Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If an event like this came to Salthill...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

sgthighway wrote: »

Any war boats for the Galway Alliance Against War & other Peace Activists? :D An event like this in Salthill wouldn't be the same without them.

Im sure we could ask the Irish Navy to send along one of our Warships, LE Niamh perhaps?:)

Lovely big ****off 76mm OTO MELARA gun on the bow too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

swimgal08 wrote: »
    WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK WE HAVE TO COPY WHAT THE ENGLISH DO
    We're still, in a way, thankful for our colonial past?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the support guys/girls. If it's good enough for the users of the Galway City forum, it's good enough for anyone :D

I agree with what you guys said above... we are almost surrounded by water, yet make very little use of it. Even better we're surrounded by (pretty much) clean water which is something we should not take for granted

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is this actually entertaining (eg like dodgems with powerboats), or are the lads just racing each other?

Seriously ... go for it, I personally wont' be watching, but I'm just a boring wan who doesn't like any sports. Lots will.

And I reckon you should offer to put peace flags on the front of the boats, bring GAAW on side instead of fighting 'em.

JustMary wrote: »
    Is this actually entertaining (eg like dodgems with powerboats), or are the lads just racing each other?

Seriously ... go for it, I personally wont' be watching, but I'm just a boring wan who doesn't like any sports. Lots will.

And I reckon you should offer to put peace flags on the front of the boats, bring GAAW on side instead of fighting 'em.

It's actual racing. An Irish series is being created (instead of joining the UK series) and it would be a national event (possibly international in the future) - There are already 3 confirmed locations this summer, would be nice to get some more.

In the UK it's a pretty serious sport with big sponsorship deals etc. because these races get pretty big media coverage (There's a program on Sky Sports dedicated to this racing) it's just a new sport in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

JohnCleary wrote: »
    ... Would you go and spectate?

The Volvo Ocean race is promised to bring thousands to Galway over a 2 week period. The main excitement for people will be looking at the boats static in the Docks. Then the boats are out racing in the bay they'll be at least 1 mile offshore.

Now what if these little pocket rocket powerboats were literly metre's from the shore, you could get into the pit to see the boats up close, you could talk with the teams, there'd be other things going on like bands etc. on the prom, and it would all be FREE! The event would last 2 days, and would be part of a European Championship

two things:
    first, take a look at the bay on any wednesday evening around 7 during the summer. you'll see the GBSC lads out racing and you'd be suprised to see how close we can get to the shore.
    the in-port races for VOR are specifically hosted to get spectator support so they'll be as close as possible. i can see them getting in well closer to the strand than mutton island! as far as i know, there'll be bands and other stuff going on too during the VOR weeks.

second...and i must be careful how i put this lest anybody turns on me.
    the last thing we need in galway bay are boyracer's on powerboats. insurance on a pleasure craft is already expensive enough, plus, im 17 and i'll be ****ed if driving a powerboat starts to be in anyway near as expensive as driving a car! i've been sailing with GBSC for about 10 years and i have seen how thick people can be when they go out and buy a new power boat with their SSIA.

the guys on Green Dragon know what their doing. you bring that kind of stuff to galway, and your going to have every Tom Dick and Harry thinking thay can spend 8k and go fast with no consequences.

theres already a by-law in side the rinville inlet to keep speed to 5kts in motor boats which is never adheared to.

I'd go to watch.

What sort of crowd would this attract?

One of the big reasons the rally was moved from mid-July to mid-January was because of the anti-social behaviour it brought with it.

aido179 wrote: »
    two things:
    first, take a look at the bay on any wednesday evening around 7 during the summer. you'll see the GBSC lads out racing and you'd be suprised to see how close we can get to the shore.
    the in-port races for VOR are specifically hosted to get spectator support so they'll be as close as possible. i can see them getting in well closer to the strand than mutton island! as far as i know, there'll be bands and other stuff going on too during the VOR weeks.

second...and i must be careful how i put this lest anybody turns on me.
    the last thing we need in galway bay are boyracer's on powerboats. insurance on a pleasure craft is already expensive enough, plus, im 17 and i'll be ****ed if driving a powerboat starts to be in anyway near as expensive as driving a car! i've been sailing with GBSC for about 10 years and i have seen how thick people can be when they go out and buy a new power boat with their SSIA.

the guys on Green Dragon know what their doing. you bring that kind of stuff to galway, and your going to have every Tom Dick and Harry thinking thay can spend 8k and go fast with no consequences.

theres already a by-law in side the rinville inlet to keep speed to 5kts in motor boats which is never adheared to.

aido - Unfortunately you're not as wise as you think you are.

