Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Dempsey - What A Hypocrit

Options
  • 06-02-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

wants 500,000 cars off the road by 2020, and has yet signed away 10% of dublin bus' fleet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Ya, and wants 150000 people to cycle and walk to work! Is he on planet cuckoo land! Does he even live in Ireland, its raining every other hour. The cycling paths and roadways are totally not up to spec for what he is looking for.
    But your right putting this forward on the back of reductions in the public transport budgets is mind boggling! Maybe if Dempsey gave up his Merc and used the bus himself he would learn something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Obviously he feels the country is so flush with money, it can manage without the revenue from all those vehicles and somehow magically find the money to provide alternative transport. Most people i know won't walk or cycle to work, they don't live close enough to their place of work.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and Brian Cowen has joined in on the act

on wednesday he was saying that stablising the economy was his priority and disagreed with eamonn gilmore's suggestion that we should focus on saving jobs

now today brian has come out saying for the next few years his focus will be jobs, jobs, jobs

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

wants 500,000 cars off the road by 2020, and has yet signed away 10% of dublin bus' fleet
    I'm open to correction, but I don't believe that was the minister's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don't think a link to government desire for a drop in car numbers and greater public transport use can be made, even if many more people actually used, or could use, the service.

The proposed drop in the number of private cars on the roads will probably happen regardless.
    Consider the number of foreign nationals who have gone or are going home, the number of job losses and associated company cars that will be gone, the number of families that had two jobs and two cars who will find their circumstances changing, the number of second, not to mention third level students who have cars courtesy of their parents etc

Whether or not he is a hypocrite, the numbers look to me like they're going to fall anyway. Now what would be hypocritical, is if the government claimed credit for that.
    Oh wait, maybe ineptitude is now grounds for a pat on the back...so maybe they will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

oscarBravo wrote: »

But we all know that if he wanted to keep those buses in the fleet, he'd find a way to make it happen. TDs make the 51a trundle all round the northside every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

just another case of making it up as they go along, this is all ideas, sop the the greens but nothing concrete, no hard facts, no definite deadlines, all suggestions, trying to pass them off as facts, this idea has being mooted in different ways for a while,

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

Every dept that Dempsey has been in he's made a b*lls of it. Education, Marine and now Transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Baybay wrote: »
    Oh wait, maybe ineptitude is now grounds for a pat on the back...so maybe they will!

You mean you didn't know that, where have you been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

murfie wrote: »
    Ya, and wants 150000 people to cycle and walk to work!

I would happily cycle to work. Oh hang on... I don't have a job anymore. Damn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Dempsey is a tired free loader just waiting to retire on his many pensions. He has no grasp on his brief or reality . It was quite clear he had not read his statement before some civil servant handed it to him and he looked as much an incompetent as the green snots Ryan beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I don`t feel as if I`m "correcting" your beliefs OscarBravo,but that is exactly the line this MInister wants to peddle,and is certainly facilitated in so doing by a remarkably docile RTE.

Noel Dempsey has been remarkably reticent about the role he,as Minister for Transport and SOLE shareholder in Bus Atha Cliath,has had in the companys current malaise.

It`s not perhaps generally known but when Bus Atha Cliath initially sought Departmental Sanction through it`s parent CIE Board the Department of Transport first sought a full business plan to back up the company`s request for EXTRA resources.

Remember the process of accquiring 100 EXTRA buses is not simply as easy as rambling into your local Volvo Main Dealer and sipping their cappuccino whilst leafing through a colour chart.

The entire processs had to go through the EU approved public open tender process complete with it`s own attendant hoops.

Then as quite obviously 100 EXTRA vehicles will have a EXTRA requirement in terms of Fuel,Lubricant and the other associated consumables as well as the Depot support staff to service and clean these revenue earning assets.

My Point to OscarBravo and the world at large is that the Minister for Transport and his Departmental General Secretary would have been fully aware AT ALL TIMES of Bus Atha Cliath`s PLANS for the extra resources.

This fact when added to his Departments responsibility for the serious delays in issuing Route Approvals for the deployment of the Buses and Drivers leaves Minister Dempsey as the Key Player in what has been an appallingly mishandled Public Transport mess.

The MInisters complaints on RTE News at One that Bus Atha Cliath needed to have buses serving where the people actually lived convieniently omitted to mention that He totally controls the issue of the relevant Route Approvals to Bus Atha Cliath.

In fact,under the 1932 Road Transport Act,The MInister may,at his discretion,direct the company to provide such services as he (The MInister) may deem necessary,using vehicles,routes and charging such fares as may be set by the MInister from time to time.

