Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a phone from GSM 850/1900 to GSM 900/1800

• 06-02-2009 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have a Nokia 1100b and I would like to get it converted so that it works on the Irish GSM system. I know that it can be done because I found this link.

http://www.nokia-tuning.net/index.php?s=convert1100

I am not very technically minded and I was wondering if someone here could do the conversion for me, or maybe reccommend a service.

Regards,

sengoku

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Let me be the first to ask why or is this an "in-joke" for someone in telecoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

sengoku wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I have a Nokia 1100b and I would like to get it converted so that it works on the Irish GSM system. I know that it can be done because I found this link.

http://www.nokia-tuning.net/index.php?s=convert1100

I am not very technically minded and I was wondering if someone here could do the conversion for me, or maybe reccommend a service.

Regards,

sengoku
    Yes, it is possible. But why?, it would be cheaper to just buy a standard Nokia 1100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

@ jimmycrackcorm - I'm not joking. Reason : see bolow.

@ Columba Rad - I got the phone while I was in the USA. It was cheap and suited me because I like "simple" mobile phones. There is absolutly no confusion with this phone, it makes calls and it can text. No camera, no bluetooth, no mp3, no video, not even a colour screen! I am very fond of this phone for its simplicity. Now that I'm back in Ireland, I thought I could use it again, I was wrong.

So at thee moment it is doing nothing and it's worthless to me unless I can get it working on the GSM 900/1800 system. I would try the conversion myself, I have nothing to lose, but, I need flashing? equipment and filters?. I might just buy one off e-bay. Your were right Columba Rad, they are cheap, but I can't find one that works on the GSM 900/1800 system.

-Thanks guys!

-Oh, I told a little lie, that phone has an extra. A torch. It is the best "extra feature" I have seen on a phone. It beats stupid f@#king ringtones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

sengoku wrote: »
    I might just buy one off e-bay. Your were right Columba Rad, they are cheap, but I can't find one that works on the GSM 900/1800 system.
    http://phones.shop.ebay.ie/items/Mobile-Phones__nokia-1100_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ3312QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

Or try a Nokia 1200/1208. Similar spec and easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

@ Columba Rad - I was searching ebay.com instead ebay.ie, my mistake Thanks again for your help.

@ paul.irl - Thanks for suggesting an alternative phone, but I think I'll stick with the 1100 because I've got a fondness for it (and it has a torch).

I was looking into the conversion thing a bit more and I think you can get filters from an old phone. I have an old Nokia lying about here somewhere, I could probably get them from that. As for the flashing part, I'm still working on that.

Can anyone shed some light on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

Both my suggestions have flash lamps too :)

Have a Nokia 1200 for my second sim card and it is a great little phone, even if it is mnade of plastic :)

Advertisement