Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive/General Memory question

• 06-02-2009 7:04am

Hey all,

I bought the 360 Arcade console a few months back. Got Live, played online, not too shabby. Just got one months worth, see if i like it. Its not bad.

I use a memory card that came with the console (256mb), had never got any intention of buying a Hard drive. I use the console to play GTA IV every day or two for an hour or so. Running around randomly. Never planning on progressing any further in the game, and no intention of buying any other games anytime soon (Not a big gamer).

Anyway, An update came onto the console the other day, and there's not enough space on the card to accept it. Because of this, it won't let me play online. Bastards nailed me.

So I'm just wondering what the best thing to do here is?

I was gonna buy a hard drive earlier, but thought i'd just post here first. Something i was wondering is, instead of buying a hard drive, can i use a memory stick to accept the update (and future updates)?

Or does it absolutely have to be an official 360 Hard Drive?

If going for an official Hard Drive is the only way out, does anyone know what the smallest/cheapest one is? (I wouldn't mind spending a lot of money if it was something i'd use a lot, but i know i'll barely even use it, so im not planning on spending much)

Can I get another memory card and use that?

Haven't really kept up to date with consoles in general, so don't know much about how this kinda stuff works. If i were to buy another card (which im assuming is the cheapest option), would the 360 read both of them simoultaneously, or would it read my profile from the first memory card, and still not accept the update, as the first card hasn't enough space, despite a second card being available?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

Also, just one more question:

Is it worh getting a headset for LIVE? Friends have advised me to pick one up, but i'd feel like a real tool sitting with a headset on :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

M$ were offering a HDD upgrade there a while ago for arcade owners. i think once you were registered you could get the larger memory unit for free or a 20gb hdd for about €12 or so. it may have been a limited offer though, may be worth looking up

alas here's a link, it appears my figures were slightly off
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17841/Xbox-360-Memory-Upgrade-Program/

after a little further investigation it appears that it was a limited offer and it has finished. i think buying a 512mb memory unit is going to be your cheapest solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Buy a 20GB hard drive 2nd hand. They go for around 20-25 euro (I got mine for 20), well worth it to be honest considering what you'd pay for a mere 0.5Gb - about 15-16 euro new.

Buy a 20GB hard drive 2nd hand. They go for around 20-25 euro (I got mine for 20), well worth it to be honest considering what you'd pay for a mere 0.5Gb - about 15-16 euro new.

Where would i go about acquiring one second hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

adverts.ie :)

Mooched around adverts, and couldn't really find much. :(

A friend of mine is also looking to get some extra memory (he's in the exact same boat as me).

So i checked eBay and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/20Gb-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-HDD-FOR-MICROSOFT-XBOX-360_W0QQitemZ150325382887QQihZ005QQcategoryZ139969QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The guy reckons it'll work on all Xbox consoles worldwide.

I was gonna put this in the online buying forum, but i thought i'd probably be better off adding it to this thread, as you guys will probably be more useful..

So my new question is..

Is that seller Direct.Mart OK to deal with?

I ask because i used to be really big into wrestling figures, and there was a "Hong Kong" ebayer called Live.Mart who worked in a JAKKS factory in China (jakks = guys who make WWE Figures). He would sell tonnes of figures on his ebay account, but they were all dodgy figures that never made it out of the factory. Although i never bought from him, i wouldnt mind buying a dodgy piece of plastic, but an eletronic item such as a hard drive, i wouldn't pick up.

So im just wondering if anyone here has used him? His feedback is pretty good.

Thanks again to anyone able to help out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement