Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs to Flat Roof-Help??

Options
  • 06-02-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My grandmother's roof over the extension is leaking. Its a quite old house, the flat roof built in two stages, one part is covered in rough felt, and the other is a smooth black material, presumably bitumen??
    My question is, is there any way of repairing the roof without spending a fortune? Any patches i can get??

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bugnut

HI

You can get a variety of roof repair compounds in your local B&Q.

If you have identified a specific hole or weak point there are latex and bitumen products that work well....make sure you read the label and if there is standing water or the roof has not had a chance to dry out fully then get a compound you can apply in the wet.Good idea to dust with compound with sand - it helps it kinda bond together and provides a little sun cover.

If there is a leak at the join between the wall and roof then some self adhesive flashing can do the trick for a good while. get the one with the silvery backing it lasts longer in the sun !........no really even though we dont see it much, roofs get the UV all day and you would be surprised the effect it has on tar etc.

You can also get self adhesive Felting in a roll.
    Now this is where you get into more than just a temp fix.
    Whilst not out of the ability of any handy person it can be a big job.Again depends on the size of the repair area.

Is it leaking ie seeping or really dripping/flowing in?
    How big is the area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

You want to be careful with this. I had a leaky flat kitchen roof(very leaky). I took down parts of the plaster on the kitchen and saw that mold had spread the whole roof. I took down all the plaster, the mold smelled like crap. I replaced it all, new wood roof, and flat roofed over. It cost 1300. That doesn't include plastering the ceiling (Im renovating, so Im replastering all of downstairs.) Now your gran's roof might not be in such a bad state, but the water might have spread. pm me if you want the number of the contracters I used.

Advertisement