Minister Dempsey and some highly placed Civil Servants have very nimbly managed to distance themselves from Bus Atha Cliath`s enforced contraction.

If this so called "Plan" goes through Dublin will be back to a 1970`s year zero in public bus transport terms.

Appearing on national prime-time media and coming out with largely unquestioned nonsense about viable alternatives to private car useage whilst not being questioned about the rather obvious Fiscal benefits to the State from INCREASED car useage leaves me wondering where Mr Dempsey`s real priorities lie.

I believe a very strong public rejection of the Bus Atha Cliath service reductions would be a good start,something which I feel would benefit ALL those who provide and use the Public Bus Service......INCLUDING privately operated licenced services.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well it is probably the only thing this government will achieve.
    With the way jobs are disappearing and the few that are working taking pay cuts, then there will not be numbers driving to work nevermind driving anywhere else.
    Fair dues the government must have a grand plan afterall. :rolleyes:

Dempsey is a muppet, anybody remember the well planned and implemented L Driver debacle ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

This will be achieved without any government initiative it looks like. The price of taking the bus has gone up and social welfare offices are usually within cycling distances anyway. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

wasnt even their idea

http://www.dft.gov.uk/about/strategy...ranssystem.pdf

bunch of useless fcuking c*nts

and that prat eamon ryan talking about how we can all wave to each other as we jaunt down leeson street on our push bikes - you fcuking w@nker .

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

DaDumTish wrote: »

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I know it's popular to bash the government atm but there is no point planning for 2020 if we go under in 2010! Current spending needs to be cut in the short-term in order to be around for the long-term. It's also true that dublin bus flood some routes with more buses than needed to drive out the private competition. So if that is where the cuts are been made, all well and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DaDumTish wrote: »

and that prat eamon ryan talking about how we can all wave to each other as we jaunt down leeson street on our push bikes - you fcuking w@nker .

Tone it down if you want to post here. No need for all the swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thiink there should be vrt on bikes just to round off this brilliant piece of joined up thinking by our gov. maybe should be emissions based, breakfast roll thats 36% please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

murfie wrote: »
    Ya, and wants 150000 people to cycle and walk to work! Is he on planet cuckoo land! Does he even live in Ireland, its raining every other hour. The cycling paths and roadways are totally not up to spec for what he is looking for.
    But your right putting this forward on the back of reductions in the public transport budgets is mind boggling! Maybe if Dempsey gave up his Merc and used the bus himself he would learn something!!

Cycling in this country is putting your life in danger. There are several accidents on the road in the last few months. The Roads are more dangerous today for cyclist that they were 20 years ago when I cycled to school. Even walking on Country roads has gotten more dangerous. Last November A Cyclist in Limerick Regional was taken of his bike and his arm was broken in several places with the windscreen mirror. The car that hit him was overtaking another car at speed. The cyclist was luckly not to be hit.
    If The Minister wants more people cycling, then he must enforce council to create cycle lanes and put cyclist on top of the Right of way, for example gives the cyclist right of way if they cross the road then the car/truck etc must stop. Penalty points and fines, etc must be put on motorist for hitting or knocking down cyclist. It should be considered an accident and reported as such.

For those who hate cyclist, the same Rules of the road apply to cyclist and they can get there Driving licence endorsed for breaking rules of the roads.

When I was in Grenoble, France, they were plenty of cycle lanes and plenty of people cycling and you had to stop and give way to Cyclist on the road when the cycle lanes cross the road.
    All set of road transport moved a hell allot better there than here, especially at Traffic lights, where everybody seem to moved at the same time when the light go green. It was a pleasure to Drive there where there was very little lazy driving nor frustration compare to here where you can have time to have a nap between the lights go green and for the four cars move in front of you.

Limerick city council rejected proposed bus lanes within the city earlier last year so the government have alot of work to do, even though Limerick County Council have put in bus lanes up to the city limits for the last year and had put in the plan for the Coonagh road bus lane before the handover of Coonagh/Catherdavin to the city.

I gave up on the Limerick City bus especially since they run poorly in the evening. There were several times I had to wait upto an hour for a bus from Raheen, and when they do arrive you get two or three with the same bus route number and that when there is very little traffic in the evening between 7:30pm and 10pm. The Government have alot of work to do to get public service transport upto scratch. And now Bus eireen are cutting busses

Tracking of buses on the Internet would help users to decide if the bus is available for use as done so in trials in Swindon England. People lives are getting very busy these days so having to wait for busses or worry if parked bikes are still untouched by vandals is something the government need to keep in mind.
    Until the government put in better enforcement, cycle lanes, bike racks for parking etc in first otherwise their policy will goes into the bin and their announcement on the 5th February is just s Political PR stunt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement