Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The infamous missed goal ! FA Enquiry

• 05-02-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

FA wants answers over missed goal

The Football Association (FA) is demanding "a full explanation" into how viewers missed a crucial FA Cup goal due to a technical hitch.

Everton's winning strike in extra time happened as ITV1's coverage abruptly went to an advert break.

ITV boss Michael Grade has said the glitch, which has prompted 1,000 complaints, was "inexcusable".

An automated system for screening adverts was still in place during the extended Liverpool v Everton match.

It is used when schedules are running normally, and fails to take overruns into account.

'Stringent procedures'
    _45447183_everton_ap226282.jpg Dan Gosling celebrates after netting the crucial goal for Everton

Viewers in some regions were still able to see substitute Dan Gosling's goal, but others returned to the coverage during the players' celebrations.

"Technically it came at a particularly bad time for us," said host Steve Rider before saying sorry.

Grade said: "As a football fan myself, I was glued to the match and was as disappointed as anyone to miss the goal."

He added: "We have years of experience in dealing with the changes in ad break patterns when games go into extra time and sometimes penalties.

"This we have done faultlessly through the Champions League, World Cup and European Championships.

"We are awaiting the results of our technical inquiry so we can put in place stringent and immediate procedures to address this," he added.
    In a statement, ITV called the occurrence an "unprecedented transmission error".

o.gif_45090374_grade1_bodypa.jpg
    start_quote_rb.gifAs a football fan myself, I was glued to the match and was as disappointed as anyone to miss the goal end_quote_rb.gif

Michael Grade, ITV executive chairman

But the FA has called for a fuller explanation, saying the mistake was "very disappointing".

"It is important that lessons are learned and that this does not happen again," the FA said in a statement on its website.

Everton fan Robbie Hall said: "I was watching on Freeview and once the adverts got under way we had no idea what was going on.

"After about 10 seconds the game returned just as Gosling scored. I saw the goal live but it was a mess." Paul Snowdon from Merseyside said: "ITV needs to start taking its football seriously. This should never have happened."

I was watching on Canal+ in Spain and had no interruption at all so this is clearly an ITV only problem and not a problem with all broadcasters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There's a simple solution to this. Give it back to the BBC where it belongs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Yeah this happened here alright on ITV. It came back before the goal was scored and I got to see it(unfortunatly) But it was most annoying to happen during the most exciting period of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I switched to Setanta and within 2 seconds the ball was in the back of the net. Almost missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Tusky wrote: »
    I switched to Setanta and within 2 seconds the ball was in the back of the net. Almost missed it.

Heh, me too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All ITV is good for is Holly Willoughby's boobs

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »

I did the same thing except i missed the goal. First thing i saw was the Everton players rolling on the ground, celebrating. I remember thinking at the time "Hmmm, this can't be a good sign"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

monkey9 wrote: »
    There's a simple solution to this. Give it back to the BBC where it belongs

It wasn't taken from them though, they lost it.

I saw the goal as the glitch happened before the goal on mine, i was watching on Utv though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I saw the goal. Would have preferred the ads :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wish I was waching it on ITV, but that commentator there (Can't recall his name at the mo) tilts me so bad.

5starpool wrote: »
    I wish I was waching it on ITV, but that commentator there (Can't recall his name at the mo) tilts me so bad.

Ah yes, that would be the Man U supporting Clive 'that balmy night in Barcelona' Tyldsley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jim Beglin would have been the ITV commentator that annoyed me last night.

Advertisement