Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in Rented house, can I break lease?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Had a burst pipe in the house and the water has spread to a few rooms. The landlord is trying to sort it out but this involves having builders around during the day. Problem is there are two young children in the house and the chaos while this is being sorted out will be very disruptive with children plus moving possessions.
    Where do we stand?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

ring threshold they will tell you your rights , they are a body that looks after tennants issues , do he provide a rent book ? and is he registered with the PRTB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

OK Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Hi,
    I wonder what answer you're looking for? Pipes do burst. Some landlords will do their utmost to get them fixed as its in everyones interest, whereas some will be very lazy about it. You seem to have the good one. If you owned the house the pipe would still have burst and your children would unfortunately have to put up with the disruption. If you are looking for compenstion remember this.
    With regards to Threshold on the two occasions that I have dealt with them (once as a tenant and once as landlord) I found them to be worse than useless (ie they made the situation worse)
    I find in these situations its best to look at the overall picture and not be listening to what friends/family/neighbours have to say. If you are happy with your property and landlord and he does seem to be doing his best then :)

Advertisement