Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED 14 AGP GFX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Forget about the 7300..it's little better than integrated graphics.
    Both the X1650pro and the 6800 would do however the 6800GT would be a better card.
    Best thing is to buy one and test your fps on CS and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mmm i dont know about that, our stock dell had a 7300LE in it and that ran css over 100 frames, a GT should piss 1.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭dylanpp

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card,1718-6.html

i'll buy 1 of each 6800GT and x1650pro and test em. found the above chart type thing. is it accurate? im not sure which cards are AGP or not etc

thanks mathew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The X1650Pro wouldn't be that much faster then the 6600GT. You'd want to be looking at the X1650XT for it to be worthwhile.

AGP cards are really expensive and basically you're not going to get a decent AGP card for that money new. You'd want to be looking at 6800GT/7600GT class cards minimum to make it worthwhile, I recommend Ebay.
    Forget about the 7300..it's little better than integrated graphics.

I wouldn't say that. 7300LE maybe, the 7300GT was an awesome card in its day and a DDR3 model is close to the 7600GT, definitely better then a 6600GT - though still not worth upgrading to really.

how about 7600GS? i have just got 1 of these? was it a waste? i also got 1 6800GT but am being told it doesnt work! ebay seems so dodgy with gfx cards

• Advertisement

It's a bit better but to be honest the difference isn't worth it. Unless you got the 7600GS for something like 10 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

To run the Original Half life engine? Integrated graphics and a custom config could do it at 100fps easy.

To run the Original Half life engine? Integrated graphics and a custom config could do it at 100fps easy.

I think he's talking about 100fps constant even with several smokes. Which yeah, has been known to falter some cards, even of the 6600GT class cards. But I mean we're talking a drop from 100 to maybe 80 or at worst 60fps with quite a few smokes, 90% of the time 100fps would be perfectly achievable. These guys would have to be world class players though for it to make that much of a difference...

you have it exactly terrorfirmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

World Class Players

and they're on a Budget...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think he's talking about 100fps constant even with several smokes. Which yeah, has been known to falter some cards, even of the 6600GT class cards. But I mean we're talking a drop from 100 to maybe 80 or at worst 60fps with quite a few smokes, 90% of the time 100fps would be perfectly achievable. These guys would have to be world class players though for it to make that much of a difference...

I'm pretty sure the cpu plays way more of a role in both Half life engines then the choice of gfx card.

I think cards though use a certain method of rendering the smoke that can kill GPU's. I'm not fully sure as I've never really been into CS, but just recalling reading about it before. I could be 100% wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Just wondering how does 100fps translate to a 60hz monitor? Or are they using 100hz.

Or am I missing something:confused:

edit : did a search, LCD's don't have a refresh rate.. interesting. But still if you are using a CRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=378202

that would do for decent fps in cs 1.6

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=378202

that would do for decent fps in cs 1.6
    Please note I can only really afford 40 pounds sterling per card.

Advertisement