Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Metal

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

Definetly the best music genre, been listening to Sonata Arctica's new album and Savage Circus this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

For those Power Metal Fans, I would Deffo recommend Lost Horizon's 1st and 2nd albums obsolutly Ace!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just discovered Sonata Arctica.....:eek:ALL THESE WASTED YEARS!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just discovered Sonata Arctica.....:eek:ALL THESE WASTED YEARS!!!!!!

Their first 4 albums kick the crap out of their last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Their first 4 albums kick the crap out of their last two.

I wouldn't say 'kick the crap'... I'd rather Unia than Winterheart's Guild any day, but Reckoning Night beats the lot. Can't speak for Days of Greys cause I haven't heard it...

• Advertisement

I'm rather attached to Ecliptica and Silence myself. Days of Greys is probably my biggest disappointment of 2009 tbh. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Here is some female-fronted Power Metal from Finland. Fans of Nightwish should like this a lot. It's a band called Villieläin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm rather attached to Ecliptica and Silence myself. Days of Greys is probably my biggest disappointment of 2009 tbh. :(

Come now, it's not that bad! I'd rather they released another Winterheart's Guild myself but I still respect the band for evolving their music and taking it in another direction, since most people would probably still complain if they stayed the same for every album.

It grows on you after every listen I think. The Last Amazing Grays, Flag in the Ground, Deathaura, Zeroes and The Dead Skin are absolutely amazing! I'm liking this one more than Unia. However, it'll always go like this for me, in order of most listened:

Winterheart's Guild > Reckoning Night > Ecliptica > Silence > Days of Grays > Unia

For me:

Silence > Ecliptica > Reckoning Night > Winterheart's Guild > Unia > yore ma > Days of Grays

:pac:

I just much prefer them when they stick to speedy upbeat power metal, I'm not mad about the direction they've taken with the last 2 albums.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm not mad about the direction they've taken with the last 2 albums.
    Same really, Unia has a few good tracks on it but I'm really umimpressed with Days of grays.

Personally I really rate Reckoning Night :) I think it may because it's their first album I got.

For me it's:

Reckoning Night > Ecliptica > Silence/Winterheart's Guild > Unia >>>>>>> Days of Grays

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Well I have Reckoning Night and Ecliptica ordered from Amazon, so it sounds like I've made the right choice :D

Well I have Reckoning Night and Ecliptica ordered from Amazon, so it sounds like I've made the right choice :D

Both excellent choices, but I still think Sonata reached their power metal peak with Winterheart's Guild, which is why it'll always have that special place in my heart! You seriously can't beat the likes of The Cage, Victoria's Secret, Champagne Bath, Silver Tongue, Gravenimage and Abandoned, Please, Brainwashed, Exploited.

The first song of theirs I heard was Don't Say a Word, on this very thread, and that just sold it for me. :cool:

Love that song. Best one on Reckoning Night is White Pearl, Black Oceans imo.

Ecliptica is more upbeat and bouncy - and the songs from it are absolutely fantastic live :)

And I'll now also plug Silence...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Best one on Reckoning Night is White Pearl, Black Oceans imo.
    I'd rate it as their best song, an overall work of art, completely ripped it off for my Leaving Cert English essay :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement