Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 1: Bubs101 vs Melion

• 06-02-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭

Ok...
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Team name=Bubsies Babes

MNG, why would you lie, this is the classiest team in the draft

First Pick: Crisitiano Ronaldo
    2312787586_d477404469.jpg
    One of only two world players of the year in the draft he also boasts a Champion's League to his name. Lethal with his feet and in the air is the most versatile attacking option in the draft

Second Pick: Gary Neville
    gary_neville.jpg
    The best and most consistent right back in the history of the Premiership as shown by his amount of honours and positions in various PFA teams of the year. Started for two generations of great Man Utd teams

Third Pick: Joe Cole
    joe_cole.jpg
    One of my favourite players he is the perfect man to compliment Ronaldo. Both have played and excelled in the system and both can play on each wing. Has a great pass and can beat men easily

Fourth Pick: Jay Jay Okocha
    1816.jpg
    Bolton's best player for years, he is the luxury man that my two defensive midfielders allow.The former African player of the year is great with the ball and capable of winning games single handedly on his day

Fifth Pick: Ledley King
    LedleyKing_547050.jpg
    Tottenham's talisman when Sol left is a great athletic defender. Solid as a rock in the air and pacey for a big man. Also a consumate professional

Sixth Pick: Dennis Wise
    _44445348_chelspurs17.jpg
    The Eddie Guerrero of football, willing to do anything it takes to win the game. When he's not trying to fondle Ian Wright he is an energetic bulldog in midfield capable of winning midfield battles against the likes of Keane and Viera in his heyday. Also a great leader and the captain of my team

Seventh Pick: Richard Dunne
    dunne.jpg
    The poor man's John Terry must have been doing something right to win Man City's player of the year four times in a row, a remarkable achievement in itself. Phenomenal positioning coupled with great strength and a good ariel presence, his lack of pace should be covered by my eighth pick

Eighth Pick: Wayne Bridge
    wb.jpg
    The man who was effectively screwed out of a Chelsea place because they had to justify the fee payed for the constantly dissapointing Cole had always impressed when given the chance. His quality passing, tactical sense and pace recently commanded a 12 million pound transfer fee

Ninth Pick: Magnus Hedman
    15hed.jpg
    A great keeper with a phenomenal wife he kept Coventry in the Premiership for years with outstanding performances behind a ramshackle defence. Perhaps the best evidence of his quality was that he got signed by Chelsea based on his past brilliance despite his career dipping dramatically once he left Coventry

Tenth Pick: Alan Boksic
    boksic200BBC.jpg
    The former runner up World Player of the year may have been in the twighlight of his career when he joined Borough but he was the highest paid player in the Premierhsip and scored 20 goals in 48 games in a simply pitiful team

Eleventh Pick: Edgar Davids
    davids_edgar_thfc_profile_2006.jpg
    One of the most iconic players in the game who's CV reads the greatest clubs of the 90s helped Spurs to their best Premiership finish ever. One of the best passes of a defensive midfielder as well

Tactics
    Hedman

Neville
    King----Dunne----Bridge

Davids
    Wise(c)

Okocha

Ronaldo
    J.Cole

Boksic

I'm very happy with my team, and would probably only change one pick if I could.

Starting from the back I have 3 guys who were/are the defensive talisman for their clubs in King, Dunne and Hedman who have numerous supporters player of the year between them (rarities for a defensive player). They are extremely solid at the back and that's where they'll stay (no goal keeping corners for Hedman). I have the best right back ever in Neville and in Bridge I have a quality left back with a great pass. Dunne plays beside Bridge to help cover his lack of pace. They will be a Mourinho-esque back four in that they are full backs and strictly full backs. None of this left backs running to the front. Both have shown that they can do this.

The midfield is the real crowning joy of my team. Wise and Davids will harry the opposition and get me the ball, I feel they complement each other well as Wise will break the rules as much as possible to get the ball whereas Davids has the continental experience to play well tactically, read the game and has a good pass to. Okocha in essence has a free role, he will be used to get the ball to Cole and Ronaldo but obviously will be encouraged to dribble up the field.

Ronaldo and Cole compliment each other fantastically. The worlds best player and Chelsea's best from last year can play on both sides and love running at defenders. In essence, they will be constantly swapping wings and if one has no luck against a fullback, they can swap so the other can take a crack at him. Needless to say Ronaldo will be my main attacking threat in the team.

Boksic will be working of scraps and crosses. He won't be expected to do much running, just use his technichal skill to make the most of chances when he gets them. His guile and experience should help him get free positionally while his time abroad (particularly in Italy) will have forced him to play in many different tactics so he should have no trouble adapting to this one. His goal ratio was very impressive while playing with Noel Whelan and co so it's not unrealistic to expect him to improve while playing with a higher quality team

Which Team Would perform better over the course of a league season? 24 votes

Bubs101
    0%
    Melion
    100%
    PiEDont be at yourselfPepe LeFritseirebhoySuprSiwardiemayordenisJazzyMr.Nice GuyshoutmanpatmacditpokerTrippieKingdomXavi6redzerdrogFrisbeeBubs101WreckIdu 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

vs
    Melion wrote: »
    Team Name: Limerpool

Managed By: Melion

Formation: Ive picked players who i feel can adapt to either a basic 442 or can switch to 3-5-2 when needed.

442:

Given
    Johnson--Wright--Hyypia--Babayaro
    Anderton--Tugay--Lee--Luis Garcia
    Sheringham--Yakubu

352(Wingbacks)

Given
    --Johnson--Wright--Hyypia
    Anderton
    Babayaro
    Tugay--Lee

Luis Garcia
    ----Sheringham--Yakubu----

Goalkeeper..Shay Given
    shay-given.JPG
    When choosing my first player i thought it was important to put down a good starting point and no better place than in goals. I feel ive got one of the top 3 keepers to ever play in the Premiership. I can be assured of not conceding too many with Given in my team.

