Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Metal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The only power metal bands i can really listen to are Nevermore and Mercenary, Mercenary are a hugely underrated band. There are a lot of power metal bands out there that are just completely ridiculous.

Mercenary are awesome Architect Of Lies is just a killer album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The only power metal bands i can really listen to are Nevermore and Mercenary, Mercenary are a hugely underrated band. There are a lot of power metal bands out there that are just completely ridiculous.

Mercenary are good alright.

Wouldn't have thought you could class Nevermore as power metal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Hey, I'm in an Irish power metal band called Valcata. We just recorded an EP and we have a few tracks from it up on our MySpace, check us out and see what you think!

www.myspace.com/valcata

I'm also really into Mercenary. My mate gave me one of their albums to listen to and it blew me away. Redefine Me is some tune. Nightwish is one of my favourite bands, and I'm getting into Sonata Arctica lately too. Dragonland are also whopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I have to bring my precious topic back from the dead with more POWAH!!!11!one

Yes, even Nightwish had their own power metal moments.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yes, even Nightwish had their own power metal moments.
    I've always considered Nightwish to be Power Metal?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I've always considered Nightwish to be Power Metal?

Albums like Dark Passion Play, Once and Century Child would be the ones I wouldn't really consider power metal at all in the slightest, more symphonic metal.

Angels Fall First, Oceanborn and Wishmaster however do carry alot of power metal elements so you'd be right on the money there!

Albums like Dark Passion Play, Once and Century Child would be the ones I wouldn't really consider power metal at all in the slightest, more symphonic metal.

Angels Fall First, Oceanborn and Wishmaster however do carry alot of power metal elements so you'd be right on the money there!
    I only have Oceanborn and Wishmaster so that would explain it :pac:

I only have Oceanborn and Wishmaster so that would explain it :pac:

You're a bad man. GET MOAR.

I just got linked to this. Apart from the fact that it's in Hungarian, it's still amazing.

Sorry for the triple post but I needed to bump this!

Stratovarius-Polaris_cover.jpg

Vocalist Timo Kotipelto describes Polaris as "a positive, powerful album that Stratovarius fans all over the world are certain to take to their hearts."

Anybody else looking forward to their latest effort? Looks like it'll be released just around the time they play the Button Factory next month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Speaking of Stratovarius I'm wondering if the Kotipelto solo albums are of any use? Saw 'waiting for the dawn' on sale and wondering will I pick it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Angel of deth

the one and only Metal (and also the only most beautiful voices (like Michael Kiske) in metal and not this senseless screaming or shouting or whateverXD)- Power Metal!!!

the one and only Metal (and also the only most beautiful voices (like Michael Kiske) in metal and not this senseless screaming or shouting or whateverXD)- Power Metal!!!

Damn straight. One reason I adore power metal is because of the clean vocals. I can manage harsh vocals now and again but you can't beat the clean!

The vocals are what got me into power metal in the first place

The vocals are what got me into power metal in the first place

I'm still content it was the leather pants.

I'm still content it was the leather pants.
    They're what made me stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

I haven't really seen this sub-genre of metal discussed a whole lot on here so I thought I'd start a topic on it and get a few opinions on it. Sorry if there was a topic dedicated to it earlier.

I've been a total powerfag ever since around 2004-2005 I'd say. Sonata Arctica were the first ones to ever attract me to it (And heavy metal in general), and now they're my favourite band! Ever since then I've moved onto alot of different stuff within metal and other music in general, but power metal will always have a special place in my heart. *Tear* Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Twilightning, Firewind, Blind Guardian, Dragonland, Freedom Call, Helloween, Avantasia.. Christ, the list does go on!*

*Please don't include DragonForce

The soaring vocal lines, the outrageous album art, the insane guitar and keyboard solos, the cheesy song titles and band names, what's not to love about it?!

What's wrong with Dragon Force? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Cathy666 wrote: »
    What's wrong with Dragon Force? :o

All their stuff sounds exactly the same! Same structure, same 12 minute tunes, and just farrrrrrrrr too much hair in the band!

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    All their stuff sounds exactly the same!
    Why change a good thing if it works for them? I like them. They certainly wouldn't be one of my favourite bands, but they are good. Credit where credit's due.
    Same structure, same 12 minute tunes
    As per many other bands.
    and just farrrrrrrrr too much hair in the band!
    There's no such thing as too much hair in a band :D

Why change a good thing if it works for them? I like them. They certainly wouldn't be one of my favourite bands, but they are good. Credit where credit's due.

Variety is the spice of life after all.
    As per many other bands.

There's similarity, and then there's barely being able to tell the difference between one song and the next, ala Dragonforce.

I saw the video for TTFAF and first thing i said to myself was "they could hang themselves if they tied all that hair in plaits!"

• Advertisement

Variety is the spice of life after all.
    This is true. As I said, they're not one of my favourites, but I do like their stuff. Albeit all very similar.

There's similarity, and then there's barely being able to tell the difference between one song and the next, ala Dragonforce.
    Maybe you're not listening hard enough. Therefore deeming your comments null and void. :)

I saw the video for TTFAF and first thing i said to myself was "they could hang themselves if they tied all that hair in plaits!"
    I thought it was cool.

Maybe you're not listening hard enough. Therefore deeming your comments null and void. :)

OY! I'm getting old, not deaf! :P

OY! I'm getting old, not deaf! :P

You know I'm just winding you up :p

Was about to say that :p

Dragonforce are repetitive muck though in fairness, seriously, once you've heard one song, you've heard them all

I used to be a huge fan of DragonForce a good while before they made it into Guitar Hero 3. :pac:

But it's true that it's bad when you can barely recognize one song from the next. I couldn't do it 100% of the time and I listened to their stuff most everyday many a year ago. I'd still rather listen to them than emo bollocks but most of the time it's just random guitar wankery that's played fast for the sake of being fast.

Or for the lazy way of explaining it:

I love that video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Try this one

The wonderfully bizarre Grave Digger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKRo9AGRaos

They even have an album about medieval Scotland. I just can't figure why a German band would do an album about Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

All their stuff sounds exactly the same! Same structure, same 12 minute tunes, and just farrrrrrrrr too much hair in the band!

Ah i dont mind the hair! But everything else i agree with. Valley of the damned seems to be catchiest one for me. The rest i find pure boring.

Bands like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Crimson Glory etc. All of which are more appealing and have more variation than Dragonforce.

I thought I'd bring this one back from the dead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Advertisement