Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simultaneous USB and NAS access

• 06-02-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Cutting a long story short I have a PVR that utilises a USB hard drive for storage.

I'm looking for a combined USB/ NAS device that will allow the PVR to use the hard drive via USB as normal but then also to have it connected to the network so that my PC's can access the recorded TV files, I know there are devices that have both connections but will any work the way I want??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 thatoneitguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

No mention in the manual that you can use the USB and NAS functions at the same time to access the data.

I just need something that can allow access from the Network and USB port at the same time, there seems to be lots of caddy type devices out there that have both but (unfortunately) none that work in this way.

I won't give up my search just yet though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sparkly1982

Firstly, let me apologise for resurrecting quite an old thread, but I think I may have a possible solution. I am looking for something similar to this, I have a TV in my bedroom with a USB port and I have been using a USB thumb drive to transfer media from my PC to it for late-night and hungover viewing which works fine. I'd like to be able to connect in a more direct way though. I was wondering if perhaps a USB/NAS adapter combined with a USB switch ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99218 ) would work. The switch could be set to connect to the NAS adapter and the TV instead of two PCs. Set the switch to connect the drive to the NAS adapter and I have a small NAS device, switch it the other way and I've got my USB drive and TV connected in the same way as normal. the only problem I can foresee with this is if the NAS adapter won't allow hot-swapping of the USB drives. Does anyone have one of these and know if this works?

Granted, it's not simultaneous access, but it doesn't look like there is a device that offers this, and I think this is about as close as it gets. Does anyone have a more suitable solution yet?

Advertisement