Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Chocolate bars to be made smaller in Government anti obesity drive

• 05-02-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The UK government is set to order manufacturers to shrink the size of chocolate bars and fizzy drinks.

Health Secretary Alan Johnson will tell firms such as Mars, Coca-Cola, Britvic and Nestlé that smaller versions of their products should be available in all garages and corner shops to help stop people piling on weight.

This dosn't make any sense because people will only double up on their orders and will be worse off than before these measures. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1136092/Chocolate-bars-smaller-Government-anti-obesity-drive.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Bet prices will remain the same / go up. I've been paranoid about bars getting smaller over time (wrapper may remain the same size).....and it's not just me getting bigger with age :D

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Misleading topic line, its not an order and standard size proportions shall remain availible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mike65 wrote: »
    Misleading topic line, its not an order and standard size proportions shall remain availible.
    Its the Daily Mail. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Bet prices will remain the same / go up. I've been paranoid about bars getting smaller over time (wrapper may remain the same size).....and it's not just me getting bigger with age :D
    Just check the weights, you have got bigger with age BTW, many think creme eggs were huge since their hands were once tiny. I always remember getting creme eggs in egg cups at breakfast on easter sunday, and my mother had to put tissue to hold them up, yet I have heard a few people who were certain they were once the size of real eggs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Creme_Egg
    When first introduced in Britain, the original Cadbury Creme Egg weighed 40 grams (1.4 oz) and contained 171.6 Calories.[1] Cadbury Creme Eggs sold in the UK and Canada have remained at this size, but those sold by Hershey's in the United States have decreased in size since their introduction - before 2006 they are listed with a weight of 39 grams,[2] while today they are listed at 34 grams.

I have mars mug with a old advert "2d for 2 good ounces", which is 56g, so they might be bigger now. Not sure of the weight here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_bar
    Various sizes are made: miniature bars called "FUN SIZE" (19.7 gram); "Snack Time" (36.5 gram) which is sold in multiple packs; a larger multi-pack size of 54 gram, the regular sized single 62.5 gram bar (which seems to have again been stealthily reduced in size to 58 gram, without any price drop. Jan 2009); and a "Kingsize" 84 gram bar which has since been replaced by "Mars Duo" (91 gram) this is a pack that contains 2 smaller bars instead of 1 large one. The regular 62.5 gram single bar contains 284 calories. (Now 58 gram containing 259 calories.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

One thing I say for Lidl & Aldi, their chock bars are more delicious, larger and cheaper than any of the UK brands. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement