Two reasons:
    1. Cowen and FF partly made this mess, and it is their responsibility to account for it. FG shouldn't lose support just because they have to make tough measures to clean up another party's mess. FF will hopefully get demolished next general election (although knowing Ireland, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't).
    2. It will portray a bad picture of Ireland. Foriegn investors will not think we are a "safe haven" and will not be as keen to invest. Our reputation will suffer in other words.

I think we're well beyond party loyalty, or sectional interests, here. The question is where the necessary leadership to take hard decisions, truly in the national interest, and make them stick. Those decisions have to been seen to be fair, equitable - and proportional to the scale of the problem. Selling that message takes strength of character, and real leadership. I would happily support any deputy/non-deputy who could provide that leadership.

If I was a "foreign investor" I would run a mile after looking at only one or two of Brian Cowen's performances. They're bullying, blustering and generally depressing.

Hillel wrote: »
    If I was a "foreign investor" I would run a mile after looking at only one or two of Brian Cowen's performances. They're bullying, blustering and generally depressing.

Thats a fair point, but Im sure theyre not going to care about how good the prime minister is, just what environment he has the country in. A foreign investor is not likely to care that the old age pension is cut for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

No. Two reasons:
    1. Cowen and FF partly made this mess, and it is their responsibility to account for it.

What rubbish!!!
    Yes he should step down, yes, yes, yes.
    1. He should step down before he makes things worse (if that is now even possible) and continues to deny accountability. HE should step down, not the party. He cannot cope as a leader. What calm, in-control, responsible taoiseach says things like "Shut-up or I'll have you thrown out of here" and "I'm the taoiseach, I'll run this country as I see fit"? How dillussional is he? He is so out of control and he doesn't know how to deal with our current economic climate. Do you not see that? He was a crap Finance Min. and he's an even worse Taoiseach. He has to go. And watch this space, as he will!

2. If I was a foreign investor and I saw a leader of a country knee deep in economic decline knowing what the banks have been up to and not held the causes of our economic downturn accountable, I'd think to myself, is this man blind or just careless. I would not and could not invest in an irresponsibly lead country.

He needs to be replaced but I would leave the party in government.

He needs to be replaced but I would leave the party in government.

Are you saying that this whole crisis of government is just Brian Cowens fault??

If so, your seriously wrong :)

Maybe LadyTBolt is Mary Coughlan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Yes, but not just Cowen, and just not yet. FF should admit their incompetence and look for help. Irish politics today is limited to "yes you did", "no I didn't", "I told you so" crappy debates.

These guys (and I mean the entire political class) should stop these pre-school type arguments and show they are capable of effectively addressing this very serious situation. Anything done from here on should be CONSTRUCTIVE and for the sake of the future of this nation bullies and non-constructive moaners should be ignored by all.

F@#k FF, f#@k FG, and the greens and SF. This is not about parties. It is about our survival and our future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HercHauk

Yes. And Take that douchebag Coughlan with him.

Zynks wrote: »
    F@#k FF, f#@k FG, and the greens and SF.

I agree, insomuch as Labour should be in power, and Eamon Gilmore Taoiseach. ;)

I agree, insomuch as Labour should be in power, and Eamon Gilmore Taoiseach. ;)

Eamon Gilmore is one of the few deputies providing any substantial opposition in the Dail. But, Eamon Gilmore as Taoiseach????
    a

In fairness he compares well to Mr. Kenny and Mr. Cowen. Between the three I know which one I would choose.

...but then, we don't really choose the Taoiseach, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bunderoon

please can we all just say it like it is. WE DO NOT LIVE IN A FREE STATE!!!

95% of the Ireland's politicians do not serve the people of this country. They serve big business and then themselves. Massive expenses, Huge salaries,we all know it and yet we tow the same old line about asking hese people to stand down so another of the same can take his / her place.

Ask yourself, who benefits?

We have gotten used to taking the crap and hoping for something good to appear. Nothing is going to change because the system isnt broken, not for them. It has always been a system for the rich to get richer and the poor to stay poor.

Please can anyone stand up and be the spark to ignite some sort of protest, revolution, up roar???

And thats where the echo starts.......

• Advertisement

Zynks wrote: »
    In fairness he compares well to Mr. Kenny and Mr. Cowen. Between the three I know which one I would choose.

I jest, of course.:D

Enda Kenny is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Just heard on the radio what he said to the Dublin Chamber of commerce. We have to drop of standard of living 10-12%. He is starting to sound like Haughty when he said we needed to cut back in spending all the while he was buying silk shirts, Islands and not paying tax! Let him and his ministers lead by example and take a major cut in pay. Are they even under this new levy they introduced!

