Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Metal

• 05-02-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I haven't really seen this sub-genre of metal discussed a whole lot on here so I thought I'd start a topic on it and get a few opinions on it. Sorry if there was a topic dedicated to it earlier.

I've been a total powerfag ever since around 2004-2005 I'd say. Sonata Arctica were the first ones to ever attract me to it (And heavy metal in general), and now they're my favourite band! Ever since then I've moved onto alot of different stuff within metal and other music in general, but power metal will always have a special place in my heart. *Tear* Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Twilightning, Firewind, Blind Guardian, Dragonland, Freedom Call, Helloween, Avantasia.. Christ, the list does go on!*

*Please don't include DragonForce

The soaring vocal lines, the outrageous album art, the insane guitar and keyboard solos, the cheesy song titles and band names, what's not to love about it?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

I love Power Metal OP.

I am especially drawn to bands like Manowar, Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Sonata Artica and Dragonforce. Both Sam and Herman are amazing guitarists whose solos are out of this world. Voice wise I think that Joachim Cans (Hammerfall) has a very emotional sound and it resonates through their songs, very uplifting I have to say. Sonata Artica's music deals with a lot of emotions and struggles which really compliments their style. Manowar and Iced Earth are definitely two of my favourites lyric wise as I love the whole epic fantasy about immortal warriors and songs written in their honour. I do prefer the European take on Power though as it does incorporate the keyboard into recordings and live performances, it is an an awesome instrument and suits power right down to the ground, Stratovarius definitely made great use of it. Kamelot are not the typical US Power Metal act and definitely sound more like their European cousins. Power Metal is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I like a bit of power metal every now and then.

Hearts on fire! Hearts on fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

"We are Warriors! born fro.."

Where was I?, Oh yes, power metal, I absolutely love the stuff.

Every so often I go through phases where I'll gorge non-stop on stuff like Virgin Steel, Freedom Call, Kamelot, Helloween etc and then I can go months on end without listening to any of it. I think you really need to be in the right mood for it or something.

On the other hand, I can listen to the American stuff all the time, Crimson Glory, Iced Earth, Manowar etc

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The most epic of genres :)

Listening to it non stop for the last 3 years, Blind Guardian are my favourite band hands down

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Accept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The most epic of genres :)

Listening to it non stop for the last 3 years, Blind Guardian are my favourite band hands down

You're a good man, Kev.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Accept?

Probably more traditional metal more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Never got Power Metal myself, it was just too um, pretentious for want of another term. I know it's supposed to be, and that we're not supposed to take music completely serious, which I don't. I love my humour in my music, like Extra Hot Sauce, or Stormtroopers Of Death.

But wailings of Warriors, Castles and Dragons etc... not for me at all I'm afraid. I tried it, but just couldn't figure out the point of it and gave up.

More power to those who can appreciate it though. :)

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Never got Power Metal myself, it was just too um, pretentious for want of another term. I know it's supposed to be, and that we're not supposed to take music completely serious, which I don't. I love my humour in my music, like Extra Hot Sauce, or Stormtroopers Of Death.

But wailings of Warriors, Castles and Dragons etc... not for me at all I'm afraid. I tried it, but just couldn't figure out the point of it and gave up.

More power to those who can appreciate it though. :)

It's true that alot of power metal bands have themes centred around fantasy but at the same time there's alot who don't. Bands like Sonata Arctica or Twilightning have lyrical themes revolving around relationships, life, and society as a whole.

Then again, do alot of people turn off a good song because they don't like the lyrics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

It can be very uplifting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If I'm in the mood for it, I love it.
    ShawnRaven wrote: »

Hmm, while there is that element to it in places, there's plenty of Power Metal without the fantasy trimmings.

Have a listen to some of this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

If I'm in the mood for it, I love it.

Hmm, while there is that element to it in places, there's plenty of Power Metal without the fantasy trimmings.

Awesome stuff, i love being proved wrong. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

A vote for Dream Evil. Cheesy but catchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I wouldn't be a big fan of the stratovarius type bands, with the over the top keyboards and wailing solo's. Absolutely love Sabaton though, simple guitars, hilarious lyrics, and just so damn fun. Also been listening to a rather unhalthy amount of Evergrey, The Inner Circle and Torn are such brilliant albums i'd be listening to each of them at least once a day currently. Also love Teresbetoni, utterly rediculous, but so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm quite partial to a spot of Power Metal now and then. Some of the bands I like in this genre are Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica (all of which have already been mentioned :) ).