I can see your concern, but let me tell you the people driving these things have a lot more experience and practise than you and I combined.

These events are held on a weekly basis in the UK and all over the world. There are strict licensing measures etc. and insurance is mandatory.

This is from having about 12 years experience on the bay:
    1) These boats will be a LOT closer to the shore than any sailing boat ever will be

2) If you think these guys are 'boyracers of the water', what do you call wreckless PWC'ers? The people driving these fine craft have been on RYA training sessions etc. before even being able to get a license, then they must get insured.

To make things more local, the ISA are going to be the governing body for these events (as with the sailing events in Ireland) - Now you're telling me that the ISA is going to be liable for letting every 'Tom, Dick and Harry go wild'? Get a clue, kid.

Your snobbery is sickening, and gives a bad taste about raggies in general. I mean this by your comment 'anyone can just to spend 8k and go wild' comment - it's simply not true. Before I could buy mine, I had to fly over to Devon in the UK on a training course... they simply wouldn't sell it to me until I did (included in the price)

I can appreciate that you guys want to make the bay feel as if it's your own (I have enough time spent in various clubs in Galway where people feel they 'own' something that they don't). You're going to have to get with the times and realise that you're going to have to share the bay. Your post was pure ignorant giving the taint of "This is my bay, p1ss off elsewhere" - It's people with your attitude that will not accept evolution once you're happy with your surroundings

If you don't like the sport, fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't be coming up with lude arguments against it. Sure I could give out plenty about snobby raggies on Galway Bay that wouldn't know a COLREG if it slapped them in the face, but I don't because they're happy to stick to their side and I keep well out of their way, that way everybody can be happy

For what it's worth, i've sailed in the past also and I think it's a lovely sport/hobby, your niave and ignorant attitude will be the demise of it.

PS. Having talks with the ISA and managing companies soon - This could be a reality guys, keep the support coming

What sort of crowd would this attract?

Mainly families actually. It's a free, exciting day out so most families have the cop on the bring kids out to bring them a bit of excitement for the day as it's free.

If this gets to Galway it won't be just the races, there'll be so much more such as FREE concerts and a firework's display etc.

Again, just to confirm, this will NOT be happening the same weekend as the Volvo stopover. It'll be some weekend during the summer when there's not much else on - Why put all your eggs in one basket??

For what it's worth, as i've said above... The people who drive these things go through a lot of training and have lots of experience (More than me, i'll admit - and i'm a flippin' waterbaby). Aswell as that they have to get licenses from the governing body each year (the ISA). And on top of that, they must also pay insurance.

Calling these people boyracers of the water is like calling rally drivers competing in international rallies boyracers too - it's laughable. But mind you, anything swimgal has contributed to these forums is laughable anyhow, so nothing new there. Don't worry swimgal, i'll give you plenty of notice if this event comes to Galway - You can go sulk in the corner somewhere :D

I didn't mean to come down harsh on aido, but I know all about marine insurance (as in, I drop my pants each year to have it!) - There is no way in hell you can get insured on fast craft in Ireland without having the necessary training, whereas with a yacht... you can just go out, buy uour big fancy yacht, drink your wine and crash without any qualificaiton and you'll be covered. It's not so easy for powerboaters. I just found aido's attitude a bit snobby as the fact that he had to bring up the price of these boats as a negative to the sport? As in "Ooohh, they're cheap, so a load of boyracers are going to go out and buy them", giving the attitue that people who sail Yachts are so much more rich and better than anyone else? Aido, some clown can go out and spend less than £8k Sterling on a Jetski that'll do twice the speed and kill himself. You could also go otu and spend £1k (sterling/euro who cares) and buy a little sailing boat and then accidently crash into a small dinghy and drown everyone on board - If you want to get into an argument over that i'll be glad to meet you someday and we'll talk about it over a pint, er, I mean coffee (Just PM me), as otherwise i'd be typing all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

aha.
    im sure your likely point of view is that im trying to knock it..but i have only given my own point of view.
    the price of a yacht has nothing to do with it. the last thing i want to be doing is comming across snobby. i know exactly what it takes in regards to powerboat licenses, but your point about these people going through the training makes no difference when it comes to the eejit who gets a boat without insurance, adding to the figures (such as boyracers upping the price for males under 25 for car insurance). If these boats are going for <8k, anybody could acquire one and just head out and kill someone.