And this stupid transport scheme, action transport! They just downsized the bloody Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann and they then expect people to use it!! And then a congestion charge in a year or so! F**k off Cowan, we dont have an alternative!!

I am so angry with what is happening at home right now, Cowan should be axed along with all his Muppet ministers. Makes me loose any doubts I had about moving out of Ireland last year! I wont be back while FF and Cowan are in power that's for certain!

Give FG and Labour a go!

murfie wrote: »
    I am so angry with what is happening at home right now, Cowan should be axed along with all his Muppet ministers. Makes me loose any doubts I had about moving out of Ireland last year! I wont be back while FF and Cowan are in power that's for certain!

Give FG and Labour a go!

Some of us have no choice but to stick around.

George Hook to replace Brian, anyone ? :D

OK, then, Joan Burton? (At least she understands finance.)

Cantankerous Coughlan?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

OMG defies belief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Originally Posted by LadyTBolt View Post

Is that you Mary?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I believe he should step down, and the sooner the better. He doesn't have the level of diplomacy, personality or the ability to communicate to the wider audience as a taoiseach should. I think he is sinking deeper and deeper and it's showing he is struggling every time he sets foot in the Dail. He was wrongly appointed in my opinion. I think Bertie did it to make him look good, knowing what lied ahead, (joking).

If she utters that f***ing word FINALITY one more time I will, I swear I will...
    mucking fuppet :rolleyes:
    Some of us have no choice but to stick around.

George Hook to replace Brian, anyone ? :D

OK, then, Joan Burton? (At least she understands finance.)

Cantankerous Coughlan?

Does Richard Bruton not understand finance ?
    Yeah the Labour party understand finance so much that it appears at times they are backing unions in not doing anything about public sector pay :rolleyes:

Part of me hopes Clowen has to stay along with his building party who helped create this massive mess.
    Please nobody come on trotting out the FF shi** that is all a global problem.

The other side of me believes he and his cronies are only making things worse and the whole lot of them should get out and never come back.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭localhothead

Hi Mary !!!

shouldnt you be working on the problems youve caused instead of arsing around here ?

cowen would be an embarrsement in any business- but as head of state - hes nothing short of a pig .
    he needs to go , but i would like to see the other assw1pes stay in and work for their huge money

either that or hang all those fcukers from the lampposts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

FF certainly failed in dealing with the warnings of a property bust for which they should be held accountable - would the other political parties have done more to soften the landing though?

Also this crisis has been made alot lot worse because of international conditions - like it or not it was sheer bad luck that we are entering a global downturn which is definitely worsening the crisis - Ireland cannot recover until the world recovers.

I dont think Brian Cowen should go - the last thing this country needs is a general election, we need solidarity and an effort to work together. I agree with popular opinion that none of the other parties will offer anything new it will be a waste of time and money especially at a time when all everybody should be working together to plug the hole in public finances and concentrating on improving competiveness.

jmayo wrote: »
    Does Richard Bruton not understand finance ?
    Yeah the Labour party understand finance so much that it appears at times they are backing unions in not doing anything about public sector pay :rolleyes:

Yes, Richard Bruton does understand finance. If FG had any sense they'd be kicking out Enda and making RB party leader. He would be my first choice as Taoiseach. But, I was only half joking about Joan Burton. I never had much time for her until the current crisis. However, she is one of a handful of politicians who can make an informed and relevant contribution.

jmayo wrote: »
    Part of me hopes Clowen has to stay along with his building party who helped create this massive mess.
    Please nobody come on trotting out the FF shi** that is all a global problem.

The other side of me believes he and his cronies are only making things worse and the whole lot of them should get out and never come back.

+1 on both counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But, I was only half joking about Joan Burton. I never had much time for her until the current crisis. However, she is one of a handful of politicians who can make an informed and relevant contribution.

Quite the opposite for me, she's gone from being someone who mildly annoyed me to someone who actually annoys me which is impressive for a politician. Bruton comes across well but I worry how much of that sheen will fade once the realities of being in office take hold. Though if I had to pick between the two for Minister of Finance Bruton would win it easily.

Gilmore on the other hand is growing in the crisis and coming across very well I think, even though I'm very far from a Labour voter. Kenny still fails to instil any confidence in me of his ability to handle a Government. I think Labour have gotten the better deal with a leader to suit the times at the moment.

Should Cowen step down? I think it's too early yet and we'll have to see how he handles the next backlash (by the public servants) before pulling the plug on him. That said after his bungling of the last Budget I think his days are numbered unless he suddenly improves his game which doesn't look like happening at the moment.

Advertisement