Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts being deleted

Options
  • 05-02-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

a few of my posts have been deleted from After hours. Now mind you they were 'Your ma!' style posts.

Is there a new rule where Your Ma is not allowed be mentioned in after hours?

Although Your Ma is extremely juvenille I still get great pleasure out of Your Ma.

In fact any time I think about Your Ma I crack up.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this as I was not contacted by any mod's about these deletions. And I did also notice that someone else who mentioned Your Ma had their post deleted also.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I believe there was 4 or 5 yore ma posts in a row in one thread. They were deleted because they add nothing to the thread and will just de-rail it.

It's times like this I think about banning anyone who makes a yore ma post.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

That is such a pity, as its after hours. Sometimes everyone need somewhere they can just have a laugh.

Its not a serious forum after all.

But since Im not a 'power that be' I can do nothing about it.

But thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It's old though and not funny in the slightest. Like Jo Brand.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I removed an astonishing number of these posts from one thread today and may have also removed one of yours into the mix.
    It would just become crazy trying to PM every individual poster who makes the yore ma joke whose posts get deleted.

Reason being the following addendum to the charter thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53864771&postcount=8
    Check the date on that post.
    Thats how long ago that that joke got ooooooooold. But hey I understand, I was once new and made the terrible mistake of making a crap joke too so I understand why it keeps on coming back up in day to day AH threads but you have to see why we have to delete these posts at this stage.
    Its old. Its done. pick up the pieces after these facts and move on please!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MLE wrote: »
    That is such a pity, as its after hours. Sometimes everyone need somewhere they can just have a laugh.

Its not a serious forum after all.

I know it isn't a serious forum. We try to run the forum that will please as the majority of people there. The yore ma posts seem to piss off more people than they please.
    But since Im not a 'power that be' I can do nothing about it.

It was actually the amount of people asking us to ban yore ma posts that led to this action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

:(

i enjoy your ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hi,

a few of my posts have been deleted from After hours. Now mind you they were 'Your ma!' style posts.

Is there a new rule where Your Ma is not allowed be mentioned in after hours?

I sincerely hope so.

Oh yeah, about as funny as cancer, and almost as old.

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Then post something funny.

Now, I'm not for blanket condemnation of "yore ma" jokes. Shakespeare even used "yore ma" jokes:
    Demetrius: "Villain, what hast thou done?"
    Aaron: "That which thou canst not undo."
    Chiron: "Thou hast undone our mother."
    Aaron: "Villain, I have done thy mother."
    And the less good:
    Painter: "Y'are a dog."
    Apemantus: "Thy mother's of my generation. What's she, if I be a dog?"
    Still. They're both as just part of entire plays, and both a lot better than most AH examples, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I sincerely hope so.

Oh yeah, about as funny as cancer, and almost as old.

HTH.

oh man, thats the best quote of the day! ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

just stumbled across this now. now i knew that yore ma was both old/boring and basically banned but there are exceptions when in funny situations right??

obviously not "what's the cheapest you'd work for?"

first reply - yore ma etc

but in the rare situation can only get better when a "Yore ma" or suitable equivalent is brought into playthat is permissable!??

am i right?!

disclaimer-this has no signifigant relevance to my very last post 2 mins ago in AH
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58917950&postcount=32
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There should be a named equivalent of godwins law for the use of yore ma, because it makes me disregard any further posts by that poster generally if they are a regular user of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    There should be a named equivalent of godwins law for the use of yore ma, because it makes me disregard any further posts by that poster generally if they are a regular user of it.

YEP, the odd time can be funny especially if it's unseen or original, hence the humour.

Usually it isn't original, so it's boring, hence 4 posts in a row adding nothing to a thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Many of snypers posts have disappeared in ah like a 6 year old in portugal. I dont mind really, as the alternative is to leave them and hand out infractions

• Registered Users Posts: 83,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fcuk that i made a great yore ma post last week and one of you clowns deleted it before i knew what happened.

whatever, i dont care that much.

cos you can't delete the fact that i had sex with your <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

snyper wrote: »
    Many of snypers posts have disappeared in ah like a 6 year old in portugal.

You have made me into a bad person because I laughed at that !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

You should put in a filter to change YORE MA to JO BRAND
    Now that would be lulz

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gandalf wrote: »
    You have made me into a bad person because I laughed at that !!!

Oh pleeeease.
    You've been bad as long as I know you and nothing snyper says could possibly make you any worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Kirnsy wrote: »
    but in the rare situation can only get better when a "Yore ma" or suitable equivalent is brought into playthat is permissable!??

Yes, but the problem is some people only get the form of the joke and not the source of the humour.

Have you ever heard a young child tell a joke of their own devising? One my sister used to tell when she was young was "What did the dog find? - A bone in the mud." She understood the question-response form of the joke, but not what made it funny.

This sort of thing is common, and part of how children eventually learn how to tell jokes properly.

At least some of them do, those who don't grow up without getting it post "Yore Ma" in AH. It's easier to explain to them that "Yore Ma" isn't allowed in AH than to explain that it has to be an actual joke, as they don't understand humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That is such a pity, as its after hours.

Yes, but it's not a creche, and there's still such a thing as pointless off-topic posts that do nothing for the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

5starpool wrote: »
    Godwin's Ma's Law? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Even when i was in primary school in the 80's we had yore ma jokes. It was really boring. In fact it was so boring we had to think up new ma jokes. Someone came up with "yore ma is yore da". To this day i still dont understand it.

I think he shines shoes at the airport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Are "yore ma" posts the only posts that are deleted? If not what is the criteria for a deleted post? Personally I would prefer to see a refreaction given than a post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Are "yore ma" posts the only posts that are deleted? If not what is the criteria for a deleted post? Personally I would prefer to see a refreaction given than a post deleted.

No not every post deleted is a yore ma post and not every yore ma post is deleted. I can't list the criteria for AH because there are few hard and fast rules. It's usually a case by case decision on whether the post adds anything or derails the thread or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

javaboy wrote: »
    No not every post deleted is a yore ma post and not every yore ma post is deleted. I can't list the criteria for AH because there are few hard and fast rules. It's usually a case by case decision on whether the post adds anything or derails the thread or whatever.
    In fairness if you deleted every post that goes against the 'rules' then how are people going to know what is and isn't ok. In my opinion I would prefer to see an infraction given to bad posts with a yellow card attached to the post (this might be just the soccer forum as thats where I seen it) and that way people eventually get the idea what is and isn't acceptable. I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be to read through a forum and see your post deleted for no apparent reason.

I also think it is slight censorship but we don't have free speech on boards so that really isn't much of an argument.

Advertisement