Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seats for Kids

Options
  • 05-02-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

we have a 5 year old and wondering at what age are they no longer required by law to use a car seat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/safety-belts.html
    # Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat.
    # Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles
    # Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts.
    # A rearward-facing child car seat must not be used in the front passenger seat of cars with active airbags.
    # A child car seat must be in accordance with EU or United Nations - Economic Commission for Europe (UN-ECE) standards.
    # Make sure passengers aged under 17 use the correct seat, booster seat, booster cushion or seatbelt. All drivers are legally responsible for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

thanks,
    don't quite understand this one
    # Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts
    /?
    anyone care to shed some light. are there any family vehicles without safetly belts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

syngindub wrote: »
    thanks,
    don't quite understand this one
    # Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts
    /?
    anyone care to shed some light. are there any family vehicles without safetly belts?

By law these days they have to have seatbelts - that's probably left in there to cover vintage cars and older cars which would not have had them? That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

oh ye. sounds like a good theory alright. I'll stick to that so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

That also covers buses I would assume.

So at what age are you allowed to put a child in a front seat (on a booster/child seat)? Is it 12? I only ask because I was doing a run to the dump last week (back seats down, boot full) and my son asked if he could come. I said no, but it got me wondering about the legality of it. He's almost 6, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

# Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat.

I've never taken my son in a taxi, he's 18mts, because i'd never have him just loose on my lap. I'd no idea this was acceptable, which it seems to be. Has anyone ever brought a baby/toddler in a taxi and were you nervous about it?

that's a bit of a strange one alright. Previously when we did have to travel by taxi with our kid a few years ago, i did feel a bit anxious alright. Wasn't aware myself that it was acceptable.

Advertisement