Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deli or caterer for meal for 10 adults?

Options
  • 06-02-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Rather than ask my family out for a meal in a restaurant for an upcoming ocassion, I'm hoping to have a meal at home. Recessionary times and all. There will be 10 adults and 4 children.

However I'm fecked if I'm spending the whole morning/day before cooking. I want something quick & easy, ready made.

I'm thinking along the lines of a big lasagne plus a big quiche and then some sides like salad/roast potatoes/garlic bread, that type of thing. Or a big curry or stew. I want 2 options if possible.

I know Goyas do quiche, anyone had them, would you recommend?

Where else could I try for the lasagna and side dishes? I would prefer these to be home made, or at least not laced with artificial stuff.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Those meals you've mentioned are some of the easiest to make. If it's a stew you could even make it the day before and it'll taste even better.

I'd price doing it yourself if there's not much difference in the price go for take out. If there's a massive difference, considering the meals are fairly straight forward to make you should give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Hi,

I just wont have the time to make it myself, I'm away all the week before & only just getting back the night before. The idea was to avoid any stress of cooking & just collect it & eat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You could do one dish yourself and maybe "buy in" another.

A simple chicken casserole could be done in 15 minutes. By that, I mean you'll have everything chopped and into the pot in that time. The oven does the rest! - in about an hour to an hour and a half. You could serve it with rice. Easy, and cheap as chips.

Goya's quiches are absolutely beautiful, but not cheap. So maybe a chicken casserole yourself (dirt cheap) and a goya's quiche (not cheap) - but on balance together, both reasonable and both delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Taco buffet?
    All you need:
    • ground beef
    • couple heads of lettuce
    • tomatoes
    • salsa
    • sour cream
    • shredded cheese
    • tortilla chips
    • olives
    • jalepenos

hmm, maybe I could force myself to do one of the dishes!

Mixed age group, so taco is out for some of the older people - lasagna is probably pushing it for them even!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I catered my own wedding (35 people) - which was in the middle of my final exams.

It's really not that difficult :)

I didn't have a meal as such, but I had enough finger foods that everyone was well fed.

Lasagna is a doddle to put together, and so is quiche especially if you buy the pie crust ready made. Actually, Quiche is one of the easiest things in the world to make if you buy the pie crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

I've heard good things about Clodagh Mor Catering:

http://www.cmcatering.net/

She's local and would probably be able to sort you out with what you're looking for. I know that she does a lot of in-house meals for clients, along with the typical weddings, christenings, etc.

Hope that helps,

Brian

What about Mortells or KC Blakes pantry in Salthill, do either of those do family sized meals?

buzz55 wrote: »
    What about Mortells or KC Blakes pantry in Salthill, do either of those do family sized meals?

Where's Mortells? Do you mean Mortons in Salthill? KC Blakes Pantry is really lovely, but expensive. Maybe they'd do a discount for more quantity?

oops, yes, I do mean Mortons.

Might give KC Blakes a shout, stuff is expensive but nice. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Tip. The frozen food is cheaper than the non-frozen in KC Blakes Pantry i.e. the exact same food. I'd say it must be that it only lasts so long when unfrozen then they can freeze it and sell it for longer as frozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

wud they eat potatoe and pea madras curry to be exact the one they sell in the market on saturdays in town, they sell a large bucket of it for €45 think its twenty servings or more..they have a kitchen in westside behind Ballard house just cant think of the name right now

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, that curry seems very popular. Is it the one in the white styrofoam containers?

Between everyone's likes & dislikes, Lasagna & quiche really seem to be the safest options. Roast potatoes, salad & garlic bread & that should be me sorted. I'll have seperate birthday cake anyway.

So I'm going to look in town today, see where I can source a large, home made lasagna, going to get the quiche in Goyas I think. Salads etc. I'm not sure.

Thanks for all your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

biko wrote: »
    Yeah, that curry seems very popular. Is it the one in the white styrofoam containers?

yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

axiom32 wrote: »
    wud they eat potatoe and pea madras curry to be exact the one they sell in the market on saturdays in town, they sell a large bucket of it for €45 think its twenty servings or more..they have a kitchen in westside behind Ballard house just cant think of the name right now

Would love to get my hands on that curry. Absolutily lovely, but it's damn expensive for some potato and peas tbh - i'll still buy it every time I pass though :p

If it was just me & friends, it'd be that curry all the way. But my auld fella'd probably think I was trying to poison him if I tried to get him to eat curry :rolleyes:

A friend of a friend is my new possible option - does quite a bit of cooking in her spare time, regularly does stuff for christenings/communions etc, so may be able to rustle up some lasagna & quiche for me. Fingers crossed that she has the time!

wonder can you freeze the curry you get in the markets? Would almost chance a big pot/tub of it if you could, would be great to tuck in to after a night on the tiles :D

Advertisement