Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned badger cub saved from freezing temperatures by wildlife lover

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

A newborn badger had a lucky save when someone found her on top of a sett. Just five-day-old cub the cub was named Snowdrop, had been abandoned and was close to freezing to death when she was discovered in a garden in Torquay, Devon on Friday. These animals like foxes should be all protected from bloodsports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1136887/Weather-casualty-Abandoned-badger-cub-saved-freezing-temperatures-wildlife-lover.html

Hi first post here but I've been watching a while. Thats a fine reliable paper you are reading there:rolleyes:. Badgers are a protected species in this country and in the rest of europe also:confused:. Foxes are not protected. Why the reference to bloodsports?:confused: Having read the article there is no mention of bloodsports. The badger had been abandoned quite naturally.
    I suggest that you are in breach of standard charter rules and that you are baiting for a response and trying to start an anti hunting v's pro hunting debate about foxes not badgers. I am reporting this thread and the OP for baiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Superdaddy wrote: »
    Hi first post here but I've been watching a while. Thats a fine reliable paper you are reading there:rolleyes:..
    At least its a light hearted change from all this economic doom and gloom that one would currently find in the broad sheets. :rolleyes:
    Badgers are a protected species in this country and in the rest of europe also:confused,
    Foxes are not protected. Why the reference to bloodsports?:confused: Having read the article there is no mention of bloodsports. The badger had been abandoned quite naturally.
    Would you have rescued this badger if you found it abandoned?
    I suggest that you are in breach of standard charter rules and that you are baiting for a response and trying to start an anti hunting v's pro hunting debate about foxes not badgers. I am reporting this thread and the OP for baiting.
    According to this source thousands of badgers are killed illegally each year and the problem is increasing often through the unlawful actions of fox hunts.

http://www.bucks-badgers.org.uk/badgers%20and%20the%20law.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree with Superdaddy. I think the OP is baiting for a bloodsports argument.

Yet another of his dubious British Tabloid paper links. The protection laws are different in Britain to Ireland as regards Badgers and Foxes so let's stick to relevant issues in Ireland.

The cub was abandoned naturally. Should we interfere - another debate altogether and not for this particular thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The cub was abandoned naturally. Should we interfere - another debate altogether and not for this particular thread.

Well, why not? Might as well make something useful of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Well, why not? Might as well make something useful of the thread.

Let's run with that angle then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Save a baby badger, thats great, move on. Only thing the story has in common with blood sports is the usual gooey '' I love kittens'' sort of stuff that you expect from the Daily Mail. Same sort of folk (and lots of them in england) would ignore a child in trouble. And same sort of folk like foxes because they're red and cuddly.

And of course it goes without saying that the rest of us hate foxes and all wildlife which is why we're on the forum in the first place.

Would you have rescued this badger if you found it abandoned?

Why would a person want to rear a badger cub? Usually the answer is, for selfish reasons. It is not for conservation reasons. Saving an animal that nature intended to perish without any interference from man, is this right?
    They are still wild animals and when tamed they are dangerous and liable to bite and injure people. This usually results in them being put down or subjected to a life far from nature intended.
    No i would not rear it unless i wanted it for selfish reasons. Which at present i don't. Would i prevent it from suffering, most definitely yes.

Why would a person want to rear a badger cub?.
    To make shaving brushes with:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Because it is alive and in need.

And I say that having lost a much-loved pet cat to a badger.

Why would a person want to rear a badger cub?r

• Advertisement

Why would a person want to rear a badger cub? Usually the answer is, for selfish reasons. It is not for conservation reasons. Saving an animal that nature intended to perish without any interference from man, is this right? .
    Of course its right, Badgers, foxes and other wildlife have had their natural environments turned upside down by man through farming methods, urban sprawl and developments squeezing these creatures of food supplies. If I found a Badger cub I would certainly take it in and make phone calls to fine someone that is capable of caring for it till it reaches an age to defend itself.
    They are still wild animals and when tamed they are dangerous and liable to bite and injure people. This usually results in them being put down or subjected to a life far from nature intended. No i would not rear it unless i wanted it for selfish reasons. Which at present i don't. Would i prevent it from suffering, most definitely yes.
    I would be more concerned about domestic dogs on our streets than a released badger into the wild. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

My personal feelings would be that I shouldn't interfere, but I probably would, just because I'm too soft. Were I being clinical about it, probably best to dispatch it quickly and end its suffering. It's not our role to nurture the young of other species, however, I'd probably try and do something myself, out of softness.

