Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hypothetical Question

• 06-02-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Lets say christianity didnt take off 2000 yrs, would we all still be worshipping pagan gods and doing sacrifices and that pre-christ stuff or would another religion have taken over like islam or something else maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Lets say christianity didnt take off 2000 yrs, would we all still be worshipping pagan gods and doing sacrifices and that pre-christ stuff or would another religion have taken over like islam or something else maybe?

It would be incredibly difficult to try to determine history over such a large amount of time with the removal of such a pivotal influence.

I'll just wait for some muppet to say something about how science would be much further advanced without Christianity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Not even going to go near that.

God decreed else...

Nice one Hurin:)

Húrin wrote: »
    It would be incredibly difficult to try to determine history over such a large amount of time with the removal of such a pivotal influence.

I'll just wait for some muppet to say something about how science would be much further advanced without Christianity.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's much of a muchness really, i doubt things would be much different. Christianity after all did take most of it's doctrine from older religions, it's no coincidence all the christian holidays fall at the same time as their pagan counterparts and Jesus is basically just a plagarism of the egytian god Horus and the indian god krishna not to mention buddha and countless other deities. The question you need to ask is how would society have faired if there was no religion at all? It's impossible to answer as religion is a fundamental part of our existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's much of a muchness really, i doubt things would be much different. Christianity after all did take most of it's doctrine from older religions, it's no coincidence all the christian holidays fall at the same time as their pagan counterparts and Jesus is basically just a plagarism of the egytian god Horus and the indian god krishna not to mention buddha and countless other deities. The question you need to ask is how would society have faired if there was no religion at all? It's impossible to answer as religion is a fundamental part of our existence.

Care to provide evidence or your claims?

Oh dear, and the pandora's box is opened. Careful of thread derailing, Mr Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I reckon we should have either a sticky, or a charter rule for this Horus rubbish. How many times is this stuff brought up, and brought up. Always in the same vain too, like its authoritive. Its always someone speaking like they were at the meeting! 'Yeah jesus is actually just a plagerism of yadda yadda yadda' etc. Is it just me, or is it getting tiresome?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

muppet2.gif

JimiTime wrote: »
    I reckon we should have either a sticky, or a charter rule for this Horus rubbish. How many times is this stuff brought up, and brought up. Always in the same vain too, like its authoritive. Its always someone speaking like they were at the meeting! 'Yeah jesus is actually just a plagerism of yadda yadda yadda' etc. Is it just me, or is it getting tiresome?

It's not just you! I intended that my first act as mod was to create a sticky about how many times this crap has been brought up before. Happily Zeitgeist - The Movie isn't as popular as it once was and I don't feel a sticky is justified any longer. Still, that doesn't stop people trotting out the same old old canards from time to time.

'It's on the internet, so it must be true!'

As for the actual thread topic - such a question would be impossible to answer. It can be fun to read those part fiction, part history 'What if...' books, but it's all guess work. And unless we build a time machine it will remain as such.

I would imagine that most Christians would give the reply that a world without Christianity would never have been possible because it would be opposed to God's will.

Dades wrote: »
    muppet2.gif

loldongs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I reckon we'd have a lot more Jews and eh obviously no Christians...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Sigh:)

Sometimes a verse from "Alice" comes to mind.. (re the sneezing) "They only do it to annoy, because they know it teases."

Blessings and peace
    Oh dear, and the pandora's box is opened. Careful of thread derailing, Mr Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'll just wait for some muppet to say something about how science would be much further advanced without Christianity. __________________

A reading from the Gospel of Dawkins:
    And Richard, the anointed Omniscientist did say unto them " verily I say unto thee that is is the will of the Father Darwin that you evolve into better humans, not to evolve is the ultimate sin, denying the Darwins spirit which i will send on my passing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Care to provide evidence for your claims?

lol - says the mod of the Christianity forum. More Irony~ I love it....

OK Big Wave, I can see you are really here to generate heat, not light. This is your very last warning. Next time you are gone.

Phototoxin wrote: »
    A reading from the Gospel of Dawkins:

haha, you win the thread

Advertisement