Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CIS Journal

• 06-02-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

What is this CIS journal, alot of the projects we have planning in for are being named by builders sending me e-mails and calling. I dont have a problem with people looking for work but is there really a journal publishing names of projects and their agents before they even get planning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

It's a pain in the arse really! I just tell anyone who rings that, with the downturn i'm not going to look past the contractors that have provided a quality service to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

The CIS Journal/report gathers its information from the various planning authorities (for a fee I think) and builders/contractors/suppliers etc can subscribe to it.

And yes it does publish details before a decision is made on an application, so it can give its subscribers the best chance of getting on the tender list early.

There was a time when the CIS used to contact me here about projects looking for details, regarding tender dates/costs/consultants etc, however I haven't hear from them in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

It's a pain in the arse really! I just tell anyone who rings that, with the downturn i'm not going to look past the contractors that have provided a quality service to date.

And the amount of junk mail it generates , most of the mail we receive here now comprises of builders whom we never heard of and are located in the other end of the country looking to get onto tender lists of specific projects which they have seen in the CIS Report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

With the advent of online planning sites a lot of would be "spammers" now just trawl through the list themselves.

There was a time (still is I think) whereby the local council here sent copies of the weekly planning lists to individuals or firms for a fee but by and large the lists were only sent on a monthly basis. Modern technology has now partly eradicated the need for firms to subscribe to CIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Leitrim coco have a disclaimer on the front page of their application form with a tick box. Surely when I dont tick the box I shouldnt get the spam!

DATA PROTECTION
    The planning process is an open and public one. In that context, all planning applications and accompanying documentation, with the exception of certain contact details, are made available for public inspection/purchase and may be made available on the planning authority’s website where this is their policy. Planning Authorities also publish weekly lists of planning applications received as well as weekly lists of planning decisions in hard copy and, where this is their policy, on their website.
    It has come to our attention that the publication of Planning Applications by planning authorities can lead to applicants being targeted by persons in the business sector engaged in direct marketing. In response to a request from the Data Protection Commissioner, you are hereby given an opportunity to indicate a preference with regard to the receipt of direct marketing arising from the lodging of a planning application.

If you are satisfied to receive direct marketing please tick this box.
    Direct marketing may be by post, by telephone, by hand or by electronic mail such as email or text message where such details are supplied. It is the responsibility of those entities wishing to use the personal data on planning applications and decisions lists for direct marketing purposes to be satisfied that they may do so legitimately under the requirements of the Data Protection Acts 1988 & 2003 taking account of the preference outlined above. 04/02/08

• Advertisement
Advertisement