Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So-called Vodafone broadband

Options
  • 05-02-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Is there anyone else out there who is having problems with the so-called Vodafone mobile broadband? I have an apple macbook pro and I am using is a HUAWEI E220 USD modem. I am basically city centre and the service I am getting is nowhere near the "Up to 3.6mb" the say you can get. I am lucky if i can reach 10% of this. I have heard stories that the modem is not compatible with an apple, is there anyone else out there who can verify this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I M Wright wrote: »
    Is there anyone else out there who is having problems with the so-called Vodafone mobile broadband? I have an apple macbook pro and I am using is a HUAWEI E220 USD modem. I am basically city centre and the service I am getting is nowhere near the "Up to 3.6mb" the say you can get. I am lucky if i can reach 10% of this. I have heard stories that the modem is not compatible with an apple, is there anyone else out there who can verify this.

Its a contended service. You will only get the 3.6mb if you are right beside the transmitter and you are the only person on the mast. About 10 percent is average for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The modem should work fine with a mac, I've used Vodafone and Three's modems with mine. The three service was awful, mind.
    It's probably down to the coverage where you use the laptop most. I have a Dell Mini with a vodafone card built in, and we use vodafone in work for PDA systems, and i've found it to be fairly reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have one on the 3 network and sometimes you could mistake it for 56K, they are useless for streaming UTube, MP3's downloading etc. It will also cost you dearly if you exceed the cap. They are fine for brousing, emailing and using Boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

There have been a few signal problems with the E220, and with the newer E169 also, as far as I'm aware. When did you get it? If it's within 14 days, you should be able to return it under the no quibble policy and get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I have one on the 3 network and sometimes you could mistake it for 56K, they are useless for streaming UTube, MP3's downloading etc. It will also cost you dearly if you exceed the cap. They are fine for brousing, emailing and using Boards :)

Caps gone up to 15GB at no extra cost, you should be able to avail of that, it's open to new and existing customers....;)

what's the vodafone cap these days...:rolleyes:

OP your mac should have no problem with the modem...over subscription is your problem....are you still within your return period

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The issues with midband broadband are very well known, I suggest you take a look at the Midband sub-forum of the Broadband forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

have Vodafone broadband am in city centre kilmainham and its excellent.

Avoid 3 at all costs i signed up initially big mistake - nothing but heartache.

Advertisement