Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning the bass.

Options
  • 05-02-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Can anyone help me out? I would like to know if anyone has a link to all the scales and chords tabbed out for bass? Most of the sites which concentrate on songs are a little unreliable.
    Any advice, tips and techniques is also very appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Cant be of any help in the tabs dept I'm afraid as I never use tabs. I'm sure someone here will help you out though. A great instructional bass website is :

www.studybass.com

If you are a complete beginner, my advice is to get some lessons from a teacher. He/she can show you good technique and prevent you from developing bad habits at the start, that you otherwise might have to reverse later. IMO you learn more faster from a teacher than from the net or a book.

Another good bass site is www.talkbass.com It has sections on technique and everything to do with the bass.

Basic technique (though not written in stone ;) ) to start with would be :

1. Use the index and middle finger alternately when plucking.

2. Keep both wrists as straight as possible.

3. On the fretting hand, keep the thumb at the back of the neck, as opposed to sticking over the top. Also it should be roughly in line with the middle of the palm. Keep the hand relaxed and dont grab the neck in a death grip.

4. Press down on the fretboard just enough to get a clean sounding note, which really does not need much pressure.

5. Your bass should ( this is up to the individual though ) be at the same height on your body sitting down and standing.

6. Not technique related : Always use a metronome when practicing.

I'm assuming you are a complete beginner, so sorry if you know all this already.

Hope this is of some help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

activebass.com is a usefull site

Advertisement