Right Back..Glen Johnson
    Glen_Johnson_626532.jpg
    A lot of people consider this one of the weakest areas on the football pitch. I think its a great place to start your attacks. In Johnson i feel ive got one of the best attacking fullbacks currently playing in the Premiership. Great pace and a great crosser of the ball. Will be invaluable to my team.

Left Back..Celestine Babayaro
    Celestine_Babayaro_625670.jpg
    One of the fastest players to ever play in the Premiership. Will be excellent down my left wing to whip in balls when Luis Garcia has moved in field. I think the 2 of these will compliment each other brilliantly.

Centre Half..Sami Hyypia
    sami_hyypia.jpg
    One of the best defenders to ever play in the Premiership, its that simple. Has been a rock for Liverpool for close to 10 years now. Delighted to have him in my team, his reading of the game is second to none. Not many strikers will have a good day against him and Wrighty.

Centre Half..Mark Wright
    wright2.jpg
    Along with Sami, a great reader of the game. This attribute along with my fullbacks will make sure pacey strikers arent a problem for my defence. Will put his head in front of anything to ensure a clean sheet. Both of my centre halves will be a big threat from any set-pieces that come my way also.

Right Midfield..Darren Anderton
    darren_anderton1_203_203x152.jpg
    A great pick at the stage i picked him up. As i said before, if not for the emergence of one David Beckham im sure he would be regarded much higher in England. A solid right winger, great crosser of the ball and will always pop up with a goal or 2.

Left Midfield..Luis Garcia
    461150_mediumsquare.jpg
    Every team needs one. That one player who will infuriate you for 89 minutes but will then pop up with a moment of magic to win you the game and Little Luis is my teams magician. Will be given a free role in the team after starting on the left. His ability in the hole behind the strikers is brilliant, can see a pass many others cant. Guaranteed to get a goal too.

Central Midfield..Tugay
    Tugay_Kerimoglu_609202.jpg
    My teams engine room is probably the strongest part of the 11. With Tugay, you get a player who will run for the full 90 minutes but also a great passer of the ball. Ferocious in the tackle and also an eye for goal which i think is very important from my midfield.

Central Midfield..Rob Lee
    FDBA0018-A37C-0818-1A26337607627FEE.jpg
    This mans ability to score goals from midfield was amazing. Early in his career he was a free-scoring midfielder, later adapting to a holding midfielder. I think himself and Tugay will be an amazing partnership and the steel they will provide to the centre of my team will make sure nobody will be able to get a clear run at my defence.

Striker..Yakubu
    Aiyegbeni_Yakubu_811775.jpg
    The Beast, simple as that. With this man up front, no defence will have an easy day. He will run at and harass them all day. His power alone will scare most defenders in this draft and then he has the pace to get away from the rest. I think him and Teddy would make an incredible partnership.

Striker..Teddy Sheringham
    sheringham_teddy_whfc_profile_2004.jpg
    The brains to go with the brawn of Yakubu. One of the most intelligent players to grace the premiership. Never had electric pace but never needed it. Along with Garcia, Tugay and Rob Lee i think that i have put together one of the best passing teams in the draft and Yakubu will thrive on the amount of chances that Teddy will put on for him.

Captain..Teddy Sheringham
    Free-Kicks..Tugay and Teddy Sheringham
    Penalties..Teddy Sheringham

Defence
    As i said above, this team is mainly going to line out as a 442 but can easily switch to a 352 if its ever needed. Starting from the back i feel ive put together a very solid defence, i dont see any weak link. Anybody hoping to attack my team with pace will fail due to the pace my fullbacks possess and my centre halves ability to read the game in front of them. Anyone hoping to beat me in the air will have no success as ive got 2 of the best headers of the ball in the centre of my defence. I really dont see an easy way past my back 4. And if the unthinkable did happen and a striker does get through, they would have the near impossible task of beating Shay Given.

Midfield
    In Tugay and Rob Lee, i feel ive got a very hard working engine room. Neither are afraid of a tackle, both have the vision to lay balls on for my strikers and both can be relied on for a goal themselves. A very strong unit in the centre complimented by the hard work and graft of Darren Anderton on the right. Can easily cut into the centre if he is needed just to shore things up a bit. And, just like Tugay and Rob Lee, he can be relied upon for a goal. Out on the left, you have Luis Garcia. As i said in the draft pick, ridiculously infuriating a lot of the time but i think every team should have a player like him. He has the ability to totally change a game with just one flick of his boot. Will have to be watched at all times and his ability to cut in from the left will make sure none of the oppositions right backs will get time to bomb upfield.

Attack
    I think Yakubu and Sheringham will compliment each other perfectly, with Yakubu feeding off the genius and vision of Sheringham i think he will get a lot of chances. With his power and pace he will be pulling strikers all over the place to let the midfield pile into the box to put away any chances that fall their way from Sheringhams knock-ons.

Final Thoughts
    When i seen my team down in the order they were picked i was a little underwhelmed. But thinking about the tactics and how they would all play together, i think ive put together a very solid team. Not a lot will get past my tough tackling midfield(Bar Garcia), if it does it will have to contend with very quick fullbacks and excellent centre halves along with Shay Given. All in all, im very happy with how my 11 finished up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Melion
    Think that my wingers here are just too good for Johnson and Babayaro to contend with, especially Babayaro. If Melion plans on using his wing backs to attack Ronaldo and Cole are going to run wild and considering Boksic got 20 goals in 48 games for Middlesbrough with a pathetic supporting cast he should revel from the delivery of Cole, the V7per and Okocha

Advertisement