Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marraige question

• 06-02-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

If you first get legally married in a registry office can you then later marry that same person in a Catholic church?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hmm, not totally sure, those more educated than me on such matters will know - 2 of my in-laws had civil ceremonies then were married in the church afterwards (they were getting married in the church in a different country).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would imagine that it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

As far as I am aware you can. My ex married his now wife in a RO in the USA and then got married in a Catholic ceremony in Galway Cathedral. So if a swanky Cathedral is good enough I'm sure a run of the mill church is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Hmm, not totally sure, those more educated than me on such matters will know - 2 of my in-laws had civil ceremonies then were married in the church afterwards (they were getting married in the church in a different country).

so.. your not sure if its possible to do, but 2 of your inlaws did it.. hmm :pac:

Im 99.99999% sure its doable as you get married in the 'eyes of god', not the government etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

red_ice wrote: »
    so.. your not sure if its possible to do, but 2 of your inlaws did it.. hmm :pac:

Im 99.99999% sure its doable as you get married in the 'eyes of god', not the government etc
    Hey, i'm blonde! The reason why I was not certain was because in one case it was a mixed marriage and they had a civil and COE marriage in South Africa and then a RC marriage in Portugal, the other couple had a civil ceremony in Ireland and got married in a RC service in Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Thanks for the replies guys. I had assumed that you could, but as an extension of this question, could you marry a different person after having been "only legally" married before? Does the church take civil marriages into account at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

You will need to speak to the priest where you plan getting married.

Laws differ from country to country.

Canon law on this is complicated.

And much depends on the previous status of the couple.

In many cases, the priest will give a Blessing.

RKDus wrote: »
    If you first get legally married in a registry office can you then later marry that same person in a Catholic church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

RKDus wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I had assumed that you could, but as an extension of this question, could you marry a different person after having been "only legally" married before? Does the church take civil marriages into account at all?

Yes you could marry another person in a church. You can marry civilly as many times as you like and then marry once in the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Depends how the marriage ended; RC does not recognise divorce so priest may agree to bless the civil marriage then.

Talk to your priest is the only answer as they have a lot of discretion in these matters depending on individual circumstances.

Yes you could marry another person in a church. You can marry civilly as many times as you like and then marry once in the church.

Advertisement