Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive through off licence?

• 06-02-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi just a quick question.
    Anyone thats been to Aus will have visited a drive through bottle shop. Just wondering are there any in Ireland ? If not why leagal issues?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's not many drive through anything in Ireland.
    I wouldn't say there's any legal reason why not. It just doesn't make much sense. Is it really that hard to walk out of your car?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

When Irish people want to buy a large quantity of a particular drink, they go to a supermarket.

Mixed trade is a much newer thing in Australia, so I'd say drive-through bottle shops come from a time when bottle shops were the only places you could buy drink.

Given the stick that petrol station off licences have been getting from the VFI/LVA Enforcement Squad that passes for a government in this country, I'd say drive-through offies are a fairly remote possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yeah they've got one drive through one here as well but the same off licence also do free delivery for anything over a certain price (certain price is actually lower than a box of beer) so I know which option ill be picking (Yes, I am lazy)

c - 13 wrote: »
    the same off licence also do free delivery for anything over a certain price
    If it's cash-on-delivery, that would be illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

No its done via an online shop and charged via credit card. Then you get a call to organise delivery, same day delivery if you place the order before midday.

• Advertisement

Oh right. Tesco do more or less the same thing here.

BeerNut wrote: »
    If it's cash-on-delivery, that would be illegal in Ireland.

Really?
    Why's that?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Really?
    Why's that?
    To sell booze you need a licence. The licence states the address where the booze may be purchased. If the commercial transaction happens elsewhere, then it's not covered by that licence and is therefore illegal. The purchaser does not need to be present on the site, but the person running the transaction, processing a credit card for instance, must be.

Could they not run it through the tills in the off licence, when they recieve the order, and then head out and collect the money, as they're delivering it?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Could they not run it through the tills in the off licence, when they recieve the order, and then head out and collect the money, as they're delivering it?
    Nope. Collecting the money is the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

well how do d pizza places get away with it. isnt it d same thing as its cod??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

pizza places sell pizzas not booze

but its the same principle. they should need a licence to sell food too and that should state the same. no??

its an alcohol licence that's the issue not COD

no afraid your missing the issue I raised. I wanted to find out what the difference is between accepting a tenner at a doorstep for a few cans as aposed to a pizza. should the pizza transaction not be forced to be done at the resturant/ pizza shop

no its the alcohol licence that makes it illegal, the beernut outlined why. there probably shouldnt be anything differerence between the two but the licence makes them different. to buy pizza you can pay for it COD because pizza is not alcohol, but presumbly you cant buy beer and pizza and beer together and pay COD

fair enough. van' see why there should be one rule for some and another for others. know its beer but still

Very true but last time I checked I could also buy pizza after 10pm and eat it at home

And you weren't paying excise duty as well as VAT on it. And you didn't have to be 18 to buy it.

The number of ways in which beer is legally different from a pizza just go on and on. At least until the Pizza Licensing Act comes into force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

.........At least until the Pizza Licensing Act comes into force.

:LMAO :pac::D:):pac::):pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The number of ways in which beer is legally different from a pizza just go on and on. At least until the Pizza Licensing Act comes into force.

Yea with that news law you wont be able to have one slice of pizza and drive home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I know of one pizza place which is next door to an offie - they'll go in and get some beers for you and deliver with the pizza. Obviously I'm not going to name them here, but it works well for all parties involved, especially if there's a party :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

At least until the Pizza Licensing Act comes into force.
    It might not be far off! no pizza after 10pm since it makes you fat, the main reason for the liquor laws is meant to be health related.

See what is happening in the UK?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481177

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes: The Daily Mail is making stuff up again. Not exactly news, though, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    It might not be far off! no pizza after 10pm since it makes you fat,

I though that its was a myth that eating late a weight gain where correlated?

But then again seen to be doing something and have a real effect are all the over to our gracious leaders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I tend to have a slice of pizza in the evening during the week, sometimes I'll chance a second slice.
    Come Saturday night though, I'll eat about five pizzas in one sitting. Usually off to a club then, and I'll knock back a few bruschettas. And now the Govt. are trying to tell me that I have a problem! Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There is a delivery company in Galway that has about 15 different menus from Chinese, pizza places, take aways etc.. where you can order food but also has a menu from a off-licence where you can order drink or cigs. Unless the garda are just turning a blind eye but this company has been doing this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

My local offlicence delivers, has done for years.

It happens all right. It's just totally balls-out illegal, is all.
    dial-a-can is already illegal. In its report the group suggested that there should be enforcement of the existing provisions. It did not recommend any legislative change. The Garda was represented at chief superintendent level and the group recommended that the Garda target dial-a-can and similar services with a view to prosecuting the offending licensees. I would expect that the Garda would target those services. While my advice is that it is already illegal and needs no further legislative change
    -- Dermot Ahern, Dáil Éireann, 8th July 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Thats gas. They deliver glossy printed flyers all over the area and have huge banners advertising the service on the railings of the pub. So its not exactly clandestine.

Advertisement