you wanna try and even look at the amount of people that would go NEAR a small sailing boat without proper training? they wouldn't be able to get it off the shore, not to mind get fast enough to kill anybody.

I have no more to say on the issue, im not interested in a flame war. if ya wanna make mockery of my age in relation to experience i'll gladly see you on the water. i've dealt with cnts like you before.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

aido179, infraction for abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Aido 179 (or Aido, can he really be 17 yet?),

Your last post made a bit of sense is some places, but you made a fool of yourself in the last line with your gratuitous illiterate insult.

I'll show my colours a bit here.

I used to sail quite a bit with GBSC when you were still in short trousers - actually if you're 17, before you were even on this earth. I got fed up with the snobbish attitude of many people I met who "sailed" (by which I mean propped up the bar in the sailing club and couldn't/didn't do much else). On the other hand there were many who were out on the water at any opportunity in anything that floated. One of the successful businessmen behind the Volvo Race coming the Galway was known as a guy who'd "sail the Atlantic on a bag of sugar"..and back then he could barely afford the bag of sugar - signs on, he's now bringing such a huge race to Galway. Anyway, at that time unfortunately the "sailors" at the bar outnumbered those on the water, and I decided it wasn't for me any more.

Cut to today.

We've guys like JohnCleary (whoever he is) encouraging everyone to get involved in Watersports whether they can afford 8 grand boats, 80 grand boats or can just get to the prom to watch. I've also heard that GBSC has completely changed and there is a great buzz out there with all sorts racing regularly.

Let's all encourage everyone to take part in Watersports. Elitist or exclusionary comments, (even if they are cloaked in cynically expressed concern for people with only 8,000 who are considered therefore to be a danger), do no favours to those lucky enough to currently take part in watersports. Galway Bay, the River Corrib and Lough Corrib belong to all the people and can be enjoyed by all with appropriate training and a responsible attitude to safety.

As for the Thundercats, I'm going to start saving and I'm going to contact the ISA to get whatever licence I need! Hopefully I haven't forgotten it all at this stage!

Post of the day churchview!

I agree with that post 100%. I too used to sail a bit out at the GBSC but just like you, found that it wasn't for me for various reasons (mainly because there wasn't an engine on them :p) - But you're right, there's a great buzz out there now and on a weekly basis you can see kids from a very young age getting involved in the water. The best thing is that they seemed to be sailing because they enjoyed it, not because they thought they were part of some elitist group... Then this aido fella comes along and makes stupid comments and quite frankly makes an eejit of himself. I just hope that he isin't representing the other people in his age bracket out at the GBSC - I've a feeling that some people would be disgusted with his attitude. However I can only hope that he is definately a minority group with stupid comments like "I'll deal with you on the water" - What kind of a person says something like that? Someone with no water education imho

Anyhow, back on topic. Churchview, if you seriously think you'd like to get involved in this sport you're more than welcome to come out for a blast with me in my boat sometime. Then you could come along to one of the Thundercat events confirmed for this summer (Skerries, Youghal & Kilalloe) and see it for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Churchview, if you seriously think you'd like to get involved in this sport you're more than welcome to come out for a blast with me in my boat sometime. Then you could come along to one of the Thundercat events confirmed for this summer (Skerries, Youghal & Kilalloe) and see it for yourself!

I'll definitely take you up on that, thanks a million. However, I'm gone a little soft so I'll wait 'til it warms up a bit :). Thanks again.

churchview wrote: »
    I'll definitely take you up on that, thanks a million. However, I'm gone a little soft so I'll wait 'til it warms up a bit :). Thanks again.

Won't be going out again until at least Easter myself - I'm putting myself through enough torture scuba diving in a wetsuit at the moment :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

I want the airshow to come back.

Advertisement