Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If an event like this came to Salthill...

Options
  • 05-02-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

... Would you go and spectate?

The Volvo Ocean race is promised to bring thousands to Galway over a 2 week period. The main excitement for people will be looking at the boats static in the Docks. Then the boats are out racing in the bay they'll be at least 1 mile offshore.

Now what if these little pocket rocket powerboats were literly metre's from the shore, you could get into the pit to see the boats up close, you could talk with the teams, there'd be other things going on like bands etc. on the prom, and it would all be FREE! The event would last 2 days, and would be part of a European Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

JohnCleary wrote: »
    ... Would you go and spectate?

The Volvo Ocean race is promised to bring thousands to Galway over a 2 week period. The main excitement for people will be looking at the boats static in the Docks. Then the boats are out racing in the bay they'll be at least 1 mile offshore.

Now what if these little pocket rocket powerboats were literly metre's from the shore, you could get into the pit to see the boats up close, you could talk with the teams, there'd be other things going on like bands etc. on the prom, and it would all be FREE! The event would last 2 days, and would be part of a European Championship

I'd go. How much are them boats?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd go as long as I could drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd go. How much are them boats?

Pittence. A standard package will only set you back about £8k Sterling for a standard package, and allow about another €1k euro for safety gear

The modified series? How big is your wallet? :p

I forgot to mention, this race would consist of about 20 boats. The first ever Thundercat event was held in Youghal, Co. Cork in Summer 2008. Over the 2 day event, over 65,000 people visited Youghal and 2.2million euro was pumped into the local economy

I'd go as long as I could drive.

Drive the boats? :pac:
    Or drive to Salthill?

If the latter, parking arrangments would be made

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Drive the boats? :pac:
    Or drive to Salthill?

If the latter, parking arrangments would be made

Drive the car from Knocknacarra. Moving there from Salthill this weekend... the missus currently learning to drive (for the umpteenth time God bless her)... She's getting notions...

I'm scared.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

sounds like a good laugh!!!:D:D
    id love to see something like that..
    like ya said would pump a bit of well deserved
    money into galway...
    and we all need cheering up with all the doom
    and gloom going on economy wise...
    bring it on i say....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like a good laugh and the prom is very long with loads of parking .

The Hooker World Championship will be happening between Spiddal and Ballyvaughan that weekend as well , reenacting the rationale for the hooker which was carrying turf to Clare and Aran ( with no bogs) from Connemara .

1 Ton of Turf , 4 Men , 1 Hooker and ye haven't got all day lads.

Just to confirm, this will NOT be happening the same week as the Volvo race unfortunately :( It would be great if it could, as the crowds would be epic. I wish it could be done, but logistically its impossible :(

This would hopefully happen around mid-end July, nice and warm, people sitting on the prom eating ice-cream or sipping on a cool one, watching people race around on the water getting flung out of boats! Unreal entertainment imho :D

keep us posted on that.

Will do. At the moment it's still in the brainstorming stage. If anything proper comes about (around end of April) i'll ask for a Sticky to be created as it'd be a great day out for everyone. In these times of Recession, the people of Galway need free entertainment. This would be a great day out for EVERYONE, including families etc - If you want to spend money in the amusments/take away etc. afterwards it's your own choice, but obviously watching the races/bands will be free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the mackerel!?!

Seriously, looks very cool. Would definitely go.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Won't somebody PLEASE think of the mackerel!?!

Seriously, looks very cool. Would definitely go.

If you want proper mackerel head out to Blackhead, you don't get decent mackerel from the shore. I used to laugh when people used to think they were onto a winner catching HUGE mackerel down the Docks - Dude, why the fcuk do you think they're so big? Cause they've been living off sh1te for the past few days... *shudder*

Will keep people updated. I reckon we could even get a Boards beers out of it :D

If you want proper mackerel head out to Blackhead, you don't get decent mackerel from the shore. I used to laugh when people used to think they were onto a winner catching HUGE mackerel down the Docks - Dude, why the fcuk do you think they're so big? Cause they've been living off sh1te for the past few days... *shudder*

Will keep people updated. I reckon we could even get a Boards beers out of it :D
    yippeeee.....:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would go to see these boats. :)

Any war boats for the Galway Alliance Against War & other Peace Activists? :D An event like this in Salthill wouldn't be the same without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

bring back the airshow:D
    id def go its alot more exciting then the volvo

sgthighway wrote: »
    I would go to see these boats. :)

Any war boats for the Galway Alliance Against War & other Peace Activists? :D An event like this in Salthill wouldn't be the same without them.

