Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Docklands" WTF??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Maybe telling someone your lucky your not being fecked out to finglas seems like a joke to yourself, but the way I see it is that firstly your putting down the good people of finglas (which has a great community) and secondly you are implying we should be glad we are allowed stay living in our own houses in our own community.......

Wow man, chill out. I am not putting anyone down. I was merely stating it could be worse just to lighten up the thread a little. It was a joke theres nothing wrong with Finglas...seriously :rolleyes:
    I will say this again, I am all for the development of the docklands (which is a big place) and while everyone would probably prefer houses over apartments I know that dublin needs/needed as much housing as possible, but if you know the area and whats happening at the moment, empty unsold highrise apartment blocks will do nothing for any area, and I do hope they sell....

I remain positive that they will. It may take a few more years for the country to get back on it's feet.
    I am not angry at any developments, I just pointed out facts, like the fact most of these development had "special" planning permissions which one of the clauses was 20% local employment (never happened, even after picketing the DDDA offices and some sites) plus another thing is the 20% social and affordable housing, while thats another "clause" in the planning, I have went to the fancy presentations for these apartment sales and asked would there be social and affordable housing in the developments (posing as a buyer) and I was told NO, and then I go to a DDDA meeting and hear them tell us we will have lovely apartments and it will be total intergration of private and social.. I could go on,

I hope you keep up the good fight.
    so if you think I am irate, angry or whatever about whats happening as oppose to what was supposed to happen, thats your view and your entitled to it but I know whats going on and if pointing that out makes me angry, irrate, would you prefer I just shut up and agree with everything??

Do I have to state it again? I have said it twice already now in this thread. It is good that you are taking it out with the DDDA about what was promised. I think you are being a bit belligerant to everyone on this thread who are agreeing with you on that issue. I was only saying you seemed to be angry at the developments in general, it seems that you are not even happy with the NPAS even though it was built over a stagnant warehouse. You haven't even gone near the bar even though there was an offer extended to you on this thread to show you around. So much for your 'community spirit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

I cycle past the apartments everyday. I take this route because there is no traffic or people, just the odd HGV.
    Not full of knacks, just not full of anything.
    Unfortunately, the area didn't complete in time before the boom ended. The apartments are prob fine but these incomplete areas are to be avoided as they will have no services and be a building site for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Degsy wrote: »
    More of what in finglas?

did you even try to think about this before posting?

More social issues is what i posted - and thats what i meant . What the flip did you think i meant? have you read the thread at all? Its not a crime to say that finglas is a tough area you know.

Pardon me i'm just going to check on my suit..:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

More social issues is what i posted - and thats what i meant . What the flip did you think i meant? have you read the thread at all? Its not a crime to say that finglas is a tough area you know.

Are you from finglas?
    i assume you must live there at the very least to be an expert on its "social issues"...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

How has finglas been dragged into a docklands thread?

have you ever been to finglas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cos there are all sorts of prejudiced idiots who comfort themselves in thinking
    they live somewhere better then others and hug the idea that Finglas is a lower
    level of hell to themselves esp when they have no real experience of the place.

Unlike those who live there or have lived there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Thaedydal wrote: »

Ah that would explain it.
    It might be worth pointing out to certain people that any new housing developments in finglas sold on the first round.They didnt have to re-launch a load of poxy apartments at a 200 grand discount because nobody wanted to buy there.
    We dont have the piano bar in finglas,though so that would probably explain the widespread horror and lack of vibrancy.

Not really. I said it as an off the cuff remark in relation to the docklands and east wall residents not having their houses demolished and be shunted off further from the city -' like Finglas or somewhere', now everyone is getting defensive about Finglas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mingey wrote: »
    Not really. I said it as an off the cuff remark in relation to the docklands and east wall residents not having their houses demolished and be shunted off further from the city -' like Finglas or somewhere', now everyone is getting defensive about Finglas...

Actually historically that did happen in the very early 60s,( as any one who has read Brendan O'Carroll's The Mammy will recall the telling of it in that). When the old tenements were demolished people were moved from them to the brand new one family per house developments in Finglas.

You made a smart arsed disparaging remark about an area of the city
    and assumed no one would pull you up on it or disagree.

Tough. Why was Limerick to far of a stretch for you ? :rolleyes:
    Ah that would explain it.
    It might be worth pointing out to certain people that any new housing developments in finglas sold on the first round.They didnt have to re-launch a load of poxy apartments at a 200 grand discount because nobody wanted to buy there.
    We dont have the piano bar in finglas,though so that would probably explain the widespread horror and lack of vibrancy.

Yeah the lack of over price, gak tasting foamy coffee shops...

Actually historically that did happen in the very early 60s,( as any one who has read Brendan O'Carroll's The Mammy will recall the telling of it in that). When the old tenements were demolished people were moved from them to the brand new one family per house developments in Finglas.

I did read that book, thats probably why Finglas popped into my head. Although I wasn't comparing either E.W or Finglas with the tenaments of the 60's, just the fact that the government did this sort of thing before.
    You made a smart arsed disparaging remark about an area of the city
    and assumed no one would pull you up on it or disagree.

Tough. Why was Limerick to far of a stretch for you ? :rolleyes:

Where is it disparaging? I already said to Earthworm Jim he must have taken my post up wrongly. I mentioned Finglas or somewhere. Would it have been different if I said Clontarf or Fairview?

What has Limerick got to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Never been to Finglas but its known as a tough area in fairness, im not picking on Finglas just commenting that its ok to knock the 'suits' that move into an area like docklands yet ya cant say a word about a place like Finglas having a rough image - its rubbish PC gone crazy.

All areas have their bad eggs, its just some areas ones end up on the news I suppose.

Just off to shine my shoes for work to match me nice suit.:D

Just off to shine my shoes for work to match me nice suit.:D

Careful you don't get caught with an over priced foamy coffee in a piano bar with that suit, people might think you're looking down on them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kalky

Ya theres just more of them in Finglas than anywhere else so lets laugh about it eh? They are not lesser known facts at all, and for gods sake get over the map in the ad - its an ad!! Sales puff thats all.

On the IFSC etc. were a young country with a lot to learn. Things will get (can only get..) better.

edit --- PS well done on buying a house you're way ahead of everyone there.

I am doing reaserch in Maths/Finance at DCU and I ve just bought a house down there. With the Luas, City Centre a stones away, IFSC, the new Calatravas Bridge and new spencer dock development this area in the next 2 years will be top notch! A bargain now with the property market plummeting! (Well ask for 15-20% discount, say 1bed apt around 180)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The Docklands ain't all suits ya know :)

There are still flat complexes of working class docklands within spitting distance of the Liffey.

Point being, its a mixed social area which is a good thing. Too many hob-nobs get on my nerve :D

It was a lovely sunny day today down at the festival, yet another bonus to live down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I've just moved from Finglas to the "Docklands" - I hope I'm qualified to speak about both areas?!

:P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

Someone I know went by to see an apartment @ Canon Hall recently. I just read about the 8 storey social housing building coming up opposite that Earthworm Jim mentioned. Is that true? Also she's quite religious, was there really a graveyard on that site in the past?

Btw, the agent said the asking for 2 beds was 300,000, but that they'd let it go for 260,000, on checking daft.ie she saw the price is listed as 269,000. He did not mention the social housing plans for New Wapping street.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Any idea what the yearly maintenance costs would be on a place like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinBhoyJoe

I noticed a few ads in the Metro this morning for an "exciting new development in the heart of Dublin"
    Here's the blurb
    "Canon Hall is a striking new development comprising of only sixty one homes situated in a prime location on the corner of Sherriff Street and East Road in the heart of the Dublin Docklands, Dublin’s most vibrant city quarter. Canon Hall represents city living at its very best. The world renowned International Financial Services Centre is literally next door, as is O2 Arena where world class performers can be enjoyed on a weekly basis. Irelands first purpose built conference centre is currently under construction at Spencer Dock. The €400m Convention Centre is one of the finest landmark buildings ever planned for the capital city and is scheduled to open in September 2010. The building will extend to over 990,000 square feet with the Royal Canal linear park to the city side of the building. The Centre will include a 2,000-seat conference facility. Opposite this the Samuel Beckett Bridge is currently under construction. It will link the Northside and Southside of the city over the River Liffey in the Dublin Docklands. Construction commenced in May 2007 and will continue until the end of 2009. The Luas extension is well under way and will serve residents of Canon Hall providing easy access to the city centre."

Fair enough untill you see the accompanying maps.
    It lists the name of every street northside and southside within a mile of it but doesnt give the name of the street that its actually on ie Sherrif st.
    This is an attempt to decieve people who might not be from dublin into thinking there's an area actually called Docklands and its not,in fact on Sherrif St at all.
    It wouldnt be half as bad but these places arent cheap either,240 grand for a one bed apartment!

Even when the going is bad the property developers and estate agents are trying to pull a fast one.

Ah Sheriff St, I suppose if the IFSC the Fianna Fail Government and the Corpo had have got there way in the early 80s Sheriff St would have disappeared of the map and all the child eaten locals (as Mr Crosbie called us) would have been eaten our kids in tallaght and clondalkin, But thanks to a great politian called Tony Gregory RIP and others like Mick Rafferty and Christy Burke this did not happen, We are all still living here off this great street called Sheriff Street.

So if these rip off developers dont like the name Sheriff Street they should build there expensive card board boxes somewere else....

