Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powering a 12v turntable

• 06-02-2009 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey all,

Just a quick question. I've done some googling and can't find an answer.
    I have a turntable that used to power from an amp via a 12v cable that went into the back of the amp. The amp has now died and I want to power the turntable by itself. So what I need is something that takes in a 12v cable and powers it.

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Basically a 12v power supply . You need to check the current consumption & get a power supply with a higher rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The-Baron

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that the turntable plugs into a power supply rather than a power supply plugging into the back of it, or is that a problem?

Also I've done some googling on a 12v power supply and all I seem to get is power supplies for car adaptors, do you know anywhere off hand that might supply stuff like this, would a general electrical store do?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The-Baron wrote: »
    The problem is that the turntable plugs into a power supply rather than a power supply plugging into the back of it, or is that a problem?
    Might require a bit of work making up cables
    do you know anywhere off hand that might supply stuff like this
    I'd say Maplin's would be your best bet.
    They have shops in Blanchardstown & Off Parnell Street.
    You could bring the unit into them , they are very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

take a picture of the connection at both end the cable and devices. Post it here and we might be able to recommend a handy way of doing it.

You'll also need to find out the current draw of the turn table, so a suitable power supply can be source, as pointed out above.

take a picture of the connection at both end the cable and devices. Post it here and we might be able to recommend a handy way of doing it.

You'll also need to find out the current draw of the turn table, so a suitable power supply can be source, as pointed out above.

Cool I will post as soon as I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

pc world have a multi adaptor wth a variable voltage control mite do the trick

Hey
    A photo of the cable coming from the turntable is attached.

Edward, the multi-adaptor would that take in a power cable?

Dublin Dilbert, how exactly would I discover the draw, all I see on the back is a 12V DC in and a list of compatible panasonic amps.

Hey
    A photo of the cable coming from the turntable is attached.
    It would be very easy to get an adapter to connect that jack plug to a power supply's cable

how exactly would I discover the draw, all I see on the back is a 12V DC in and a list of compatible panasonic amps.
    Do you have a manual for it? It would be listed in the specs.
    On the existing power supply is there any rating marked on it.

yea just go into wot every store near and ask to see one it called a power adaptor

yea just go into wot every store near and ask to see one it called a power adaptor

You cant get a power adapter untill your sure of the power consumption

• Advertisement

near where its says 12V on the input, does it have a figure in mA also (eg 150mA) ??

The other wee thing to be careful of here is the polarity (which terminal is plus and minus). See the attached site http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Reference/polarity.htm

If you can't find the current draw, atleast buy a 12V regulated 1A or 1.5A universal power supply, this should protect the PSU anyway. Maplin would be a good place to get one.

koolkid wrote: »
    You cant get a power adapter untill your sure of the power consumption

you have choice of voltages with this adapter from 9voths to 24volts

you have choice of voltages with this adapter from 9voths to 24volts

Its not the voltage koolkit was worried about, it was the amount of current that the device will draw from the power supply. The power supply must be "beafy" enough to supply the required current, @ the give voltage.

Also just becarefull of going for an unregulated power supply, as the voltage out will varry widely with load current. IE when set to 12V could be giving out 16V when the current out is small.... Some devices can deal with this, other's cant. Hence in my above post I said try get a regulated one if you can.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the draw from the turntable.

Then all I need is a 12v power supply and an adaptor to hook the power to the jack?

I'll have a look and see if I can find the draw from the turntable.

Then all I need is a 12v power supply and an adaptor to hook the power to the jack?

Yep, thats pretty much it... although see my note above about the polarity of the adapter, we may need to figure out what polarity the turn table is...

Hmm, when I get my hands on the turntable and the amp, I'll pull all the info I can from them and see what the story is.

Gaurentee you if bring both to Maplins they will sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Is there a pre-amp in the turntable?

Sorry to complicate matters, but if the plug in supply isn't up to scratch, your vinyl will be plagued with hum etc.

So make sure it's a good quality product.

Your other option, is of course to sort the amp out.

Is there a pre-amp in the turntable?

Sorry to complicate matters, but if the plug in supply isn't up to scratch, your vinyl will be plagued with hum etc.

So make sure it's a good quality product.

Your other option, is of course to sort the amp out.

Hmm, good point. I'd actually rather not use the amp(even if did work) so I'll attempt to get a decent power supply and trial it from there. If not I'll probably scrap the whole idea and go for a new turntable/amp setup. I will in time, this is mostly a temporary fix. :D

The amp itself has an a/c 220 volts ~ supply 50/60Hz with 250 watts. It's giving me nothing more than the 12v D/C that it's outputting to the turntable.

So does the above help in specifying the type of adaptor/power supply required?

• Advertisement

Anyone have an idea??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok, so the amp uses a max of 250W at 220V

if thats the case it only uses approx 1 Amp at 220V.

Do you need to identify the 12 Line to the turntable, i.e is there a flex lead with power and controls?

The turntable will only need two cables. with a dc volt meter you could identify the 12v supply from the cable leading to the turntable.

I dont think these turntabels use much power.

I have a 220V power measuring device, you could see what the amp is using WRT the amp and the turntable.

I also have couple of spare 12Vdc supplies in the house with a range of outputs.

If you are in Dublin you are welcome to one of them and to borrow the power meter.

the best option would be to e mail panasonic and ask them what the turntable uses powerwise.

Advertisement