Badgers, foxes and other wildlife have had their natural environments turned upside down by man through farming methods, urban sprawl and developments squeezing these creatures of food supplies.
    Some of them are not being served at pubs and clubs. It's terrible.

Some of them are not being served at pubs and clubs. It's terrible.
    Thats not true. :D

Fox%20&%20Badger.jpg

To make shaving brushes with:)
    :):):)
    sorella wrote: »
    Because it is alive and in need.

And I say that having lost a much-loved pet cat to a badger.

And that need should be met by its parents and humans should not interfere. This is the natural way and another animal will benefit from its death.
    What about all the birds your cat killed:). How do you know a badger killed your cat? That would be very very unusual:eek:. Maybe he choked on a Robin:)
    Of course its right, Badgers, foxes and other wildlife have had their natural environments turned upside down by man through farming methods, urban sprawl and developments squeezing these creatures of food supplies. If I found a Badger cub I would certainly take it in and make phone calls to fine someone that is capable of caring for it till it reaches an age to defend itself.

I would be more concerned about domestic dogs on our streets than a released badger into the wild. :rolleyes:

And how is saving one badger cub going to rectify that? you will end up feeding it cat and dog food which is sourced from farmed meats, how natural is that? It would be far more beneficial to let it die or put it out of it's misery and allow a wild scavenger that depends on a certain percentage of young animals dying for it's own survival.
    Anybody that wants to help Badgers should lobby the department of Ag to stop their indiscriminate snaring/ "research":rolleyes:.

And how is saving one badger cub going to rectify that? you will end up feeding it cat and dog food which is sourced from farmed meats, how natural is that? It would be far more beneficial to let it die or put it out of it's misery and allow a wild scavenger that depends on a certain percentage of young animals dying for it's own survival.
    Anybody that wants to help Badgers should lobby the department of Ag to stop their indiscriminate snaring/ "research":rolleyes:.
    I never said that I would look after it, I said I would make phone calls as soon as I got it.

In the 21th Century it has become natural for urban foxes and badgers to be eating dog food left over from family pets. I have seen foxes in my back garden swiping food from the dog's dish. :)

My local fox prefers pedigree chum. :D

Hope you feel better soon...

Yes, we saw it.

It is not all that unusual in rural areas.
    Just the badger watch people do not like to admit it.

Yes nature; but it is natural also to care and nurture.

Others of our cats were molested there.

It is our free choice to succour wild life; as we succour orphaned puppies and kittens.

And baby rabbits etc if they come our way.

As humans succour tiny babies also.

So we will continue to do so .

OK?

OK.

PS and of course we wholeheartedly agree with you re the lobbying; ditto with the fur farming in Donegal. One does not preclude the other.

And that need should be met by its parents and humans should not interfere. This is the natural way and another animal will benefit from its death.
    What about all the birds your cat killed:). How do you know a badger killed your cat? That would be very very unusual:eek:. Maybe he choked on a Robin:)

I never said that I would look after it, I said I would make phone calls as soon as I got it.

In the 21th Century it has become natural for urban foxes and badgers to be eating dog food left over from family pets. I have seen foxes in my back garden swiping food from the dog's dish. :)

My local fox prefers pedigree chum. :D

It's still not natural if the food is coming from humans, you were arguing that farming is destroying their habitat, but yet you contribute to that by leaving out unnatural food sources derived from farming, catch 22? I thought we were talking about badgers not foxes.
    Hope you feel better soon...

Yes, we saw it.

It is not all that unusual in rural areas.
    Just the badger watch people do not like to admit it.

Yes nature; but it is natural also to care and nurture.

Others of our cats were molested there.

It is our free choice to succour wild life; as we succour orphaned puppies and kittens.

And baby rabbits etc if they come our way.

As humans succour tiny babies also.

So we will continue to do so .

OK?

OK.

PS and of course we wholeheartedly agree with you re the lobbying; ditto with the fur farming in Donegal. One does not preclude the other.