Some good news for all you power metal fanatics out there! :D

stratovarius_poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I love this genre myself.. Used to love most bands, but have gone away from the likes of Stratovarius, Hammerfall etc. over the last few years.

Big fan of Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Manowar, Iced Earth & more though though and can't wait for Blind Guardian at Graspop this year, really love them live. Also looking forward to Kamelot here in March and Firewind & Stratovarius in May. Haven't listened to the latter in years, but I'm sure they'll be enjoyable live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love me some power metal - a quick look at my last.fm profile will tell anyone that!

Favourite power metal band is Sonata Arctica, they got me into the genre, and they're still my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

It's been a good four years since I stopped being crazy about power metal, first time listening to Rhapsody in two years, gonna rip out their old albums and stick em on my phone. Boo ya!

Epicness of the highest order

Ohhhh panpipes!!

Savage live band, savage band, come back Stefan :(

And the... best... song... everZ!!!

That's the spirit, Funk! ;D Also, for the Stratovarius/Firewind gig, I added the page on Last.fm last night. Make sure you let us all know you're attending!

• Advertisement

That's the spirit, Funk! ;D Also, for the Stratovarius/Firewind gig, I added the page on Last.fm last night. Make sure you let us all know you're attending!

Very likely I'll be at it.

Added it to my lastfm there

Very likely I'll be at it.

Added it to my lastfm there

I had a sly look at your profile. I didn't think anyone in this country knew Communic existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'm definitely going man, the Strats live. Feck that it's gonna be unrea-allll!

Thanks for letting me know about it :D

I had a sly look at your profile. I didn't think anyone in this country knew Communic existed.

Hehe, yeah they're quite good.I haven't listened to them in ages though, must rectify that soon :pac:

//checks twilightnings profile

Hehe, yeah they're quite good.I haven't listened to them in ages though, must rectify that soon :pac:

//checks twilightnings profile

Good man yourself! Give Payment of Existence a listen, they released it last year. It's great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Isn't there a dragon on the cover of that album ;)

Love me a bit of power metal, I do. I love it all, from the hypermelodic (Sonata Arctica) to the Tolkienian fantasy stuff (Blind Guardian) and even the epic opera cheese (Rhapsody).

OP, and indeed anyone else who loves their melodic and speedy power metal (even Dragonforce fans too :P), you should check out Hibria. Fantastic musicians and great songwriters to boot.

rgt320q wrote: »
    Isn't there a dragon on the cover of that album ;)

Love me a bit of power metal, I do. I love it all, from the hypermelodic (Sonata Arctica) to the Tolkienian fantasy stuff (Blind Guardian) and even the epic opera cheese (Rhapsody).

OP, and indeed anyone else who loves their melodic and speedy power metal (even Dragonforce fans too :P), you should check out Hibria. Fantastic musicians and great songwriters to boot.

A Twist in the Myth does indeed have a dragon on the cover! Still, people don't need to know that... OH WAIT, THEY DO, IT'S FRIGGIN' AWESOME.

5845960533a7572683987l.jpg

...AHEM!

I was trying to download Hibria's only album after being recommended them and listening to one of their tracks (Steel Lord on Wheels, was it?) but it wouldn't work. Must fire it up again.

Good man yourself! Give Payment of Existence a listen, they released it last year. It's great stuff.

Ah deadly, I didn't know they had a new album, I'll definitely have to pick that up. I've got their first two albums, erm, waves of visual decay and the other one with the blades on the cover (can't remember the name).

Nice to see a bit of Freedom call high in your charts. I bought one of their albums years ago, not knowing what to expect, and was absolutely disgusted with the cheese that hit me from my speakers. I eventually gave them another chance though and now I've got a bit of a soft spot for them :D

Ah deadly, I didn't know they had a new album, I'll definitely have to pick that up. I've got their first two albums, erm, waves of visual decay and the other one with the blades on the cover (can't remember the name).

Nice to see a bit of Freedom call high in your charts. I bought one of their albums years ago, not knowing what to expect, and was absolutely disgusted with the cheese that hit me from my speakers. I eventually gave them another chance though and now I've got a bit of a soft spot for them :D

Their first album was Conspiracy in Mind. ;)

Freedom Call are probably the happiest and cheesiest power metal band (Or any band, for that matter) I've ever actually heard, and I bloody well love them for it!

• Advertisement

Their first album was Conspiracy in Mind. ;)

That's the one :o
    Freedom Call are probably the happiest and cheesiest power metal band (Or any band, for that matter) I've ever actually heard, and I bloody well love them for it!

Indeed they are, I've still never heard anyone that sounds quite like they do.

Advertisement