I'll get some Duct tape and strap a shotgun to the front (bow, yar!) if that's any good? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

@John
    Are you on a Committee or a Group that want to bring this to Galway. Is it just a "I wish" or realistic to get it here. The whole City would get behind anything that would help the local economy. Is it a case of getting the Race Organisers to host a stage of a bigger race here? Sorry for all the Qs but it would be brilliant. I realise the Volvo boat race is massive but it would be a bit dull for me because there wouldn't be much action.

I've been heavily involved with the ISA (Irish Sailing Association) for the past few years. Don't let the name get to you. ISA are the governing body for sailing/powerboating in Ireland.

The ISA are trying to promote Powerboat's (in general) in Ireland. As this goes, we are WAY behind the times, even compared to the UK. This year we plan to modernise things. There's loads of work going on in the background for powerboat development.

Last year saw the first event like this ever happen in Ireland. It was the "Thundercat European Beach Championship, Youghal, Cork". All the UK guy's came over and gave us an introduction to the sport. To call it 'amazing' would be an understatment. This year THREE clubs around Ireland have decided to get off their arses and host an event like the ones above. The feedback from the Gardai/Ambulance/Cork Council from this event was (almost quote) "At first we were un-sure about hosting such an event so close to the shore, but after 2 days of racing it was evident how well managed the racing was and we would welcome the return of this event in the future"

Last summer, Galway saw the birth of a new club, the Galway Powerboat & Watersports Club (I won't go into the details - feel free to search if you wish) aiming to promote the safe and responsible use of powerboats in Galway. Well now is our chance to host an event that is known throughout the world (These boats are very popular in UK/South Africa/Aus/New Zeland/US) and make a name for ourselves (as a city). The Volvo race will certainly draw a crowd, but personally i'll find it bland. Here is your chance for some up close adrenaline pumping family fun.

Yes, I have a personal interest in this as I race these boats and use them on a daily basis during the summer. These things are so much fun you wouldn't believe. Also, for the size of them they have amazing sea-going capabilities. We've been out in very rough weather and all we could do is laugh as we ploughed through the waves/surf.

The following are FACTS, gathered STATISTICS.... At the Youghal event in 2008, over the 2 days 65,000 people visited the town, and they left 2.2million euro behind them - Even if we got half that in Galway it would be a great boost to the Salthill economy (Or Galway in general)

-Edit- As for 'Am I involved' - I was involved in a 'donkey work' sort of way to bring the Thundercats to Cork last year - I was just a handyman so to speak. But after seeing the benefits it brought to the town, I couldn't help but want to have a race hosted in my home town. I have other committments at the moment, hence not possible to have it the same time as the Volvo stopover, but I will do my best do bring it to Galway this summer. I still have to get in touch with the GPWC to see if they will accept being the official host to the race

As to the "Is it an 'I Wish' or a reality?" - It's definatily a REALITY, if I can get the backing of Galway Council. (I already have backing from Thundercat Racing Ireland & the ISA - So the only people left to convince are Galway Coucil for this to be a reality) Just this year, "Thundercat Racing Ireland" was set-up (By a group of people, voluntary, nothing commercial about it) to try and be independent of the UK guys. We have a series of races organised for the upcoming year (the 3 I mention above) so why not have a 4th in Galway? This is a very entertaining sport for all the family based on feedback from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

If you could get this and the air show it would make one hell off a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd go. Looks like great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I hear the fastest man in the world in them Thundercats is a French fella and he's a right shortarse.

Tasty wife though...

Robbo wrote: »
    I hear the fastest man in the world in them Thundercats is a French fella and he's a right shortarse.

Tasty wife though...

Rumour has it he can drive the things while doing a hand-stand too... Something about a flexible background :pac:

Wanna know the best thing about his yummy wife? She's a YUMMY MUMMY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JohnCleary,

What's the story with the stupid byelaw that the notice of is posted at the slip on the prom, the one that says that powerboats are banned etc? Has that been lifted or would you get some nutcases trying to enforce it?

