Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Value of Grass

Options
  • 06-02-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey Guys an Gals,

I am wondering what value farmers put on grass over other feed types, after all it is the cheapest form of feeding stock these days.
    Would people ever consider reseeding and what methods of reseeding do you prefer?
    A bit of market research on my behalf so any comments appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Colmm23 wrote: »
    Hey Guys an Gals,

I am wondering what value farmers put on grass over other feed types, after all it is the cheapest form of feeding stock these days.
    Would people ever consider reseeding and what methods of reseeding do you prefer?
    A bit of market research on my behalf so any comments appreciated.:)

There was a nice thread going on it a couple of months back - some quality info. Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310385

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Thanks rellig,

Plenty of info there alright. What i'm looking at is a new way of reseeding and wanted to see if anyone had used it, basically its direct seeding using a machine like this http://www.duncanag.co.nz/products/seed-drills/renovator/renovator-mk3 . Has anyone any experience of this method.
    Currently we use plough and a one pass and we recently bought a disc harrow to open up new oppurtunities without the need to plough.
    Looking at this machine now to cut out a lot of labour on farmers behalf and make reseeding more attractive and cost effective.

What ya think, would it be a runner??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Colmm23 wrote: »
    Thanks rellig,

Plenty of info there alright. What i'm looking at is a new way of reseeding and wanted to see if anyone had used it, basically its direct seeding using a machine like this http://www.duncanag.co.nz/products/seed-drills/renovator/renovator-mk3 . Has anyone any experience of this method.
    Currently we use plough and a one pass and we recently bought a disc harrow to open up new oppurtunities without the need to plough.
    Looking at this machine now to cut out a lot of labour on farmers behalf and make reseeding more attractive and cost effective.

What ya think, would it be a runner??

Its basically a one pass system with discs to cut the soil and spring tynes to prepare the seed bed. There are hundreds of farmers across Ireland using similar machines. They are a great way of reseeding. I would see no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

reilig wrote: »
    Its basically a one pass system with discs to cut the soil and spring tynes to prepare the seed bed. There are hundreds of farmers across Ireland using similar machines. They are a great way of reseeding. I would see no problem with it.

Your half way there, what it actually does is cuts the sod with the disc and the spring tine actually has a T shaped shoe to open up a track at a pre set depth and drop the seed in and the track falls closed again. So you go out and spray off the old grass and sow your new grass with this machine and close the gate on the way out. Just watch your grass grow with no labour what so ever!

Advertisement