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I heard these weren't built as well as buildings that would be older. House of cards. Has anyone else heard this?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Indeed, most of the modern development in the Docklands have been built out of 2.5"x3.5" glossy paper pieces of about 1.6 grams per 'card'. Historically, city development moved from wood to cut stone and brick but as you have pointed out, the Docklands have gone down the laminated paper route. Whilst morter and render have been dispensed of completely in favour of 'balancing' these cards on top of each other in a strive for height over stability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rajatparihar

tintar wrote: »
    Someone I know went by to see an apartment @ Canon Hall recently. I just read about the 8 storey social housing building coming up opposite that Earthworm Jim mentioned. Is that true? Also she's quite religious, was there really a graveyard on that site in the past?

Btw, the agent said the asking for 2 beds was 300,000, but that they'd let it go for 260,000, on checking daft.ie she saw the price is listed as 269,000. He did not mention the social housing plans for New Wapping street.

Just bumping up this thread as this Canon Hall apartments are up in market again for 295k for 2bed
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/dublin-1/canon-hall-docklands-dublin-1-dublin-1542063/

I booked one of these and now I am thinking to back out after going through this thread about the area and all. I know all the replies and posts over here are decade old, when there was no luas, no Central bank building, etc. But now since everything is around the corner with Brexit on the edge, do you guys think 295k is a good value for a 2 bed apartment (circa 764sqft) in Canon Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

There is not much value about in the Property Market but you may have found some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

Just bumping up this thread as this Canon Hall apartments are up in market again for 295k for 2bed
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/dublin-1/canon-hall-docklands-dublin-1-dublin-1542063/

I booked one of these and now I am thinking to back out after going through this thread about the area and all. I know all the replies and posts over here are decade old, when there was no luas, no Central bank building, etc. But now since everything is around the corner with Brexit on the edge, do you guys think 295k is a good value for a 2 bed apartment (circa 764sqft) in Canon Hall?

Well i can tell you in Spencer Dock nearby a 2 bed of around the same size would be around the €330k to €350k mark.

ARe you young and without kids? If so i'd say go for it. You're on Sheriff Street, which has a reputation. But there will be a lot of gentrification over the next few years. There is planning permission for 360 apartments just across the road from there. And 420 apartments in City Block 9, as well as 200 apartments on the new Spencer Dock site. If you have kids right now though i wouldn't do it. That's my view.

Well i can tell you in Spencer Dock nearby a 2 bed of around the same size would be around the €330k to €350k mark.

ARe you young and without kids? If so i'd say go for it. You're on Sheriff Street, which has a reputation. But there will be a lot of gentrification over the next few years. There is planning permission for 360 apartments just across the road from there. And 420 apartments in City Block 9, as well as 200 apartments on the new Spencer Dock site. If you have kids right now though i wouldn't do it. That's my view.

Thanks a lot. Yea even I was thinking same that this area has lot of potential in upcoming year. I am 30 married and no kids. Both of us are expats and working in IT (city centre). 12 mins bike from Canon hall. With all that in mind, we are thinking to buy it short term (3-5 years) and save the sky rocket rent which is around 1.5k a month (per month loan repayments are just 1.1k). I did all the mathematics and even if it holds the current market value (295k) then in 5 years we can end up having around 20k on top of our 10% initial deposit.
    The reason why we are thinking short term (3-5 years) because we might go back to our country or may be not depends upon circumstances and work obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think that looks like a great deal. Wish I had my deposit ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was looking at Cannon Hall 1 bed phase 1 were being advertised as €190K back in Feb or March. However I could only get an 80% mortgage for a 1 bed and 90% for a two. Needed to save a bit for for the two.

I recently received an email saying phase 2 are now available and 1 beds are starting at €240 -€250 in Sept. So thats an €50k-€60k increase in 6 or 7 months.Two beds are between €285 and €385 .Its crazy we are back to silly times again. I feel like I am about a year too late saving for my deposit and have missed the train.

Not sure if I should buy outside of Dublin or just sit tight for another recession. My savings at the moment count for very little as house prices are rising many times faster than I can save.

I was looking at Cannon Hall 1 bed phase 1 were being advertised as €190K back in Feb or March. However I could only get an 80% mortgage for a 1 bed and 90% for a two. Needed to save a bit for for the two.

I recently received an email saying phase 2 are now available and 1 beds are starting at €240 -€250 in Sept. So thats an €50k-€60k increase in 6 or 7 months.Two beds are between €285 and €385 .Its crazy we are back to silly times again. I feel like I am about a year too late saving for my deposit and have missed the train.

Not sure if I should buy outside of Dublin or just sit tight for another recession. My savings at the moment count for very little as house prices are rising many times faster than I can save.

Keep on saving and you will surely get something better. What do you think 295k for a 2 bed is good value? How safe is this area to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

The Luas extension is well under way

which luas extension were they referring to ? The city centre is still a building site. Anyone remember that FF transport 21 document ? Even back then I found it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

The photos in the ad are misleading, as there seem to be two kitchens in the apartment. Maybe there’s a choice of open-plan or separate. If so I’d recommend going for a separate kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

which luas extension were they referring to ? The city centre is still a building site. Anyone remember that FF transport 21 document ? Even back then I found it hilarious.

The Point extension which has long since opened

Advertisement