Succour??? What is that?
    I find it hard to make sense of what you wrote.
    Badgers do not hunt and kill cats, think about it for a second! Why would a badger risk injury in a battle with a cat. How would it catch a cat? Think of how mobile a cat is, I can run faster than a badger. You are not being realistic if you believe badgers are a threat to cats.

I won't be trying to stop fur farming, that has nothing to do with protecting wildlife or this forum. You confuse conservation with animal rights.:rolleyes:
    As i said before you are not helping when you rescue animals that would naturally die in the wild, other animals depend on them for food.

It's difficult to discuss conservation with the animals from farthing wood:)

Young man; we do not lie or make mistakes like that.

OK?
    OK.

Over and out..

Succour??? What is that?
    I find it hard to make sense of what you wrote.
    Badgers do not hunt and kill cats, think about it for a second! Why would a badger risk injury in a battle with a cat. How would it catch a cat? Think of how mobile a cat is, I can run faster than a badger. You are not being realistic if you believe badgers are a threat to cats.

I won't be trying to stop fur farming, that has nothing to do with protecting wildlife or this forum. You confuse conservation with animal rights.:rolleyes:
    As i said before you are not helping when you rescue animals that would naturally die in the wild, other animals depend on them for food.[/quote]

• Advertisement

Young man; we do not lie or make mistakes like that.

OK?
    OK.

Over and out..

What do you mean by succour? How do you mean we? Is Sorella more than one person? How do you know that badgers are killing cats? What evidence do you have?

Ok??Ok? over and out??:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for referring to me as a young man though:D

Sorella is a hermitic nun. Not from Ireland, I think. Obviously very well intentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JohnnyApple

Hammiepeters - that was unnecessarily offensive, wasn't it? Does it matter what country she's from - are you xenophobic?

Superdaddy - succour means help, assistance, relief, comfort . . . look it up.

Hammiepeters - that was unnecessarily offensive, wasn't it? Does it matter what country she's from - are you xenophobic?

Superdaddy - succour means help, assistance, relief, comfort . . . look it up.
    No I'm not xenophobic. I'm just clarifying for the OP as to why the previous post was granatically confusing. Sorella a wrote a book called Tales from an Irish Hermitage by A Nun of Grace. You are the one jumping to conclusions here. So go and get succoured.

Sorella is the one who correctly used the word "succour", so I don't know why you brought up her nationality. As far as I can see, her grammar was perfect and completely understandable. I haven't jumped to any conclusions, other than that you seem to be addressing the wrong problem.

Superdaddy is the one who didn't understand the word "succour".

Will I be jumping to conclusions if I understand the phrase "go get succoured" to be a double entendre on your part? Sure sounds like it . . .

Maybe you should go and troll on some other forum. Goodbye.

Sorella is the one who correctly used the word "succour", so I don't know why you brought up her nationality. As far as I can see, her grammar was perfect and completely understandable. I haven't jumped to any conclusions, other than that you seem to be addressing the wrong problem.

Superdaddy is the one who didn't understand the word "succour".

Will I be jumping to conclusions if I understand the phrase "go get succoured" to be a double entendre on your part? Sure sounds like it . . .

I asked the meaning of a word that 99% of people would not know. Spell check didn't even know it:). I did look it up when Sorella who ever they or she is didn't reply to any of my questions.

Superdaddy - apologies - I thought you were being a bit smart - MS Word spell check / thesaurus had it!

Hammiepeters - if you cant handle being challenged, maybe YOU should go and sulk elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Superdaddy - apologies - I thought you were being a bit smart - MS Word spell check / thesaurus had it!

Hammiepeters - if you cant handle being challenged, maybe YOU should go and sulk elsewhere.

JohnnyApple, can we dispense with the personal comments and perhaps just paticipate in to a thread by sticking to the topic and adding some value to a discussion.

The whole notion of rescuing this young Badger is divided by a person's take on Nature. A very personal thing and both sides can argue until the cows come home without having any influence over the other. Myself (as a professional working in the enviroment and nature) I would probably leave the creature to Nature but I have rescued other animals & birds in the past. A Badger is a tricky one as re-habilitation is difficult and their numbers are not in danger. Then again Foxes are not endangered and I have recued a Fox cub in the past. It all depends on the circumstances of the orphan. If the aminal is outcast for natural reasons I'd be more inclined to leave it. If orphaned due to man then that's another story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Okay... too messy. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement