Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can google latitude 3.0 track you

• 05-02-2009 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

my company has started to use e65 nokia phones, can google maps be intalled and you not know it....can the company track you, without you knowing it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You'll probably have better look with this thread already discussing the new release
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055479992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

No they can't track you without your knowledge, if you do not blatantly hand over your phone to someone you don't know, and that person will let your Google Maps run all the time, and keep the application in auto-detect position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

flodis79 wrote: »
    No they can't track you without your knowledge, if you do not blatantly hand over your phone to someone you don't know, and that person will let your Google Maps run all the time, and keep the application in auto-detect position.
    what about a company mobile? can it run hidden or without you noticing? can you delete it or turn it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

If it's on all the time, if will deffo drain the battery quickly and you can notice something suspicious from that.

The Google Maps is not preinstalled on E65, and if it is installed by your management you can just uninstall it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

scully74 wrote: »
    what about a company mobile? can it run hidden or without you noticing? can you delete it or turn it off

Your company would have to arrange special firmware from the network for your company phones which would be a very expensive process. It's not normally possible to make a third party application undetectable and as has been said, it'd drain the battery very quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

But you don't have to keep Maps open for your phone to keep updating your location to Lattitude, so maybe the power drain mightn't be so noticeable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Your company would have to arrange special firmware from the network for your company phones which would be a very expensive process. It's not normally possible to make a third party application undetectable

Actually, you don't need special firmware and it is easy to hide running software and load it in the background.

There's a substantial industry out there selling tracking software for mobile phones.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Actually, you don't need special firmware and it is easy to hide running software and load it in the background.

There's a substantial industry out there selling tracking software for mobile phones.

http://www.google.ie/m?mrestrict=xhtml&eosr=on&ct=fsh&q=symbian+run+in+background

Well shut my mouth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Sam Vimes wrote: »

But this cannot be ...... Vimes ..... wrong ....?
    I have to go sit down now.

(The Lattitude notifier doesn't show up in the standard Nokia Task Manager on my E61 anyways)

long_b wrote: »
    But this cannot be ...... Vimes ..... wrong ....?
    I have to go sit down now.

(The Lattitude notifier doesn't show up in the standard Nokia Task Manager on my E61 anyways)

I know i know your world is coming crashing down around you. You'll just have to try to move on with your life :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I have this on my phone, when you close the application, it asks you if you want to continue submitting your location to latitude, like in the background...

Advertisement