Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Metal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Indeed they are, I've still never heard anyone that sounds quite like they do.

Oh god yes, the CHEEEEEEEESE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Oh god yes, the CHEEEEEEEESE!

Didn't you know cheese makes everything else taste much better?

That must be one of their newer songs, never heard it before but I'm glad to see they're still very f*cking happy. :D

Didn't you know cheese makes everything else taste much better?

That must be one of their newer songs, never heard it before but I'm glad to see their still very f*cking happy. :D

The last track off their latest release in 2007 named Dimensions, it's pretty damn awesome alright.

Another cheese-filled band you ALL need to check out is Dragonland, they're bloody amazing, Starfall and Astronomy easily being their best releases. Here's a track from each respectively:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A Twist in the Myth does indeed have a dragon on the cover! Still, people don't need to know that... OH WAIT, THEY DO, IT'S FRIGGIN' AWESOME.

5845960533a7572683987l.jpg

...AHEM!

I was trying to download Hibria's only album after being recommended them and listening to one of their tracks (Steel Lord on Wheels, was it?) but it wouldn't work. Must fire it up again.
    One of my favourite album arts

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The last track off their latest release in 2007 named Dimensions, it's pretty damn awesome alright.

Another cheese-filled band you ALL need to check out is Dragonland, they're bloody amazing, Starfall and Astronomy easily being their best releases. Here's a track from each respectively:

They don't sound too bad, like a well aged swiss ;)

• Advertisement

They don't sound too bad, like a well aged swiss ;)

They're great men alright, it's bands like this that are extremely underrated and overshadowed by ****e like DragonForce.

I went through a huge DragonForce phase years ago, but there comes a time when you realize they're just a bunch of drunken idiots who play fast for the sake of fast, not technical at all. Not to mention they can't play live. I think StudioForce is a name well deserved at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I went through a huge DragonForce phase years ago, but there comes a time when you realize they're just a bunch of drunken idiots who play fast for the sake of fast, not technical at all. Not to mention they can't play live. I think StudioForce is a name well deserved at this stage.

I've heard that a lot actually. Couple of mates went to a gig of theirs in Belfast around November 2006 (I was up there too, but for different reasons) and said it was two hours of their life they'd never get back again. It also marked the same timeframe where they stopped listening to Dragonforce too.

I just can't stand Dragonforce because they caused me to sprain my wrist playing Guitar Hero III two years ago ;)

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I've heard that a lot actually. Couple of mates went to a gig of theirs in Belfast around November 2006 (I was up there too, but for different reasons) and said it was two hours of their life they'd never get back again. It also marked the same timeframe where they stopped listening to Dragonforce too.

I just can't stand Dragonforce because they caused me to sprain my wrist playing Guitar Hero III two years ago ;)

Hahahah, I managed to beat TTFAF on expert! The intro was always the worst.

I don't blame your mates, they could do alot better. I've also heard stories of people who met them after shows who said they had egos the size of the Empire State. Not to mention that every DragonForce song is essentially the same song.

Hahahah, I managed to beat TTFAF on expert! The intro was always the worst.

Alright, i f*cking hate you already! I struggled with it on MEDIUM! :mad:
    I don't blame your mates, they could do alot better. I've also heard stories of people who met them after shows who said they had egos the size of the Empire State. Not to mention that every DragonForce song is essentially the same song.

Well these are the same guys who tried to get me into it which gave me the impression of "All power metal is fantasy sh*te", see earlier in the thread, so i wouldn't take their opinions as gospel (i don't), but it's not just them who've said that about Dragonforce.

Was down at another friends (ironically enough, a Guitar Hero session) a few months back and we saw the video for (a heavily edited) TTFAF, on Kerrapp i think, And she only had one thing to say.

"There's just too much hair in that f*cking band!"

Alright, i f*cking hate you already! I struggled with it on MEDIUM! :mad:

Well these are the same guys who tried to get me into it which gave me the impression of "All power metal is fantasy sh*te", see earlier in the thread, so i wouldn't take their opinions as gospel (i don't), but it's not just them who've said that about Dragonforce.

Was down at another friends (ironically enough, a Guitar Hero session) a few months back and we saw the video for (a heavily edited) TTFAF, on Kerrapp i think, And she only had one thing to say.

"There's just too much hair in that f*cking band!"

DragonForce in a nutshell:

Look over to the right of the video at 0:04, smooth!

• Advertisement

DragonForce in a nutshell:

Look over to the right of the video at 0:04, smooth!

Oh my god, i laughed so f*cking hard!

Oh my god, i laughed so f*cking hard!