Always struck me as a stupid byelaw (but what would you expect from Galway City Council?) - what's a powerboat for the purposes of the law - could it be a fishing boat, an oil tanker, a boat laden with scrap?

I'll definitely go to see these races if they come to Galway and fair dues for doing something great for everyone by helping to bring something like this to the town.

churchview wrote: »
    JohnCleary,

What's the story with the stupid byelaw that the notice of is posted at the slip on the prom, the one that says that powerboats are banned etc? Has that been lifted or would you get some nutcases trying to enforce it?

Always struck me as a stupid byelaw (but what would you expect from Galway City Council?) - what's a powerboat for the purposes of the law - could it be a fishing boat, an oil tanker, a boat laden with scrap?

I'll definitely go to see these races if they come to Galway and fair dues for doing something great for everyone by helping to bring something like this to the town.

Those signs have absolutily NO legal holding. They were erected by the Council without ANY thought. Galway Harbour Company are in control of the waters in inner Galway Bay (inc. Salthill) - For the Council to get anything on paper they'd have to go through the Galway Harbour Company.

In conclusion: Ignore those signs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It looks great in those close up shots but i'd say its less spectacular and a bit boring from a spectator point of view

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It looks great in those close up shots but i'd say its less spectacular and a bit boring from a spectator point of view

As a spectator myself, I can tell you that it's NOT boring. But I guess it depends on your interests. For example, some people find tennis boring (I certainly do) yet some people find it the most exciting in the world.

So you may find it boring, no problem, thousands in Cork found it fascinating (this was evident by people hanging around long after the races). However before judging i'd recommend that you watch a race :)

Any more questions, feel free to ask guys....

Those signs have absolutily NO legal holding. They were erected by the Council without ANY thought. Galway Harbour Company are in control of the waters in inner Galway Bay (inc. Salthill) - For the Council to get anything on paper they'd have to go through the Galway Harbour Company.

In conclusion: Ignore those signs

That's kind of what I suspected.

A bit OT - what's the story with the lake and river do you know? I would have thought that it was the navigation trustees that had jurisdiction there rather than the City Council but I think I've seen the same stupid signs on Steamers Quay.

churchview wrote: »
    That's kind of what I suspected.

A bit OT - what's the story with the lake and river do you know? I would have thought that it was the navigation trustees that had jurisdiction there rather than the City Council but I think I've seen the same stupid signs on Steamers Quay.

No problem. The Corrib Navigation ARE in power of the river/lake, but again, the Council like to throw a wobber to keep certain voters happy now and again.

The law on the River:
    JetSki's ARE banned on the natural river (However Friar's Cut is artificial hence JetSki's can be used here) - So technically if you towed your JetSki by another boat up to Friar's Cut (At the top of the river) you wouldn't be breaking any laws

Powerboat's are NOT banned on the river

The law on the Lake:
    Powerboats & JetSki's are NOT banned. There is no legal speed limit, however common sense should prevail ie. slow down when passing other boats, don't come into pier at speed, have respect for wildlife etc.

If anyone want's to discuss this particular matter any further PM me for my mobile number. However i'd like to keep this thread on topic from now on ;)

I feel like I killed this thread by bringing it "Off Topic" so sorry about that and it's worth resurrecting again.

JC - It's a great idea. I can't offer practical support organising it as this coming Summer will be a busy one for me, but if you need signatories to a letter or a petition to the City Council, I'll definitely lend my name and will round up others.

Now, come on everyone else here. Lets support this. Something positive for Galway and damn the begrudgers, loony ecomentalists and anti-war/anti-airshow/anti-fun brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

shud be a good one to get behind....the present mayor at a function for the rowing club last year stated we were a city surronded by water (not literally) and we as a city shud be making more use of it.....last year the GKC had a canoe polo event down in the caladagh basin, crowds did stop to watch doesn't bring millions but im sure any increase of profits are welcomed.....We all have complained about the wind in galway but can't we have an event to harness it..ie kitesurfing comps or windsurfing with the prom being a natural spectators area....
    Well i for one wud love to see our city on the map for an event like this and hope it wud lead to more use of a natural resource

Now for on/off topic dream event : A triathlon test of sorts : starts in clifden with a cyling race to galway then - half marathon route of galway city - sea kayak race to the finish line in Kilronan harbour, Arann Islands.

Advertisement