They're a band that deserves to be laughed at, yes. <3

They're a band that deserves to be laughed at, yes. <3

Pulling a Def Leppard always deserves a ton of abuse
    (what i mean by that: In the video for Me and My Wine from about 1983, Steve Clark pulls a shape with the guitar and stumbles over on his ass. Anytime i see anything like that, it's the first thing that comes to mind
    )

To paraphrase yourself 2:09, on the right... smooooth! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Hey guys,

I'm part of an Irish power metal band called Valcata with a female vocalist, so if you're into that type of thing check us out. We're getting a good reception so far. I think Ireland's missing a good power metal band! ;)

www.myspace.com/valcata

I've been a big fan of Nightwish for ages, but lately I'm getting into more power-metally power metal like Sonata Arctica, Mercenary and Dragonland. Freedom Call are a good laugh all right. I like their song 'Hymn for the Brave'.

Pugsley wrote: »
    Absolutely love Sabaton though, simple guitars, hilarious lyrics, and just so damn fun.

I was going to get one of their albums a while back untill someone pointed this out to me:

Sabaton - 2008
    Savatage - 1988

One of the most blatant rip-offs I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

The only reference of power metal i have to go on is the very famous Dragon Force who up until now though they were classified as battle metal but from reading some of these post its seems they are relatively the same thing and going by Dragon Force, i find that stlye to be quite repetitive in the drums and riff area although the solo's can be amazing. Not a fan of the lyrics though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

In a way I think the feelgood nature of Power Metal makes it the Hair Metal of the modern age, and thats not an insult, because instead of talking about girls its Power Metallers talking about Demons and Wizards and Lord of the Rings

Power Metal is brilliant

OP, I suggest you seek out Christopher Walken doing a duet with Rhapsody of Fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Love the power metal have had the privilage of seeing many of these great bands have some cool dvds like Star one kind of a heavy metal opera tony mcalpine and the like dont think it was mentioned kind of hard to find but good **** when you do ,also seen avantaisa last year jesus what a singer and artist sammet is loads of these bands are ****in deadly the list is really endless,somebody mentioned dream evil,their 3rd album "the book of heavy metal" was on constant rotation for the guts of a year in my car it has cheese,serious moments and most importantly huge metal riffs highly recommend it!! Bring on the METTTTALLL lol

The only reference of power metal i have to go on is the very famous Dragon Force who up until now though they were classified as battle metal but from reading some of these post its seems they are relatively the same thing and going by Dragon Force, i find that stlye to be quite repetitive in the drums and riff area although the solo's can be amazing. Not a fan of the lyrics though

It's posts like this that always make me cringe, because I know somebody's always gonna use DragonForce has a prime example of power metal. They stand for everything that's bad about the genre. I urge you or anyone else who thinks they're the height of power metal to seriously reconsider and actually listen to the original and creative material other power metal bands have produced, not the random guitar wankery of a bunch of drunken idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

It's posts like this that always make me cringe, because I know somebody's always gonna use DragonForce has a prime example of power metal. They stand for everything that's bad about the genre. I urge you or anyone else who thinks they're the height of power metal to seriously reconsider and actually listen to the original and creative material other power metal bands have produced, not the random guitar wankery of a bunch of drunken idiots.

I actually have to agree with you,I used to think all power metal was like dragonforce until I heard other bands like sonata arctica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Love the power metal have had the privilage of seeing many of these great bands have some cool dvds like Star one kind of a heavy metal opera tony mcalpine and the like dont think it was mentioned kind of hard to find but good **** when you do ,also seen avantaisa last year jesus what a singer and artist sammet is loads of these bands are ****in deadly the list is really endless,somebody mentioned dream evil,their 3rd album "the book of heavy metal" was on constant rotation for the guts of a year in my car it has cheese,serious moments and most importantly huge metal riffs highly recommend it!! Bring on the METTTTALLL lol

Love Star One - have their dvd here for the past few years, but I'm afraid haven't ever watched it.. Terrible for watching music dvd's.
    Listened to the cd's loads though. Avantasia are amazing too, really great band.

I actually have to agree with you,I used to think all power metal was like dragonforce until I heard other bands like sonata arctica.

Thankfully I heard Sonata Arctica first, which is why it's still beyond me as to why I didn't get sick of DragonForce faster in the first place.

right so whos up for starting a proper power metal band?? huh huh??? lol

right so whos up for starting a proper power metal band?? huh huh??? lol

I plan on doing this once I get my keyboard in a few weeks for my 18th. :D

Ireland's seriously lacking a fine power metal export.

it sure is id love to have the fine line that edguy thread the hard rock/power metal line great mix like the album rocket ride ****ing great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

I smell cheese :)

I just ordered a wagonwheel with extra Freedom Call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If we're talking Freedom Call, then it's Gorgonzola time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

The only power metal bands i can really listen to are Nevermore and Mercenary, Mercenary are a hugely underrated band. There are a lot of power metal bands out there that are just completely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Advertisement